Corsair Community

CM3X2G1333C9DHX - Incorrect timings?

Syntic

Hi,

I recently upgraded to an i5 2500k w/ GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard.

As part of the upgrade I replaced CPU and motherboard (and added an SSD), but retained my existing memory.

A bit of history... For years I have had nothing but stability issues with my old system. I noticed that my memory would always run at 7 7 7 20 timings by default even though it should be 9 9 9 24 timings (is that right??). This caused me a heap of issues and I spent hours and hours tweaking memory and voltages manually to get my system stable. Existing system was a P5E3 motherboard & intel Q9450, and I blamed the M/B for my issues....

Anyways I'd decided I'd had enough so I just purchased some new gear, but retained my memory.

Box is running pretty nicely now, except its been crashing in Win7! I had a quick look at the BIOS and I noticed the timings were 7 7 7 20 @ 1066Mhz.

I've ran a few passes of memtest86+ and there were no errors.

System is running cool.

Power supply is sufficient.

Firmwares are up-to-date.

Would my memory running at these timings be enough to cause instability?

I'm so close to just giving up and buying some new memory... but I hoped someone might be able to help first.

Links to screenshots of timings:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2h323hw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2emfui9.jpg

Cheers,

Syntic

Hi RAM GUY

I ended kicking off an RMA a week ago and my memory is on the way to Taiwan.

Not sure if its of any use now, but when I ran memtest86+ I had defaults loaded but I'm not sure if XMP was enabled by default.

If i left everything at defaults and set memory timings to 9 9 9 24 @ 1333 manually, it wouldn't even boot into Win7.

This was the same with my old P5E3. The only way I ever got it almost stable was by using your recommended configs in the forums (and even then I had to bump the mem voltage up a heap to keep it running).

Archived