Corsair Community

3 broken keycaps, need solution

huntn4it

• Corsair Employee
ummm this is not OP's fault, in response to the annoying dude saying it is. I have had the exact same issue and I'm not even a big gamer tbh and I don't push hard on the keys. I had three keys break, got replacements sent, and now another one is broken again, a couple months later. It's getting so frustrating. I don't understand how these break so easily when I have never had this issue before :(. I don't know if I should contact support again or just get a different brand keyboard.

I'd follow suit and put in a support ticket so we can send out replacement keycaps to you.

http://support.corsair.com/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd follow suit and put in a support ticket so we can send out replacement keycaps to you.

http://support.corsair.com/

Hi I have the same problem. Then I had 2 keyboards where the first one broke a keycap and I replaced another, then now with this new I noticed that a lot of keycaps have splits and then sooner or later these will begin to break. How can I do?

Respectfully, I have used keyboards for over 20 years and never broken a key before. This is not my fault.

It keeps happening to me too, first keyboard in my life to ever break keys like this, in the same exact way shown on those pictures.

Corsair please improve the quality of your keycaps, I'm starting to wonder if i can put my Razer blackwidow keycaps on my corsair keyboard because those razer ones never broke in like 5 years of use, i just dislike that keyboard compared to this corsair now.

The keys are really bombing the quality of the corsair keyboards though.

And replacing keycaps won't work because we will consistently need more and more and more replacements you might as well start up wholesaling them so all stores like bestbuy have a section of fresh keycaps for your easily breakable corsair keyboard.

The keyboard models are aging, time for a refresh, and put better keycaps on it.

ummm this is not OP's fault, in response to the annoying dude saying it is. I have had the exact same issue and I'm not even a big gamer tbh and I don't push hard on the keys. I had three keys break, got replacements sent, and now another one is broken again, a couple months later. It's getting so frustrating. I don't understand how these break so easily when I have never had this issue before :(. I don't know if I should contact support again or just get a different brand keyboard.

I have so many broken ones they want to swap the entire keyboard... But first I have to mail it in before they'll ship me a new one. So I am probably going to end up buying a ducky shine for the time being and sell the K70 when its back. Corsair has given me the perfect opportunity to try a competitors keyboard lol

• 3 weeks later...

The same thing happen to me with exact 1 year of use with this model (RGB K70).

I have another K90 Vengance with more than 4 years and 0 issues.

I have sent a ticket asking for the K + Block mayus replacements for my K70 RGB.

I hope they give me a solution because if not I will never buy a Corsair product.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a CH-9101012-UK K70 RGB LUX Cherry MX Brown keyboard last year, and a lot of my keys are starting to get cracks on the + bit. Namely Z, ~, X, C, pretty much any key I use in gaming that I press from an uneven angle (for example I use ~ for push to talk and as such it's pressed at an angle with my pinkie as the rest of my fingers on the left hand handle WASD).

I got Z replaced via customer support, but with so many more others getting cracked I don't know what to do. I've used keyboards for over 2 decades and these cheap plastic keys are the fist to have ever broken on me. I am quite disappointed having paid 200$ on a keyboard just to have it break like this. Staying away from Corsair keyboards in the future, that's for sure

• 3 months later...

This has happened to me with several keys now, I put it down to skimping on manufacturing and shaving a bit of the underside of the keys so the supporting areas are brittle. Looking at this it's quite common, and could be considered a manufacturing defect, or a batch issue during production.

I have come up with a solution to this problem. If you manage to save the bits, a small dab of super glue and some bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on to reinforce the stem. Just make sure you don't get glue inside the +. I do this by resting the broken bits in place then dabbing super glue on the barrel part of the + then sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on it to dry fast and add some reinforcement material.

It's worked for all the caps I have managed to save the bits for.

Also, this has nothing to do with the way a person types as I have has many cherry MX keyboards and this is the only one to break like this.

