Corsair Community

60GB Force 3 Drive- Slow performance? Any Ideas?

Today I just bought a 60GB Force 3 SSD with an advertised sustained read/write spec of 550/490.

I did a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit with AHCI enabled in the bios before install. Once I booted into windows for the first time I installed the latest drivers for my mobo and then tested the SSD's performance via "AS SSD Performance" and "Crystaldiskmark", both gave similar #'s as the screenshot below shows. I know the 550/490 read/writes are when using SATA3, but I should be getting higher numbers non the less on my SATA2 ports.

I tried different cables, updated to latest mobo bios, changed drive settings in bios settings, different ports on the mobo, but the best I can get is in the screenshot below. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do here?

Thanks in advance,

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/kentmocc/movedsatato6row.jpg

Here is my score with my F120GB3.

http://content.screencast.com/users/TheOne687/folders/Jing/media/84528bdc-1e1f-4e95-b8cc-e00481411f9a/2011-07-23_0141.png

It is recommended by Corsair to use ATTO Benchmark to calculate your SSD's speed as that is what they used to measure the drives.

259MB/s Write

277MB/s Read

http://content.screencast.com/users/TheOne687/folders/Jing/media/c82fd1f4-9d6c-4306-8ac9-9ac1966afc4a/2011-07-23_0148.png

Thanks for the reply with the screenshots, that was very helpful!

After some more research it seems our reads are inline with everyone else, but our writes are a bit low. Here is a screenshot from a review of the 120gb.

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/asssd3-300x298.png

Weird thing is, after I messed around with my settings my writes could never go back into the 80mb range, they now cant go higher then 60mb and no matter what Ive done (replicating what Ive done before) cant get it to go back to 80mb writes. sheesh.

Me and CorForce3 are using SATAII.

Also I believe that review was using the F120GB3 with SATAIII which may help explain the higher write, they are also using one of the defective drives with the 1.0 firmware.

Those numbers are right for SATA2 then.

The issue I had was that I was getting SATA2 speeds on a SATA3 port. I don't know what happened but I guess my drive sorted itself out because I'm getting >450MB/s for Seq. R/W in ATTO. It's still not SATA3 rated speeds but a lot closer than the SATA2 speeds I was getting.

Also keep in mind that AS SSD will yield lower scores because it uses a different benching technique. The only way you'll see rated speeds (or close to) is by using ATTO.

Me and CorForce3 are using SATAII.

Also I believe that review was using the F120GB3 with SATAIII which may help explain the higher write, they are also using one of the defective drives with the 1.0 firmware.

yeah, thats correct they are using a p67 chipset with SATA3 in that review, but 138MB/s is no where near the limit for Sata2. I know there is overhead, but it shouldnt be so drastic.

Did you do any windows tweaking?

Try a different sata port or try a different cable.

You might be limited to your p45 chipset.

Write back cache enabled?

yes, windows was tweaked...

Drive indexing disabled.

Prefetch disabled.

Superfetch disabled

Defrag disabled

write back cache is enabled

Ive tried different ports and different cables with no success

so my problem is that initially when I did some benchmarks I was getting 80MB/s writes, now no matter what I do I cant get above 60MB/s.

This is after a fresh Win7 Ulti 64bit install, mobo driver install, SP1 Install. I tried it at every step of the way and it was the same.

yeah, thats correct they are using a p67 chipset with SATA3 in that review, but 138MB/s is no where near the limit for Sata2. I know there is overhead, but it shouldnt be so drastic.

Keep in mind that AS SSD isn't meant to be an accurate benchmark of everyday use on SSD's, and that the score KitGuru recieved in their review was achieved with the drive running at its full speed.

Try testing your drive with ATTO Benchmark.

Keep in mind that AS SSD isn't meant to be an accurate benchmark of everyday use on SSD's, and that the score KitGuru recieved in their review was achieved with the drive running at its full speed.

