Corsair Community

Force 3 Sata II problem Macbook Pro

feddie207

Hi

Just bought and installed a Force 3 120gb in my late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro. I have the latest firmware (1.3) and am running Lion 10.7.1. The problem is that the drive is runnning at Sata I speed when the system is capable of Sata II.

System profiler states:

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia

Product: MCP79 AHCI

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

This limits performance to 130mb read/100mb write.

Is there any way to get it working at 3gb/s?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Update: After a whole night without power i have cold started my macbook an now it shows me 3gbit... but how long? ....

Wow - I didn't even get that far. My Macbook (Late 2008) always communicates with the Force 3 F240GB3 at SATA I speed. Time for Corsair to adapt the fix provided by the "other manufacturers" firmware!? ;):

There are a significant amount of macbook pro 5,1 EFI issues with SATA2 devices. 1.7/1.8 EFI corrected the negotiation, but freezes occur. 1.6 set the speed for devices to 1.5Gb/s but created other issues. It's kind of a mess. I have my momentus XT jumpered to 1.5Gb/s to get it to work consistently (no freezes, no boot issues, etc), and would like to get my Force3 to work consistently as well. The issue is that although running the 1.8 EFI I can get it to boot and install OSX correctly, but there are freezes (pauses of about 10-20 seconds) that occur from time to time. Those seem to be across the board with many SSD vendors. I have no issue with it negotiating 3Gb/s, but it's not stable enough for me. Would be nice if there was a software tool to force the drive to a specific sata mode...

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with 2009 mbp, cant get it to work on sata II :( i just bought the Force 3 120 Gb ssd... and i have the latest updates on osx lion (efi is 1.7). i tried formating and installing snow leopard and still no luck (snow leopard comes with efi 1.7 pre installed also)... My force 3 drive has the lates 1.3.3 firmware. "Link Speed: 3Gigabit" so it should run on sata II but "Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit" only.

Bootcamp is running win xp and also only sata I speeds (around 100mbs).

I would like to hear something from admins (developers) if there is a possibility to get the ssd to run on sata II speeds what is supported by my macbook.

Sorry for my bad english its not my first language

I just bought a Corsair SSD Force 3, 120 GB on 9-dec-2011.

Firmware is 1.3.2

I replaced my internal HDD with the Corsair SSD in my MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2009) running on OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) latest firmware release (1.7) capable handling SATA II

I'am experiencing the same problems as lot of other Mac Users are reporting all around the Internet who are using Corsair SSDs:

1) Slow performance (101 MB/s write and 127 MB/s read using AJA Testing Tool)

2) Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 GB

I still was not able to find a solution how to fix the existing issues.

Should I return the SSD? Is firmware 1.3.3 a solution for these issues (using Lion not Snow Leopard)?

I just bought a Corsair SSD Force 3, 120 GB on 9-dec-2011.

Firmware is 1.3.2

I replaced my internal HDD with the Corsair SSD in my MacBook Pro 13" (mid 2009) running on OS X 10.7.2 (Lion) latest firmware release (1.7) capable handling SATA II

I'am experiencing the same problems as lot of other Mac Users are reporting all around the Internet who are using Corsair SSDs:

1) Slow performance (101 MB/s write and 127 MB/s read using AJA Testing Tool)

2) Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 GB

I still was not able to find a solution how to fix the existing issues.

Should I return the SSD? Is firmware 1.3.3 a solution for these issues (using Lion not Snow Leopard)?

1.3.3 did not fix it and i tried lion, snow leopard and bootcamp- no luck :(

Edit:

i found a thread :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8414998&posted=1#post8414998

i will try to downgrade from 1.7 to 1.6. some say it fixes the speed and stability problems.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same thing!! Hangs are killing me! Sometimes the sound keeps playing (from iTunes or internet) and the screen freezes other times everything locks up and the rainbow spinner just keeps on spinnin. Pretty annoying.

I have a Macbook Pro 5,1 and updated firmware on everything (ForceGT 1.3.3, AHCI 1.20 <Product: MCP79>, EFI 1.8, TRIM enabled, Systems Prefs set NOT to go to sleep ever and I get freezes/hangs every once (about 4-5 per hour and sometimes more which mean I shut down and then start back up) as well as only SATA1 1.5 Link Speed. The old Segate HD drive I replaced ran at SATA2 3.0...

Zapped PRAM, took battery out of laptop and held down the power key to drain all electricity, used Bootcamp (which resulted in a lot of freezes and a subsequent clean install) and now just using Lion 10.7.3.

When it does work, the Force GT is faster at SATA1 than my old Seagate HD connecting at SATA2... but the hangs and freezes are debilitating during everyday use, especially anything at work and my computer suddenly freezes and hangs for 30 seconds at what appears to be random intervals.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Product: MCP79 AHCI

Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

Corsair Force GT:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)

Model: Corsair Force GT

Revision: 1.3.3

Serial Number: 1144820800000702032C

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here:

NVidia MCP89 AHCI:

Product: MCP89 AHCI

Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Corsair Force GT:

Capacity: 90.03 GB (90,028,302,336 bytes)

Model: Corsair Force GT

Revision: 1.3.3

Serial Number: 114882010000070101B8

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Medium Type: Solid State

TRIM Support: No

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Running on 13-inch, Mid 2010 MBP 10.7.3 OSX

CORSAIR, WHEN WILL YOU TAKE ACTION IN THIS RESPECT???

There is an infinite list of frustrated customers asking for it here, it is just ridiculous that no position is taken from your side.

Still waiting for a decent firmware update.....

Seems to me you guys also have a nForce chipset in the Macbook Pro or at least a Nvidia sata controller. In that case what you can try is to install the newest nForce drivers on:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html

On this website you should be looking for the following:

"Actual nForce Driverpacks for Win7/Vista"

designed for the nForce chipsets MCP72/73/77/79/7A/89

(newest Win7/Vista nForce driver combination with full AHCI support)

I had the exact same problem getting Sata I speed instead of Sata II. The difference though is I've a nForce 780i SLI based motherboard and after installing newer nForce chipset drivers I got Sata II speeds instead of Sata I speed.

You are correct that it is an Nvidia MCP79 controller, unfortunately those are Windows drivers which you linked to.

We are looking for a solution for OSX which is what we generally run on Macbook Pro's.

Other SSD manufacturers have apparently released firmware which allows the drive to operate at full SATA II speeds.

• 2 months later...

Archived