Corsair Community

Cooling options for new system

AndrewMcDonald

Hi! I'm looking to build my first system in about 10 years after using some Shuttle Barebones systems.

The setup I'm looking at would be the Obsidian 350D and RMx 550w power supply powering:

Asus STRIX Z370 Mobo

Intel 8700K CPU

32GB Corsair LPX DDR 4 3200 RAM (Possible 64GB in the future)

Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512GB

2 1TB Samsung 950 Evo Drives in Raid0

2TB WD Hard Drive

I won't be overclocking the system so my question is how much cooling do I really need? I was looking at the H100i liquid cooler but I really want this system to be quiet. Can I get by with single fan cooling (H70 or H80i?) or will I be better off with something like the H100i which is overkill but hopefully be very quiet?

You could get by with a single fan cooler but I would look at the larger radiator ... yes, it'll be overkill but that's what will keep your fans speeds low and, therefore, your system quiet.

Swapping out the stock fans for a couple of ML-series fans will keep it even quieter. Not sure what your budget is so that might be something for a future upgrade.

I would definitely look at the double panel radiators (240 & 280mm). The cost difference is fairly small compared to the better single frame units and you can get better cooling with less noise. The Coffee Lake series seem ready to be turned up, so I would get the bigger cooler now and not feel hamstrung latter. It also is a natural fit for the top, letting the rear 120mm work on the GPU waste heat without restriction.

Hi! I'm looking to build my first system in about 10 years after using some Shuttle Barebones systems.

The setup I'm looking at would be the Obsidian 350D and RMx 550w power supply powering:

Asus STRIX Z370 Mobo

Intel 8700K CPU

32GB Corsair LPX DDR 4 3200 RAM (Possible 64GB in the future)

Samsung 960 Pro m.2 512GB

2 1TB Samsung 950 Evo Drives in Raid0

2TB WD Hard Drive

I'm curious what kind of case you are building in? I've been doing some thinking and I might upgrade to a 8700K as well if I can find a Maximus X Code.

To DevBiker and others, I've always shied away from water coolers because I'm afraid of ruptures and then the ($$$) aftermath. Lots of stories out there on the + and - of water cooling. Your experience(s)?

I'm curious what kind of case you are building in?

The setup I'm looking at would be the Obsidian 350D

Corsair Obsidion 350d duder

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/product%20photos/cases/obsidian-series/350d/large/350d_hero_down_built_open.png

I'm curious what kind of case you are building in? I've been doing some thinking and I might upgrade to a 8700K as well if I can find a Maximus X Code.

To DevBiker and others, I've always shied away from water coolers because I'm afraid of ruptures and then the ($$$) aftermath. Lots of stories out there on the + and - of water cooling. Your experience(s)?

I, personally, haven't had a rupture but sure, they happen. Leaks are more likely with a custom loop (due to user error) than an AIO. It's a question of risk/reward ... and the upside (with better temps, quieter system) is certainly worth the risk. A part of mitigating that risk is using coolers from established and reputable vendors.

I have had a pump fail on me though ... so I keep an air cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) as a backup for use during the RMA process. I have 4 systems in the house running water cooling and 3 of 'em need to be available all the time.

To refresh, Got a 350D Windowed case and the H100i v2 cooler. I'm encountering some issues getting it in.

First, the cooler pretty much makes the top 5.25" bay unusable, at least for an optical drive. I can live with that by putting the drive in the bottom bay.

Second, I'm having trouble squeezing the cooler in. It's bumping into the 8 pin power cable on the Asus Strix Z370-G Motherboard. I think I can get around that by removing one of the screws from that corner of the fan.

Third, and this is a biggie: If I get the thing mounted with the hoses at the back of the case (can't go in the front because then I can't use any of the drive bays) then then I can't find a position where the hoses don't rub against the rear 120mm fan.

Any suggestions?

are you sure you need an optical drive dude?.. i kept one in for years but when i went up to the 570x case i had no choice and had to go no drive,,, 12 months in and i havnt needed it once lol... although.. i do have an Xbox 360 HD DVD stand alone unit i can usb in with should the unlikely need arise lol

are you sure you need an optical drive dude?.. i kept one in for years but when i went up to the 570x case i had no choice and had to go no drive,,, 12 months in and i havnt needed it once lol... although.. i do have an Xbox 360 HD DVD stand alone unti i can usb in with should the unlikely need arise lol

Some of us still need optical drives. ;-)

I have 3 Internal BDRs, 1 external BDR ... and that same lame XBox 360 HD DVD player.

are you sure you need an optical drive dude?

Yes, I'm sure. I still rip music from CD and movies from BluRay/DVD for my media center.

Besides, that was the least of my worries. My biggest is that the hoses aren't flexible and I can't install the cooler without it interfering with one of my case fans.

I've even tried front mounting it which the web site says is possible. Even after moving the 2.5" drive cage the cooler won't work because I can't align the screw holes due to the hoses.

The only thing I can think of is that the H100i is smaller than the H100i v2? maybe the hoses are placed differently?

At this point I'm ready to chuck it in and replace the rear 120mm fan with a single fan radiator unit or just get the Hyper 212 Evo.

Archived