Corsair Community

1000 HX screams at shut down

bntj99

Why does my power supply whistle when I shut down my computer? ALL of my drivers and my bios are up to date. This did not happen with my old power supply. The only thing I changed out is the power supply every thing else stayed the same. I only up grade the power supply so I could up grade my video card in the near future.:confused:

• Corsair Employee

I would test your video cards one at a time just to rule them out as having something to do with it. Also, you may want to test the PSU in a different system if possible, just to make sure you can duplicate the same problems. Make sure that any time you change the hardware configuration, even the PSU, that you load setup defaults, and in this case you may want to make sure you have the latest BIOS for the board. If all else fails and it looks like the PSU is the problem, then lets get it replaced!

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I did as you stated in your e-mail. I reset the bios (yes it is up to date). Still whistled. Removed one of my video cards reboot same thing. Remove and replaced with the first card that was removed prier. The whistle is gone :D: So now what is this telling me bad video card?

• Corsair Employee
It may not be a faulty card per se. In many cases, this squealing is an electrically noisy inductor coil on the power input section of the card. However, if the noise is a concern, I'd suggest an RMA of the video card.

Are you sure its the PSU and not the video card itself ?

If you use the modular PCIe cables instead of the fixed ones, the screech sound will probably go away as it did mine.

I had the 8800 GTX card that did this, but now I have the 285 GTX SC and no screeching sound using the fixed PCIe cables.

• Corsair Employee
The loud beep heard during shut down is a warning from the video card that it is unpowered. Typically on shut down, the video card will have a small delay to account for the loss of power from multiple sources, such as the power it gets through the PCI-Express slot and the power it gets through the power supply connector(s). It is not uncommon for one source to shut down a fraction of a second before the other due to hardware variance, and it will not harm your video card, power supply, or motherboard. In this case, that delay is insufficient to accommodate the gap between the loss of power from those two separate sources. Should the motherboard stay powered a fraction of a second longer than the cable(s) to the PSU, the video card alarm delay is triggered and there will be a short squawk from the video card’s onboard alarm speaker. This can happen with any power supply and any video card, and replacing the power supply may not fix the issue due to fact that power off timing changes slightly (even between seemingly identical units) due to that hardware variation. In some cases, it may be possible to fix this issue with a new BIOS for your video card that increases the delay slightly. For more information on obtaining a newer BIOS, contact your video card’s manufacturer

When i had my 8800gtx paired up with the hx1000, it made that whiny noise for a split second at shutdown. Its been talked about in different forums that corsair psu's and the 88XX series dont get along all the time. I upgraded to the ATI 4850x2 and zero problems.

The 8800gtx did not make any noise with my old enermax liberty 620w.

Archived