Corsair Community

Any experience running CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 on Rampage III Extreme?

billrenn

Hi,

I had the system in my profile up and running for a few weeks, but now it won't post after the latest BIOS update thru the ASUS Windows BIOS utility (won't be trying that again!).

ASUS support wanted me to verify that the memory is listed in their QVL and it isn't. However, it is listed in the Corsair compatible products list.

ASUS is sending me a replacement motherboard, after I tried a pair of new BIOS chips from them.

I'd say that it's the BIOS update that caused the problem, but there's always the chance that the memory was at fault.

Question is, am I risking the new motherboard, with memory that isn't expressly listed in the ASUS QVL? Is there a better choice for this motherboard?

Thanks! -Bill

If the system was running fine before the update, then would agree that it was at fault. Those modules are just fine for that MB and chipset. If it shows up on Corsairs compatible list, then they were tested on that MB. Usually ASUS's QVL is soooooo out of date it's not funny.

Question is, am I risking the new motherboard, with memory that isn't expressly listed in the ASUS QVL? Is there a better choice for this motherboard?

Absolutly not.

Never try to update your BIOS within windows. Use the EZ-flash . Much more reliable

Thanks for your reply--much appreciated. That sets my mind at ease. I'll stick with the memory that I have, then and use EZ-Flash from now on.

Yes, I noticed that none of the RAM in the ASUS QVL is available anymore!

Best regards,

-Bill

No problem Bill!

If you are still having problems i would try and reflash the BIOS. then clear your CMOS and insert just one stick and see if it will boot normally. This will give you a chance to set your timings and voltages or XMP, whichever. Then you can add your remaining sticks and it should be okay.

I had attempted to reflash the BIOS like that, but it never succeeded. Don't even hear a beep now, with their replacement BIOS chips.

ASUS support had me remove all but the first stick, plus the hard drives, keyboard, & mouse, and then clear CMOS and turn it onup--but nothing comes up--no screen, no beeps. Guess I'll have to wait for a replacement motherboard.

Archived