Corsair Community

F 60 SSD raid 0 unsing acronis true echo server with universal restore (long post)

rikki

Hi Guys I'm looking for some help with my new corsair F60 ssds.

Background

I had my desktop setup running windows 7 x64 on a 1 TB raid 5 array.

This array had 3 volumes setup C:(system) d apps : E: games.

Idea

To improve my system I bought two corsair F60 ssds to run in raid 0 and boot windows 7 from and two samsung f1 in raid 0 for data.

Install

I use acronis at work so I used my acronis true image echo enterprise boot cd to create a backup of my entire raid 5 array on my external drive.

Once this was complete I removed the array from the raid contoller and then removed the disks for my pc and installed my ssds.

I created my new raid 0 array in the raid controller and then used the windows 7 dvd to create a boot disk and then format the disk.

I then booted of the acronis dvd and chose to restore the C: (system disk) and the mbr to the new raid 0 array. This process compeleted and I rebooted the pc to make sure that the restore worked.

Problem

After reboot I got past post and raid manger config showing my new raid 0 array, however when it came to load windows 7 the following came up saying

"error reading from disk"

I checked the bios and it was all set to boot from raid etc.

I remembered that I hadn't used the "universal restore" option during the restore so I used that to load the 64 bit ICH10R driver during the restore I then restored the image again

This time at the end of the restore I was asked by the universal restore for a driver as acronis could not find the correct driver for the un known device.

I tried pointing it at the ICH10R driver again but it kept saying that it couldn't find the correct driver. In the end I had to choose skip driver and I reboot and got the same.

Question

Now the only new hardware installed on my pc is the two SSDs, is there a different driver I should be specifing?

I used the driver linked below

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3061&DwnldID=18861&lang=eng

Has anyone else used acronis universal restore and had a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

Rikki.

I created my new raid 0 array in the raid controller and then used the windows 7 dvd to create a boot disk and then format the disk.
I havent ever formated my SSD's and i dont think in normal w7 installation would eather (it sees it SSD and not HDD), just quick one if anything.

After reboot I got past post and raid manger config showing my new raid 0 array, however when it came to load windows 7 the following came up saying

I havent used any image tool to image my pc, so i ask. Will it make any difference to image that its from RAID 5 and its bean installed to RAID 0 ? (so it only copys data and not where or how, it's placed on disk)

This time at the end of the restore I was asked by the universal restore for a driver as acronis could not find the correct driver for the un known device.

I tried pointing it at the ICH10R driver again but it kept saying that it couldn't find the correct driver.

And you are sure that un known device is sata-controller? ..and not SSD or something else?

Thanks for the reply, last night I managed to find out what the missing driver was.

It was the JB Micron controller for the gigabyte sata ports so I added this driver to the restore and the restore completed without error.

However I still get the "failed to read disk" error, so I'm going to remove the raid array then rebuild it again then use Parted Magic to erase it and see if that does the trick.

R.

However I still get the "failed to read disk" error, so I'm going to remove the raid array then rebuild it again then use Parted Magic to erase it and see if that does the trick.
PMagic, dont find RAID array, u would haveto secure eraser theme one by one and even to that to work you may need to unplug them before power up pc and plug them in "light blue screen" where you choose "default settings". So it would pass mb's self protegting and let you to eraser them.

Edit: Oops. PMagic, wount install RAID driver as it starts, so it will see them as 2 different SSD's, i just tryed it my self. But when you are in RAID they are in AHCI and not IDE mode, dont know will it make any difference, so just a note.

Archived