Corsair Community

K70 RGB Lights Freeze If I Hold "lock" keys

SBStratus

So I recently bought a K70 RGB a few days ago and I couldn't be happier, however there is a small problem that seems to be occurring. Whenever I hold down "Caps Lock", "Num Lock" or "Scroll Lock", my lighting effects freeze completely. For example, take a scrolling rainbow lighting effect , if I hold down any of the keys stated before, the lights freeze completely and the indicator for the appropriate key on the keyboard stays illuminated regardless of how many times I try to "un caps lock" so to speak. I should add that the keyboard itself still functions properly, but any lighting on the keyboard freezes. The only "solution" is to unplug the keyboard, shut down, plug it back in, the power up again. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, but it seems like a firmware issue to me. Anyone want to shine some light on this?

Why would anyone want, or need, to hold down a toggle? Those three buttons are not handled the same way as other keys, on any keyboard. For instance, CAPS LOCK was created to save the user the need to hold down SHIFT. It was never intended to be held down itself, since it would be constantly shifting keyboard modes back and forth pointlessly.

Why would anyone want, or need, to hold down a toggle? Those three buttons are not handled the same way as other keys, on any keyboard. For instance, CAPS LOCK was created to save the user the need to hold down SHIFT. It was never intended to be held down itself, since it would be constantly shifting keyboard modes back and forth pointlessly.

You're missing the point so much...

The point is that the software is broken and the keyboard premiere should have been postponed. Such things as locking keyboard this way should not happen, yet they happen.

Also, sometimes you press buttons and unintentionally hold it a wee bit longer. Even toggle keys. And yes, you can assign actions to toggle keys in gaming. And no - using CUE software to do that is not viable. It should just work.

Just to humor you, I thought I would try to see if I could freeze my lighting effects while holding down these toggles .... and the answer is NO. The lock light works as it should, and the function it is supposed to lock works flawlessly.

I think the problem people are having with this is not related to their keyboards or their software/firmware.

Just to humor you, I thought I would try to see if I could freeze my lighting effects while holding down these toggles .... and the answer is NO. The lock light works as it should, and the function it is supposed to lock works flawlessly.

I think the problem people are having with this is not related to their keyboards or their software/firmware.

I don't think you get the point whatsoever. I have the same issue as the OP, and the problem doesn't only occur if I force it to happen. Sometimes, especially playing games, where you might use binds like Capslock for certain actions in the game, my keyboard will lock up within the first ~20 mins of playing the game due to this issue.

Just because you do not have the issue, doesn't mean that it is not an issue or the users fault. What does your post contribute anyway? You are not providing a solution or even a reasonable speculation on the issue, you are just belittling the OP for little to no reason.

Not to mention that this is an issue that WAS prevalent in previous firmware versions, and was fixed in the latest version, but apparently not for some people.

If my post sounded belittling that was not my intention. It was meant to highlight one thing though, that the problem you are having is not prevalent in other people's keyboards that use the same firmware and software. Windows is a complex system where many things interact with each other in sometimes strange ways. The only reasonable solution is one that would be obvious to most, and that would sound condescending coming from me.

Short of going back to square one (removing/reinstalling software .. rolling back firmware and reloading the latest) what can one do? Many people monitor this forum and it doesn't appear that there are many with this issue, and even less with a possible solution.

At first I merely asked the point of spamming a toggle key, to which I was told I wasn't "getting it". So I decided to spend yet more of my time (I'm not paid by Corsair, I am a customer, like you) trying to replicate the problem with my keyboard, which I could not. So I thought I'd come back in here and report my findings, which was met with an even harsher "you don't get it, at all" ... to the point of inferring a lack of intelligence.

So I tell you what. You can wait for help from someone who is paid to help you. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Is the keyboard firmware and software up to date? (SW 1.3.70)

How is it connected? E.g. The keyboard and the "arrows" are both connected to USB 2.0 ports or just one connected to a USB 3.0 port.

Latest BIOS and chipset drivers?

Does the freezing occur with other profiles or profiles you have created?

Unfortunately, with a K95 RGB connected via USB 2.0, i cannot reproduce the freezing problem.

• 1 month later...
I have had the same problem but found that it doesn't happen if you plug only the one USB with the keyboard icon into USB3.

I'm experiencing this problem aswell are corsair software all bug first corsair link now this a slightly bit problem as I have to unplug it to get it functional again. They need to iron out USB 3.0 bugs

Actually, if you hold the num-lock for 5 seconds, the keyboard will make a beep whenever you press one of the lock keys.

Actually, if you hold the num-lock for 5 seconds, the keyboard will make a beep whenever you press one of the lock keys.

Actually - it's not a keyboard problem, it's just a windows function in Ease of Access Center (if that's how it's called in english).

It's just as you wrote, when you hold num-lock key for 5 seconds you turn on "toggle keys" accessibility option in windows. You can read more about it here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-keyboard-easier-to-use#1TC=windows-7

It has nothing to do with corsair's keyboard, it works the same with any keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

A temp fix is to go to Profiles -> Assignments and clear the key thats having issues. IF you clear the key then then its just blank it will do nothing.

Once this is a temp fix for those who are having this issue esp for the cap lock key since its easy to bump.

A temp fix is to go to Profiles -> Assignments and clear the key thats having issues. IF you clear the key then then its just blank it will do nothing.

Once this is a temp fix for those who are having this issue esp for the cap lock key since its easy to bump.

Apologies, I should have mentioned this earlier: this generally happens when I haven't even touched the keyboard, used a mouse button bound to a key or anything like that.

I go to my start screen and launch a program using only my mouse, and then the keyboard lights freeze as that program starts. Or I'm just navigating my way around without reference to the keyboard, and then I notice the keyboard frozen. There have been other times this has occurred, but it has rarely, if ever, involved my pressing a key.

I hope I haven't made your jobs more difficult by not being clear on the nature of my issue earlier.

Apologies, I should have mentioned this earlier: this generally happens when I haven't even touched the keyboard, used a mouse button bound to a key or anything like that.

I go to my start screen and launch a program using only my mouse, and then the keyboard lights freeze as that program starts. Or I'm just navigating my way around without reference to the keyboard, and then I notice the keyboard frozen. There have been other times this has occurred, but it has rarely, if ever, involved my pressing a key.

I hope I haven't made your jobs more difficult by not being clear on the nature of my issue earlier.

Oh no worries i dont work for Corsair so you can tell me anything ya like lol.

So do you know which programs will cause it to freeze and if it occures all the time or just sometimes?

Archived