Corsair Community

CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 questions

Gun5linger

Got a couple of questions on this memory....

1. what's the correct part number ?

uk sites seem to show CMXS16GX3M2A1600C10 whilst some us and european sites list CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10

2. will this run ok in a Dell XPS 17 (L702x) with the following spec, and would i be able to ramp it up to 32GB using 2 kits ??

Dell XPS 17 – L702x

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM processor

3D 1080P 120Ghz 17.3" (44 cm) Screen WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M Graphics Card

the motherboard does have 4 usable Dimm slots (unlike some of the non-3D spec'd machines) and the 2860QM cpu based memory controller should run 1600mhz ok and a max of 32gb.

can anyone add any extra info ?

thanks in advance

edit:

3. How come i can't find it on your site ? :laughing:

• Corsair Employee
These modules are just new and have not been added to the web site yet, but with your system as with most OEM systems they will likely not give you the option to over clock and the default of that CPU will be DDR1333. And the part number will be CMSX.

hiya,

yeah i figured as much with the website, a little odd but understandable.

overclocking may, as u say not be an option, wont really know until i try it - laptop arrives tomorrow/wednesday, memory wednesday.... default on the cpu is 1066/1333/1600 and 32gb capabilities

http://ark.intel.com/products/53476/Intel-Core-i7-2860QM-Processor-(8M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz)

but as u say, no guarantee dell havent crippled that in the bios !

thanks for the part number confirmation, thats the one i've ordered :)

(btw- the vengeance specs says no need for bios changes anyway - auto configure, is that like xmp the stuff, where the best timings are programmed into the modules?)

what about 32gb - suck it and see with 2 kits, or will u be doing a matched set ?

• Corsair Employee

Yes with most NB's just go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and in some cases just enable XMP. But most of the channel NB's like ASUS MSI and Gigabyte just install the modules and load setup defaults is all you need to do.

Cannot confirm if Dell or HP or any other OEMs have enabled that however one of my friends just got a Toshiba NB and it ran at 1600 NP.

ok, a little feedback ...... havent been brave enough to try much right now, long day at work and i'm too tired to risk screwing this up, already dropped a ridiculously small HDD mounting screw whilst fitting the second drive, to spend the next hour tring to remove it from the even more ridiculous place it fell into !!

so, here's what i know so far, based on booting into bios and into windows 7 home premium (as far as the "setting up your windows on first run")

16GB (2x8) - recognised in bios, boots fine to the windows configuring page

32GB (4x8) - also recognised in bios fine, and boots through to the setup page ... oh yeah RESULT!

one oddity - bios reports as 1333mhz speed,

The laptop was supplied with 4GB (2x2) of hynix ram to ensure it booted and ran for me to test, because the supplier discounted the price and removed the stock dell ram at my request, knowing i was going to be installing the vengeance, he did fit one stick of 1333 and one of 1600 !!!! but i forgot to make a note of the speed when i looked in there initially. Original spec was 1333mhz ram.

The Laptop is as above an XPS 17 L702x

BIOS Revision as supplied A14 (unsure if latest) I have no option i can see to adjust the ram speeds or timings, and no other advanced settings ur used to seeing in bios, there is the option to restore or reset defaults,

do you think i need to restore/reset defaults to get it to re-read the memory in regards to speed ?

The CPU's memory controller should do 1600 .... also, is it worth me running memtest from your BOOTABLE USB FLASH DRIVE TOOL to check for stability ?

I don't mind it running in 1333, would prefer 1600, so long as it's stable, I also assume that seeing as how it's recognised in BIOS and windows seems to boot fine, then there is no reason to believe that it will not see all the RAM when setup.

I have not run through the setup/config yet and into windows fully, because i have added a 750GB MomentusXT as the secondary drive, and will add an SSD at the weekend in place of the original 500GB drive, and then fresh install windows 7 ultimate.... thus leaving the original 500GB drive to use in an external caddy or store for if i sell the machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Win7 Ultimate 64bit installed, all 32GB visible in windows and running ok so far, only issue is speed, BIOS is reporting 1333mhz only, not finished the full setup yet, so have not installed CPUz, but i suspect this is because in JEDEC1 you have 1333mhz timings specified, and this is what the BIOS is reading and adjusting to as fail safe/basic/default, and there is no way i can see to force it to 1600 via BIOS related options, maybe a software way, but i'm not sure, nor sure if i'm too worried, it would be nice to have it running at 1600mhz, but sometimes with memory simple things are not always possible !

i'll install CPUz after i've finished setting stuff up and we'll see what it reports for timings etc.

• 6 years later...

Raising this post from the depths...... :-)

The CORSAIR site will not let me raise a support ticket so let me try here.

I own 2 of these modules from my now EOL HP Envy laptop (on/off swithch broken). Bougth a LENOVO Ideapad 320-151KB which has a 4db module soldered on the MB and a spare memory slot.

Can I put in one CORSAIR and try with any risk of damaging the new laptop?

cheers!

Archived