Corsair Community

H80i without using USB cable

NimRock

Hi guys,

I just wanted to clarify something. I have just finished up my new rig complete with an H80i to keep it cool and quiet. My fans are all being controlled with Mobo headers, and hooked directly to my PSU so I wanted to avoid the extra cable and not plug in the H80i usb cable.

What I want to know is how does the pump function if I don't connect the usb cable. I assume it goes a max speed, but is that correct? Does it instead default to a medium or quiet speed?

In the same vain, if I connect fans to the CPU block but don't connect the usb cable are the fans run at max speed?

Cheers

Nim

What I want to know is how does the pump function if I don't connect the usb cable. I assume it goes a max speed, but is that correct? Does it instead default to a medium or quiet speed?

The pump speed never changes. It remains constant no matter the temp. Only the fans change speed to meet the cooling demand. It doesn't matter if the USB is connected or not.

In the same vain, if I connect fans to the CPU block but don't connect the usb cable are the fans run at max speed?

Correct, they will only run at full speed when connected this way without the CL software and the USB cable

I have never ever connected the USB cable on my H100i nor used the Corsair Link software. However the 2 fans are connected to the H100i pump rather than to a motherboard fan header. The result is complete silence. There appears to be no obvious need for me to connect the USB cable.

So let me make sure I've got this right, you can never change the pump speed on the H80i, no matter what?

That is the way it is intended , Yes. Pump speed remains constant and only the fan speed changes.

Some have connected it to a fan controller to control the pump speed, but thats not a smart move. These pumps are so small and move such a small amount of water, any throttling of the pump will most certainly cut down it's ability to cool.

Some have connected it to a fan controller to control the pump speed, but thats not a smart move. These pumps are so small and move such a small amount of water, any throttling of the pump will most certainly cut down it's ability to cool.

Right, so does the "fan speed" setting of the fan header you plug the pump into on the mobo effect the pump speed?

Right, so does the "fan speed" setting of the fan header you plug the pump into on the mobo effect the pump speed?

No, that is just a tach lead that reads the RPM's of the pump itself. There is no power at all through that wire.There fore it can't be regulated or changed.

Your Power is coming from a SATA connector and there is no way to throttle or change that with out a third party controller.

• 2 years later...
can someone give me suggestion of how to deal with the USB cable connection since I will not have any available onboard USB connector on the new mobo. One is occupied with the Supreme fx HiFi. and the other the Chassis USB 2.0 connection on the front of the box. is there a workaround for fan speed load demands?

• 6 months later...

I run the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Impact in my SFF PC build. Unfortunately, as amazing as the board is (it is amazing!) It has ZERO USB 2 headers on it.

What's the best way to run my H80i V2? I have CPU_FAN header available for it, but unless I lock it to 100% in the bios, I notice the LED showing the corsair logo goes very dim and it concerns me that it's not getting enough power. Similarly, if I don't have to run it 100% all the time, I would love to prolong the life of the pump.

Archived