Try testing your drive with ATTO Benchmark.

yeah, I benchmarked with ATTO and it gave me the same 259MB write /277MB reads as you, but Im just perplexed that I cant get the same 80MB writes as I did before in my initial benchmarking with AS SSD, now I just get 60MB/s.

I installed the sata3 60gb yesterday ASSSD benchmark is pants, on sata 6gb's AHCI ....the two "other" ssds i had blitzed this score. Why are the seq read writes so low? I got the full 350 read and 80 write with my "other" drives which was the stated speeds

Surely this ssd should be showing somewhere near its rated seq speeds, not 200 and 80 and a paltry 16.50 4K read, and total score 370! :mad:

"other" drives total read were for the 64gb 560 and the 128gb 664

650403886_Force31stBench.PNG.a3a4a6a9d0b196732ef768edd2a58430.PNG

I installed the sata3 60gb yesterday ASSSD benchmark is pants, on sata 6gb's AHCI ....the two "other" ssds i had blitzed this score. Why are the seq read writes so low? I got the full 350 read and 80 write with my "other" drives which was the stated speeds

Surely this ssd should be showing somewhere near its rated seq speeds, not 200 and 80 and a paltry 16.50 4K read, and total score 370! :mad:

AS SSD uses incompressible data, Synchronous memory handles that better than Asynchronous, which is the primary difference between the Force 3 series and the Force GT series.

Here is SSD Reviews comparison of the 2 drives with AS SSD.

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/corsair-force-series-gt-120gb-sata-3-ssd-review-as-ssd-benchmarks-and-anvil-storage-utility-beta/

Use the ATTO benchmark and see what you get

In atto this gets more then my other two drives which did get their stated speeds (which was less than this drive), surely this should be way higher in asssd?

like 200 seq read and 80 write lol, This drive cost more than the ones Ive sold to get it and performs rubbish in asssd the others did not. they said on the tin 350 read 70 write and that's what they got, well 80 write in fact. As in my OP the total Asssd scores for my other drives left this standing. There's a hell of a difference, in 560, 664 and this drives 370. I want to know why it gets such low scores. Even if asssd is testing with the worst case senario it didn't affect my previous drives to the extent it does this one.

Ive also had the system freeze 3 times since I installed drive yesterday, and strange things happening, like windows explorer stopping working....

Ok lets try it this way here are the last benchmarks Ive just done, and will be the last. They are ASSSD in sata 3 and 6 gb/s, followed by the same in ATTO

ASSSD results are virtually identical regardless of what sata the drive is on, ATTO as you would expect gets twice as much.

What then is stopping the ASSSD benchmark getting twice as much in Sata6 GB/s opposed to 3GB/s? What is lacking in these drives ?

Here's the crux, If ATTO didn't exist this Force Sata3 SSD would score as a sata2 SSD running at speeds up to 3gb/s!

1605559856_Force3sata6gbsatto.PNG.18b1c7fc47d04958e2ecfe0029fcf222.PNG

87738289_Force3sata3gbsatto.PNG.4037c4c608d0ea5bc1ed09cb0811165b.PNG

439390715_Force3sata6gbs.PNG.e5f43e391413bca097d0089f3bfab2af.PNG

1713196855_Force3sata3gbs.PNG.13e602f5ae922be321ddb4e252583189.PNG

Ok lets try it this way here are the last benchmarks Ive just done, and will be the last. They are ASSSD in sata 3 and 6 gb/s, followed by the same in ATTO

ASSSD results are virtually identical regardless of what sata the drive is on, ATTO as you would expect gets twice as much.

What then is stopping the ASSSD benchmark getting twice as much in Sata6 GB/s opposed to 3GB/s? What is lacking in these drives ?

