Corsair Community

SSD Force 3 240 GB Freezes and BSOD on Win7 64bits

mfu

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo T410 Laptop, on which I replaced the boot disk with a Force 3 240GB. I have had quite a few issues at start, but after: BIOS upgrade, AHCI upgrate (intel version) and firmware upgrade (1.3.3) the system boots and works. However I still have an irregular BSOD.

Usually the BSOD happen after a 10-20s freeze of the system. The errror is usually IN PAGE MEMORY ERROR which seems to be linked to the paging system loosing access to the HD. Sometimes I also loose access to the SSD (HD error at boot) at reboot, removing power usually solves the issue.

Any recomendation on solving this issue ?

Best regards,

M'Fu

Having the exact same issue and assuming I just have a lemon as I have owned several other brands with no probs. I am going to exchange and try the same drive again. Will repost and see what happens. I am fearful that the whole line of Force 3 s are duds as I see posts like this everywhere with lots of crazy workarounds that should no be necessary. I hope that the new drive works as I was a huge fan of Corsair product until now. Am losing many hours of work and family time for this

Quick update:

my laptop BSOD again this morning.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR with a STOP 0x0000007A

-> which is related to kernel paging not able to access the disk according to Microsoft Knowledge Base.

One can also notice that the physical memory dump FAILED with status 0xC0000010, that, in my opinion, is also a matter of the SSD not being accessible.

Finally, when the system first rebooted, the disk was not accessible, another reboot solved the issue.

Further investigation show that second parameter of the BSDO error : C000056 is the error code returned by the driver, it seems that this error code is defined in ntstatus.h, the meaning I could find (in wine source code) shows:

#define STATUS_DELETE_PENDING ((NTSTATUS) 0xC0000056)

Would TRIM be the issue ?

BTW ntstatus 0xC0000010, which is the error notified during the memory dump is:

#define STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST ((NTSTATUS) 0xC0000010)

which seems to show that the drive is actually not visible at the time of the memory dump.

The last two-three times it happens after a few minutes of usage after a resume from sleep. few beeing 2 to 5 minutes.

The laptop recovers from sleep without any problem, but the freezees, disk access led blinks steadily and then I get a blue screen.

This morning, the case was a little bit different, the all computer froze after 5 minutes of usage, I had to cut the power to regain access to it.

After most of the crash I got the windows 7 repair tools running, without finding any solution, I just ran the sfc /scannow:

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

No issue found.

-Is there a AHCI Option in the BIOS?

-Have you tried the new IRST drivers?

Link

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng

How to Install the Driver

Download the files according to the version you have

x64 = x64

x86 = x32

Make a new folder and extract the files there.

Click the start menu and type "Device Manager" (No quotes) then press enter.

A screen will pop up and click "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Then Right click "Intel® XXXXXX SATA AHCI Controleller (This will be different depending on your chipset.

Select Update Driver software and then browse my comptuer.

Then click Browse and find the folder where you placed the files there.

Click Next and it should say it has installed.

It may tell you to restart your computer and click yes.

To confirm the drivers was installed right click the controller and then press properties and click the "drivers" tab.

-Try removing the Registry fix (known as LPM fix)

AHCI is activated in the BIOS

I am using

; ** Filename: iaAHCI.INF

; ** Revision: Version 10.8.0.1003

; ** Date: 10/17/2011

; ** Abstract: Windows* INF File for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Which according to the link provided is the latest version. I confirmed in the driver management console that it is the actual driver used.

I will de-activate the registry trick and see how is goes.

In the mean time, I had two complete freeze of the system, and one bluescreen. Those where during normal usage of the system, not rigth after a resume from sleep. None of these events generated a dump file. The error of the bluescreen remain the sames, error in accessing the pagefile.

I'll let you know how it goes with the LPM removed.

Thanks for the advice,

M'Fu

Thanks for the advise, however I am looking for a less destructive approche (if possible).

I guess there is no workaround for this destructive method, otherwise it would have been mentioned in the FW upgrading instructions or posted by other users in this forum.

You can backup your OS and restore it after SecureErase, but there is a small chance that the issue will be restored as well. Only a clean installation will help in this case.

@Toasted,

I am not sure I removed the LPM registry correctly, here is my current setup:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"AN"=dword:00000000

"LPM"=dword:00000001

"LPMSTATE"=dword:00000000

"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000001

"GTF"=dword:00000001

"DIPM"=dword:00000001

Is this correct ? I applied the same on all Ports.

(I did not backup the entry before applying the patch :-( )

I got to get a picture of the other kind of BSOD, the one that freezes the machines, I attached the picture to this message, sadly, still no dump, guess the drive is not available at that moment.

Thanks for your help, most appreciated.

M'Fu

1845993186_20111128BSOD_s.thumb.jpg.7b41e2046248b87527a6f1ee61794f91.jpg

I guess there is no workaround for this destructive method, otherwise it would have been mentioned in the FW upgrading instructions or posted by other users in this forum.

You can backup your OS and restore it after SecureErase, but there is a small chance that the issue will be restored as well. Only a clean installation will help in this case.

Should I go that way, what are the recommended tools to do it, especially the secure erase.

Best regards,

M'Fu

Should I go that way, what are the recommended tools to do it, especially the secure erase.

You can perform the SecureErase with PartedMagic, just burn it to CD or install it on USB Flash with YUMI.

After SecureErase, reset your CMOS and do a clean Win 7 install.

I am not sure I removed the LPM registry correctly, here is my current setup

To enable LPM your registry setting should look like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000001

“LPMSTATE”=dword:00000001

"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000001

"DIPM"=dword:00000001

I recognized that there are two additional parameters in your registry, "AN" and "GTF". This seems strange to me, do you know the source where you got these settings from?