Mine is a CH-9101010-UK K70 RGB LUX Cherry MX Red.

I previously had a K70 with Cherry Red with single colour LEDs and that was fine with no broken keycaps.

This has happened to me with several keys now, I put it down to skimping on manufacturing and shaving a bit of the underside of the keys so the supporting areas are brittle. Looking at this it's quite common, and could be considered a manufacturing defect, or a batch issue during production.

I have come up with a solution to this problem. If you manage to save the bits, a small dab of super glue and some bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on to reinforce the stem. Just make sure you don't get glue inside the +. I do this by resting the broken bits in place then dabbing super glue on the barrel part of the + then sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on it to dry fast and add some reinforcement material.

It's worked for all the caps I have managed to save the bits for.

Also, this has nothing to do with the way a person types as I have has many cherry MX keyboards and this is the only one to break like this.

Mine is a CH-9101010-UK K70 RGB LUX Cherry MX Red.

I previously had a K70 with Cherry Red with single colour LEDs and that was fine with no broken keycaps.

Yeah, I did the same thing with the keys that had a cracked stem before I bought the PBT set. super glue helped but I dunno how that will help in the long run as it might make the plastic brittle. Regardless, every time someone asks me for advice on what keyboard to get, I just tell them I have had to superglue-fix my old keys if they are considering Corsair

• 2 months later...

I have the K70 LUX with brown switches. From the caps I have checked, I have at least 10 broken around the stem. Bought the keyboard last year in July. My brother has the Strafe and has had for at least 2 years with no broken caps.

Contacted support today. Hoping I won't have to replace my entire keyboard as I really don't a refurb (assuming I would get a refurb).

Did anyone have an option to get a key cap set from Support instead of getting the entire keyboard replaced?

• 1 month later...

I’ve got this board, barely used compared to other ones I still have. I’m super careful with my gear, I’ve got over 70% of my keys with cracks or fractures, several completely broken including replacement 5 keys they sent. I resubmitted my ticket with pics, I’m under 2 yrs with this. Here’s the absolute garbage response I received.

“After reviewing the issue with the keycaps. The amount of broken keycaps is in line with wear and tear usage of the keycaps. Wear and tear is not part of warranty policy. You can review our warranty policy from our website: http://www.corsair.com/support/warranty”

This is NOT normal wear and tear, look at how many other people have the same issue! I’ve had a slew of other boards, never a broken key cap. Decide to pony up to a supposedly nice board from Corsair...thinking my great experience with their other products would fare similar results. TOTALLY Disappointed!

• 3 weeks later...
my k70 rgb arrived 3 days ago since it arrived every day the pageup and end keys keep falling off, today i organised a return to the seller. I thought corsair were producing high end products.....i wont make that mistake again. and they have the audacity to call it standard wear and tear i do not mash the keyboard at all and i am very gentle with my typing. Edited by jaggafeen

• 1 month later...

OP here again with 2 more broken keycaps in a 24 hour period ('R' and numpad '4') after about a 1 year period with no breaks. Guess it's time to find a replacement.

Couldn't be more disappointed with Corsair.

Edited by huntn4it

• 2 months later...
I got the PBT double shot keys set from them after the standard keys started breaking off and crumble, and now, 7 months later, the PBT keys are starting to come loose as well. Biggest waste of money in the entire gaming industry

• 1 month later...
I have a K70 and also with a number of badly manufactured keys which have broken. I opened Ticket # 866372 and exchanged e-mails with Kim E and the trail stopped back in March. So much for customer support. I need my keys replaced ASAP as it is hard to use the keyboard with broken keycaps. Can anuyone at Corsair help. I have sent the receipot, photos etc. What does it take to get help for this product.

Hi, Nick.

That's what I did after seeing one of my K70 RGB keycaps falling to pieces on me.

But that was two months ago, and I haven't got any useful response or replacement keycap from Corsair to this day.

