Corsair Community

SP2500 - is my sub broken?

Origo

Hey,

I recieved my SP2500 just a few days ago, and as soon as I had set them up, I suspected something was wrong with the sub.

Basically, it is very quiet, similar to what the OP describes in this thread.

When the sub volume is set to dark blue, it's as if the sub is not powered at all, except in the higher levels; then I can hear it if I put my head next to it.

When set to light blue, the sub is barely audible amongst the satellites.

When in the reds, it is clearly audible, but this is nowhere near what I expected the bass to be like when set to the very max. The satellites still dominate, but it's close

Is this normal behaviour, or should I look to get the set replaced? I can't tell for sure myself, because technically the sub still works.

I've tried using different sound sources, and also tried two different cables.

So I guess either something is broken, or the relation between sub/satellite volume is severely skewed on my set.

Thanks in advance

Btw, the set otherwise sounds amazing :sunglasse

I have a dedicated sound card, not onboard.

I've seen several cheaper 2.1 sets deliver much more bass than this (with MB audio only). When I read reviews of SP2500, it was praised for its sub. However you have to turn it more than halfway up for it to be (apparently) powered at all?

And what do you mean the Ipod has no amplifier, surely it has an internal one?

I've had the exact same issue with the subwoofer as you have described.

I thought the motherboard sound chip was perhaps too weak to handle it, so I went ahead and bought an Asus Xonar card, which did not help at all. I decided to pack it up and try it on my friends computer, which did not help any. I did an RMA on the unit and received a second one, which also did not work. The store offered me a 3rd replacement unit, but I decided to get my money back after dealing with 2 failed subwoofer units.

• 7 months later...

Ram Guy,

Just opened my brand new Corsair SP2500. The subwoofer is barely audible even when turned up. Based on my review of these forms, this seems to be a recurring problem - has anybody been able to fix this issue?

If not, what is the return process? I am nowhere near satisfied with the quality of the sub performance.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Lucas

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest updating the firmware for your device.

Also it is very common for the pod to be set to night mode, or have the sub setting adjusted to low. Please make sure both are set properly.

I have a dedicated sound card, not onboard.

I've seen several cheaper 2.1 sets deliver much more bass than this (with MB audio only). When I read reviews of SP2500, it was praised for its sub. However you have to turn it more than halfway up for it to be (apparently) powered at all?

And what do you mean the Ipod has no amplifier, surely it has an internal one?

Nope! NOTHING from apple has an internal amplifier. Apple play the dirty trick and send a slightly higer voltage to the headphone jack.. hence why iPhones are known for burning through sets of ear phones.. it Burnt out my £60 Sony ear phones...

just be careful what you plug your iPod into as these ue the same higher voltage = higher volume "theory". if whatever youre plugging it into isnt made to extreme standards.. it'll burn it within weeks!

although im sure your Corsair sound system would laugh at it and not even bat an eyelid! =D

have you set up all your sound control settings up in the playback devices configuration? i.e set it to 2.1? my Logitech Z623's were pretty poor until i figured that one out...

oh, almost forgot... if your PC has a third party audio control panel, check the settings in there... i have the Creative control panel with RoG branding all over it.. and sometimes that likes to reset itself when its on its "time of the month" so my speakers go really quiet...

• 11 months later...

I know this might be abit of a late reply, but I just wanted to update on my previous post #9

I have a friend that purchased the SP2500 recently. We plugged in the system and it worked without any problem. I borrowed the unit to try it on my computer and it worked flawless.

At the time of my purchase and second RMA, the only issue was the subwoofer that was creating very low bass. The speakers themselves worked flawless. I tried onboard and dedicated soundcard, drivers, pod, control panel settings, etc.. I turned to corsairs support and we weren't able to get it working. I was asked to RMA it to corsair, but when I asked if they would cover shipping, I didn't get any follow up.

The only reason I don't have a unit now is that the last 2 RMA's cost me $150 in shipping back to the store I purchased them from and I told them I didn't want to go through a 3rd RMA process. The store does test units when shipped back and if they find no problem with the unit, they don't refund the full amount of your purchase. I was able to get a full refund for the speaker system.

Archived