Psu issue?

DJ-1

Hi, just upgraded an old motherboard...

Asrock z77e-itx

Msi gtx 1050ti

16GB corsair lpx ram

Corsair rm550x Psu

Case = Silverstone sg10

I was skeptical as to psu dead or not, did a paperclip test, fan not spinning..

Returned psu to Amazon, sent a free replacement...

Did a paperclip test on the new psu, works fine,

Put it inside case, fitted to motherboard,

Gfx powered up..

8pin cpu power Connected

24pin atx

Everything all connected fine, jumpers all fine etc, correct screws fixing motherboard to the posts(standoffs)

No visible short anywhere..

As soon as I press the power button the electric rcd trips, the nothing from psu at all.

Is there an internal psu fuse?

Thanks.

... Swapped out the original 300w cheapo psu fro old silverstone sg06

Non-modular psu..

Powers on fine.

I am using the short cable kit for the sg10

SilverStone SST-PP05-E - Short cable... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HVKMMPS?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

There's no possible way to mix up the cables?

There's no incompatibility between the cosair modular cables & ones on the short cable kit?

The only real difference is with this corsair psu that don't work there's a 8pin cpu plug & the cheapo psu that does work fine has only a 4pin cpu plug

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you are asking for here.

Are you using those cables with a Corsair PSU? If so, don't do that. The cables that you specified are for a Silverstone Strider series PSU. You'll be lucky if you don't blow something out or melt a cable. Cables are not interchangeable between different PSUs, even from the same vendor.

Errr oops, can't believe I even missed that...

I can't try anything until I get a new psu as the corsair 1 seems dead now.

Maybe I shouldn't have assumed the specific molex connections were completely universal, I though it was a standard for all power supply's that makes wrong connections impossible..

How embarrassing..

Do you know if there are compatible short cable kit?

Thanks.

Errr oops, can't believe I even missed that...

I can't try anything until I get a new psu as the corsair 1 seems dead now.

Maybe I shouldn't have assumed the specific molex connections were completely universal, I though it was a standard for all power supply's that makes wrong connections impossible..

How embarrassing..

Do you know if there are compatible short cable kit?

Thanks.

If the Corsair PSU works with the Corsair cables, it's still good. They do have short circuit protection to prevent you from mucking things up too badly. Which could be why it wouldn't turn on with the incorrect cables.

If the Corsair PSU works with the Corsair cables, it's still good. They do have short circuit protection to prevent you from mucking things up too badly. Which could be why it wouldn't turn on with the incorrect cables.

Cheers. Yeah I tried with only the psu plugged into a couple of case fans & nothing else using the paperclip test, also replacing the 13amp plug fuse that comes in the lead for it..

It's dead..

Thanks.

Archived