Corsair Community

F-120 Force Series 120 GB Part #CSSD-F120GB2 OS doesn't see drive

10-78 f3ba

OK, perused the threads a bit, and I see some issues similar to mine, but I am still a bit sketchy due to mine being an older drive (I have 2 of them; not in RAID, mobo too finicky)

I have never updated the firmware. Twice now I have reinstalled the OS and when I finally get to the desktop and go to My Computer, one is seen (C: drive), other is not. Go to Comp Management and use the Disk Management snap in, and there it is, but I have to assign it a new drive letter. I have formatted repeatedly. I have checked the BIOS reboot after reboot, and the system always sees it. Every single time I reboot or shut down/start up I have to go in and reassign it a new drive letter. I have swapped around the cables using different SATA plugs on my mobo. I am running in ACHI mode.

Only question: Since I have never updated the firmware (never had a reason to before now), can I use the Toolbox?

Followed the direction in the .pdf on this site to check my Firmware version, and I did not see the Revision number displayed where the .pdf said it should be.

Thanks much in advance, and if there is a thread I missed that will help me, pls post a link.

can you try a different port/cable? also do you have any other USB or other storage devices that may be hogging the drive letter? i have seen that before but usually with flash drives.

I have swapped around the cables, tried various ports but I will try that again.

As for the USB suggestion, then only thing that I have consistently hooked up is my HP printer, and right now with a clean reinstall, I haven't even gotten around to loading the drivers yet.

Does the Intel Rapid Storage Tech play havoc with these things? Or is that fairly benign?

Also, before to my last OS reinstall prior to this one, approx 5 months ago, I didn't have any problems whatsoever. I recall trying to get two striped arrays up and running (2x Corsairs, 2x Intels), but at the time, Intel had a serious issue with the X79 chipset working with RAID 0, at least from what I could tell on various forums. Never got them working.

I am starting to suspect the latest Intel chipset drivers or the Intel rapid storage tech.

Archived