Even tried to post on support forum with no luck: three days have passed and my thread doesn't even show up in the forum.

Does support work for customers outside the US?

If you contact Corsair themselves through live chat they will find you a solution, i did it and had very good custumer support, the only downside is the wait time.

Anyway your problem happens with all of the keyboards, it seems you take of your keycaps off way too often to clean it and that weakens the housing of the keycap itself and will eventually break, there's no solution to that, even if they give you replacement keycaps you will break them in the near future again for sure.

The best solution for you is to buy some after market set of keycaps to replace them all, preferably PBT keycaps which are more durable and built to last.

They sell them on their site https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/pbt-config/p/CH-9000235-WW

The ones you have are ABS and are not very durable.

• Corsair Employee
I have a K70 and also with a number of badly manufactured keys which have broken. I opened Ticket # 866372 and exchanged e-mails with Kim E and the trail stopped back in March. So much for customer support. I need my keys replaced ASAP as it is hard to use the keyboard with broken keycaps. Can anuyone at Corsair help. I have sent the receipot, photos etc. What does it take to get help for this product.

I reached out to our customer service team, and you should receive a response shortly. If you don't hear anything in the next few days, go ahead and PM me and I'll escalate this.

• 3 weeks later...

Month ago, one keycap broke and jumped out of keyboard (K70 RGB LUX EU). That's when I found this forum thread and about the problem with keycaps in general. Checked other keycaps and sure, some more had slight cracks.

Made a complaint with the shop I bought it from (in my country) and today the complaint made it back to me. By sending me new K70 Red LUX US. See me surprised (and angry). Got backlight downgrade from RGB to Red (and lesser value) back. Thought they would replace the broken keycaps or something but they gave new, cheaper keyboard. Warranty 2 years, still a year valid. Now I am not sure if I just should ask for money back or leave it be (though the shop Customer Service will likely say "leave it be, law is on our side").

Came to understand that with new keycaps, you have to buy a WHOLE SET, only for it to break again (buy new again) and again and again. Expensive keyboard, expensive maintenance (after warranty null). The PBT looks like a solution but that store page is down. Probably for the reason they make MK.2 SE with those keycaps now.

PS: Needed to vent somewhere how some shop ran with me. Thanks for understanding.

EDIT: Now they responded. Seems like a mistake from their supplier. I'm getting my money back.

Edited by HawkyCZ

• 1 month later...

I too am having the same broken keycap issues with my K70 keyboard but Corsair customer support said there's nothing that they can do about. I've been using computers for over 30 years and have never had a single broken key on any keyboard until I bought a K70. It's an expensive keyboard, yet, I have 4 broken keycaps at the moment. A lot of people have been reporting the same keycap problems. For me, the breakage began to occur a few months after the first usage.

Some additional broken keys have recently made the keyboard more difficult to use. So, I created a ticket a couple of months ago to ask for a full replacement set of caps. I was just denied any support at all a couple of weeks ago, after a lengthy process of going back and forth with Corsair support. I was asked to provide the same purchase information about the keyboard multiple times to no avail. They said the maintenance had run out on my keyboard back in September 2018. Even so, they know these keycaps are faulty and they really should try to resolve the issue, fairly. They really should do something, anything above nothing, to make sure that these keyboards are able to at least perform their core functions as advertised for a reasonable amount of time. Two years is certainly not a reasonable amount of time for a $200 keyboard. As HawkyCZ said, the keycaps will break again and again and I'm sure Corsair has no long term solution for this issue.

I was not regretful about my K70 purchase until I had dealt with Corsair's customer support. I'm ordering a new keyboard today from another manufacturer. Probably a SteelSeries Apex Pro or a Logitech one. But I will NEVER buy another Corsair made product ever again after this experience. My K70 will be going into the trash where it belongs once I receive my new keyboard. Best of luck to the rest of you guys regarding this issue.

Edited by rarukufan