As stated before the Force 3 uses asynchronous memory, and that AS SSD uses incompressible data. The Force 3 series is also supposed to be a more consumer friendly drive, providing a decent drive at a lower price, and as far as speed and price goes it does that very well, which is why so many review sites recommend it, but as far as actual drive stability it is clear that Corsair’s current line lacks that on a wide variety of setups. The Force GT on the other hand is supposed to be a higher end product which is why it cost more and uses synchronous memory which handles incompressible data much quicker.

Here's the crux, If ATTO didn't exist this Force Sata3 SSD would score as a sata2 SSD running at speeds up to 3gb/s!

If AS SSD didn't exist you would probably be happy with the performance of the drive.

What do I use to get the advertised Random Write 4K: 80k iops? or somewhere near there

all the test iops here add up to nearl that lol, is that the 80k iops? Still getting random freeze ups too. So NO if asssd never existed i wouldnt be happy with this drive.

I said you would be happy with the peformance not the stability, you could try disabling LPM (Link State Power Managment) in Power Options or trying some of the suggestions made here and on other forums by Tech Support working with drives using the SF-2281 controller.

Force Series 3 Users Having Issues with a Replacement Drive READ HERE PLEASE

The benchmarks used to test the drives performance are detailed in the blog post below, it was released before the drives and is written by "Yellowbeard".

Corsair Force Series 3 SSDs are Now with Us

Also note that for maximum performance Corsair recommends Intel's SATAIII as it is what they used and is slightly faster than AMD's SATAIII.

I just got a mobo that has SATA3 and ran the AS SSD and ATTO benches again.

There is absolutely no difference in any of the #'s going from SATA2 to SATA3 for AS SSD.

However in ATTO there was a difference. Now its 540Mb Read / 455Mb Write on SATA3 as apposed to SATA2 which was 277Mb Read / 259Mb Write

There is absolutely no difference in any of the #'s going from SATA2 to SATA3 for AS SSD.

However in ATTO there was a difference. Now its 540Mb Read / 455Mb Write on SATA3 as apposed to SATA2 which was 277Mb Read / 259Mb Write

Did you Secure Erase the drive before you installed Windows on the new MB?

Then your drive was topping out AS SSD at SATAII speeds, also keep in mind that Benchmarks add to the wear of a drive and shouldn't be run so often.

No you wont get a difference in ASSSD on sata 2 or 3, see my earlier posts (and the responses) Dont bother secure erasing either as has been suggested, it will make NO difference. Theres SOMETHING amiss with these drives with ASSSD and I do not think it's just because it writes incompressible data.

No you wont get a difference in ASSSD on sata 2 or 3, see my earlier posts (and the responses) Dont bother secure erasing either as has been suggested, it will make NO difference. Theres SOMETHING amiss with these drives with ASSSD and I do not think it's just because it writes incompressible data.

Secure Erasing is prefered before installing an Operating System to a SSD.

A Force GT user posted some benchmarks, he was rather thorough. Keep in mind that the reason why he can maintain a higher Read is because of the NAND used on the GT.

Hey guys!!

Thought I'd just post some benchmarks for this

BENCHMARKS:

ATTO (SATA3)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/gaern88/Rig/Corsair_ForceGT1208.jpg

CDM (SATA3)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/gaern88/Rig/Corsair_ForceGT1209.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/gaern88/Rig/Corsair_ForceGT12010.jpg

Now; I know this pretty much defeats the purpose of getting a SATA 3 drive, but how exactly does the GT stack up on SATA 2?

BENCHMAKRS (SATA2):

ATTO (SATA2)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/gaern88/Rig/Corsair_ForceGT12011.jpg

CDM (SATA2)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/gaern88/Rig/Corsair_ForceGT12012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/gaern88/Rig/Corsair_ForceGT12013.jpg

And there u go! Thanks for reading!

Secure Erasing is prefered before installing an Operating System to a SSD.

Yes, Iam aware of that it's that you were pointing to that being maybe why no difference on sata 2 and sata 3 in ASSSD results, my drive as you are aware is the same...

Anyway, behold a new firmware, lets see...... :D:

Archived