Anyway, if you have Intel RST installed, it is recommended to disable LPM for the port your SSD is connected to. I attached an archive with .reg files to enable/disable LPM on Port 0 or on all ports.

I got the get a picture of the other kind of BSOD, the one that freezes the machines, I attached the picture to this message, sadly, still no dump, guess the drive is not available at that moment.

Where is it, can't find the picture?

LPM-reg-files.zip

Look in the Registry fix by right clicking and press Edit. Notepad should open and it should show what values it has changed.

-If the BSODs keep coming, Back up your files Secure erase the SSD and re-install Windows. Secure erase is not destructive.

If the BSODs still come after you have tried secure erasing, Submit an RMA.

Here is the BSOD.

I experienced another freeze without BSOD, I got the following event in the evenviewer:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] iaStor

- EventID 9

[ Qualifiers] 49156

Level 2

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-11-29T20:47:57.284525500Z

EventRecordID 483528

Channel System

Computer XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXX

Security

- EventData

\Device\Ide\iaStor0

0F0028000100000000000000090004C011111111090004C0010000000000000067452301EFCDAB89010000000000CCCC2800B0CD40032040000000003C0000001F0000001C7F12681F00000085390074

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 0028000F 00000001 00000000 C0040009

0008: 11111111 C0040009 00000001 00000000

0010: 01234567 89ABCDEF 00000001 CCCC0000

0018: CDB00028 40200340 00000000 0000003C

0020: 0000001F 68127F1C 0000001F 74003985

In Bytes

0000: 0F 00 28 00 01 00 00 00 ..(.....

0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 C0 .......À

0010: 11 11 11 11 09 00 04 C0 .......À

0018: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 67 45 23 01 EF CD AB 89 gE#.ïÍ«‰

0028: 01 00 00 00 00 00 CC CC ......ÌÌ

0030: 28 00 B0 CD 40 03 20 40 (.°Í@. @

0038: 00 00 00 00 3C 00 00 00 ....<...

0040: 1F 00 00 00 1C 7F 12 68 ......h

0048: 1F 00 00 00 85 39 00 74 ....…9.t

I will get rid of the two supicious entries and use your LPM settings.

Keep you posted,

M'Fu

1773521157_20111128BSOD_s.thumb.jpg.0826009a93bf0f0385d8f3bbfce5181d.jpg

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR with a STOP 0x0000007A This is frequently associated with bad RAM , which I don't suspect, or corruption in your Page File, which I do suspect. Simply set "Virtual Memory" to "No Paging File" then reboot and then reenable it. This will flush the corruption. However, continuing to use "sleep" on that laptop will more than likely cause the corruption to reappear, at least until the notebook manufacturer comes up with a BIOS fix.

sidenote: SFC/Scannow only checks for corruption of core Windows files (and their backups). It will not fix corruption elsewhere in the page file.

Hi,

I'm facing similar issues...

I'm using Alienware M17x R3 it support SATA III and after i installed this Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD the system sometimes freezes and stops reposning completely... My SATA operation mode is set to RAID-0 mode since i'm using alienrespawn to make factory image and default mode is set to RAID-0... there were sevaral issues with my earlier firmware 1.2 like windows won't boot and go in repair mode and waste hours and days and do nothing... won't format etc etc... but those were moslty resolved except the few remaining...

Mostly problems are as follows:

1.> System does not shut down and freezes...

2.> System will not boot freeze at welcome screen...

3.> System will not hybernate...

4.> When trying to lauch game or in internet explorer the sytem again freezes...

5.> Occasionally i get BSOD too even in basic windows operation....

I have installed all the latest drivers available so please don not suggest that...; With my SATA II samsung SSD there is not a single issue nor even with normal HDD but only this Corsair SSD can anyone help... Done several reinstall windows but no solution...

Regards!

Regards!

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR with a STOP 0x0000007A This is frequently associated with bad RAM , which I don't suspect, or corruption in your Page File, which I do suspect.

AFAIK this BSOD error is also associated with firmware below 1.3.3. Nonetheless your suggestion seems worth a try.

...there were sevaral issues with my earlier firmware 1.2...

Have you applied the firmware upgrade to 1.3.3?

Done several reinstall windows but no solution...

Have you performed a SecureErase before Windows installation?

AFAIK this BSOD error is also associated with firmware below 1.3.3. Nonetheless your suggestion seems worth a try.

Have you applied the firmware upgrade to 1.3.3?

Have you performed a SecureErase before Windows installation?

Yep i have 1.3.3 that what solved most problems but not listed above...

i did formated drive completely ... is ther some difference between format and secure erase...?

Regards!

i did formated drive completely ... is ther some difference between format and secure erase...?

Yes, there is. SecureErase will securely erase all flash cells on your SSD and reset the device to factory default. A quick format will only create a clean MBR, but data will remain on your drive. A full format is not recommended and may result in bad performance or a faulty drive.

If certain issues still occur after FW upgrading, it is strongly reommended to SecureErase the drive with PartedMagic and do a clean Window installation. Restoring an OS backup may work, but there is a small chance, that the issue will get restored, too.

Btw: It would be helpful to know your system specs, you can post them in your User CP!

Hi,

I tried to go for Secure Erase with Bootable CD of Parted magic but after the it boots from Cd and as soon as it ejects CD (after loading all data in RAM) nothing happens the Screen remain blank (waited 10 minutes)... Any help really apprecaited...

Regards!

vginside,

Out of curiosity, have you recently updated your NVidia video driver. If so, did you download it from the notebook manufacturer or direct from Nvidia? If you downloaded it from Nvidea did you use the Express install method to install it or the Custom install method?

Archived