Corsair Community

H105 High Temps

KrAzE1626865582

Hi guys,

Just bought a new case and cooler, temps are not looking right.

I am typing this message and corsair links hows the following temps:

35, 38, 38, 43, 40. 2% load.

I just bought a Corsair Crystal 570X case, put exhaust fan on back (same as front fans).

Bought a Corsair h105, put 2 custom fans on it(same as front fans).

Why are my temps like this? I think I had the same or better temps with an after market air cooler.

The corsair link app does not let me do anything, literally, cannot customize anything.

Should I return this or am I not set up properly?

I will say tho. On the air cooler when I'd run Prime95 max heat. I would hit 100 instant. On this cooler I had it run max heat for about 30 seconds it only hit 85.

THis is my first time using a water cooler. I admit I am a noob at this and would love to hear from somebody with experience!

Well, we don't have enough information to answer your question.

Which temps are showing 35, 38, etc ... ?

What is your ambient (room) temperature?

What CPU do you have? It it overclocked? The temps that you listed would strike me as somewhat normal for a Skylake/Kaby Lake CPU, especially the "CPU Package" temp, which is the (typically) the highest core reading. What's more telling is the average temperature over a time period. While I'd love for Link to show this, it doesn't ... you'd need HWInfo to get a feel for that. Make sure to disable monitoring of Link devices in HWInfo -or- shut down Link before running it.

Is the fan header that the pump is plugged in to running at full power/100%?

When you say that you cannot customize anything ... do you see the cooler in Link? What does it report as the fan speed and the pump speed? Did you click on the fan to set your fan speed settings?

You said that you replaced the stock fans with SP120 fans, correct? IIRC, those are 3-pin fans (DC-controlled); you won't be able to control the speed if they are connected to the pump fan header. The pump will only control PWM (4-pin) fans.

CPU: i7-7700K; no overclock

Room Temp: Not sure; I live in Cleveland it's almost winter lol

I bought all SP120 fans, they are connected to a fan hub.

The temps I listed are the "core temps" and the 'package'

The cooler is connected the CPU fan slot, the Y connector is connected the cpu pump above that slot for the radiator fans.

I will say tho. On the air cooler when I'd run Prime95 max heat. I would hit 100 instant. On this cooler I had it run max heat for about 30 seconds it only hit 85.

Ah ... you must have a Skylake/Kaby Lake/maybe Coffee Lake?

Prime95, especially the latest version, is absolutely, positively brutal to those CPUs because it stresses AVX extensions. It does things that no other application will do ... and, in general, it's not a good gauge of system stability.

I prefer (personally) to use ROG RealBench Stress Test to test my system's overall thermal performance... it isn't AVX-heavy on the CPU (it does Handbrake encording) and it also stresses the GPU which, in a system with a water-cooled CPU and a discrete graphics card, is the largest producer of heat in the case. This will tell me if I have a good overall design for cooling the entire system at an insane load, not just the CPU.

Oh, and I'll play games to "test" the system too. :biggrin: That's what I tell the wife ... I don't think she buys it tho.

I will have to check that out. I admit, it's quieter. At times I would hear a fan rev up really high. I always thought it was the CPU Heatsink fan but couldn't prove it 100%, but after running prime95, I am sure it was that old air cooler fan.

I guess my only grip is the idle temps. My air cooler had high 30's low 40s for idle temps, this is lower to mid 30s, I guess that's nice, maybe I am being too dramatic.

Again, this is my first water cooled system, so I am in no way an expert on the subject.

Also, this case and cooler make the computer look slick. I can't help but stare at it like, wow.

CPU: i7-7700K; no overclock

Room Temp: Not sure; I live in Cleveland it's almost winter lol

Temps sound "about right" for a Kaby Lake. What is your coolant temperature?

I bought all SP120 fans, they are connected to a fan hub.

Are you referring to the RGB fan hub? They should be. But that doesn't control the fan speed.

The temps I listed are the "core temps" and the 'package'

Sounds about right then. I have a 7700K and mine are a touch higher ... but I'm also running at 5.1 GHz.

The cooler is connected the CPU fan slot, the Y connector is connected the cpu pump above that slot for the radiator fans.

I'm not sure that I'm following this completely ... you lost me at "Y" connector. That should be used for the fans. The SP120's will have two connectors; 1 for fan power/control/tach and one for the RGB LEDs.

Now ... you running SP120's; as I mentioned previously, you won't be able to control their speeds in Link because they aren't PWM. The pump header can only control PWM fans. What motherboard do you have? Knowing that, we can provide you options for controlling the fans. You won't be able to control them in Link or based on the coolant temp (which is ideal) but ...

All 6 of the fans (3 on the front included with case, 2 on radiator, 1 on back) are all SP120s, they all connect to a LED hub. The exhaust fan connects to the motherboard, the three front fans connect to a fan hub which than connects to the motherboard. The two radiator fans connect to a Y Connector cable, which came with the H105, the CPU Block plugs into the normal CPU Fan connector on mobo, the Y connector plugs into the CPU OPT (labeled on MOBO), the Y connector is basically a cable that powers both fans but only uses 1 mobo slot.

Not sure how to check my coolant temps?

All 6 of the fans (3 on the front included with case, 2 on radiator, 1 on back) are all SP120s, they all connect to a LED hub. The exhaust fan connects to the motherboard, the three front fans connect to a fan hub which than connects to the motherboard. The two radiator fans connect to a Y Connector cable, which came with the H105, the CPU Block plugs into the normal CPU Fan connector on mobo, the Y connector plugs into the CPU OPT (labeled on MOBO), the Y connector is basically a cable that powers both fans but only uses 1 mobo slot.

Not sure how to check my coolant temps?

OK ... got my coolers mixed up. With the H105, you can't use Link to check your coolant temps. In fact, I don't think you can use Link at all with that cooler. :[pouts:

So many coolers ... all so different.

Now ... you'll want to make sure to go into your BIOS and set the CPU fan header to full speed/100%/Manual control (terminology varies by motherboard manufacturer ... with Asus, you can Disable Q-Fan control).

The down side is that, with your radiator fans connected to CPU-OPT, they'll also be running at full speed. So you will likely want to connect them to a System Fan header (if you have one to spare) and then set a fan curve. You'll have to base it on CPU temperature and you'll want to set a spin-up and (longer) spin-down time so they aren't "bursty".

You just can't plug in a 7700K and run Prime 95. It will overheat regardless of cooler make and model. The newest lines of Intel CPUs are far too accommodating when facing that kind of load. It will continue to pile on the voltage. You were likely in the 1.35-1.40v Vcore range when at 100C. That is what happens at 1.40v and no cooler can do anything about that. The solution is the set up your BIOS to prevent the voltage piling on and stop using Prime 95. It is a specific tool with limited uses. General system health or cooler performance are not among them.

I don't see your motherboard listed, but you might as well read the Asus Kaby Lake guide to get a better understanding of what's going on. If this is an Asus board, there are a couple of specific tweaks suggested to tame the ranging nature. Those usually apply to other boards as well. 1) Set a specific voltage, regardless if you are going to overclock. The Auto voltage setting is just too gratuitous with its response. 2) Most boards have some sort of Load Line Calibration to alter the voltage swings and/or protocols. It is motherboard specific, so some digging may be required.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

See this thread/sticky: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801

Good luck and let us know if you have questions.

Sorry about the Browns. At least you might get a parade!

Doing whats in that thread made it worse. It idles at 40 now and spikes to 60. Does the thread mean the CPU_OPT because that's what the fans plug into?

Yeah ... the fans are running at 100%; they will be LOUD. Use a different connector for the fans than CPU_OPT and then set a fan curve. That's why I suggested:

So you will likely want to connect them to a System Fan header (if you have one to spare) and then set a fan curve. You'll have to base it on CPU temperature and you'll want to set a spin-up and (longer) spin-down time so they aren't "bursty".

Archived