Corsair Community

HS1A Microphone Problem

mlk1

I got this headset about a week ago. The headphones are fine if a little quiet. The probelm I have is with the microphone. It can barely pick up anything other than static. I've tried the following:

• Use microsoft drivers
  • Use Realtek drivers (tried 2.66, 2.64, 2.61, 2.50) with driver sweeper between uninstalls
  • Ensured microphone volume is set to 100 under CP -> Sound -> Recording -> Properties on mic
  • Changed "Default Format" for mic to various different values
  • Toggled "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
  • Tweaked any relevant mic settings under Realtek panel when Realtek drivers installed
  • Enabled/Disabled all combinations of enhancements (including enhancements being completely off) when using Realtek drivers

I've also tried to switch on the mic boost but that makes things even worse with regards to the static. I've tried various apps for recording including Windows Recorder, Audacity, Mumble and Ventrilo. The best I can hear is my voice being heard very feintly with static being more prominent. The only way I can get the mic to pick anything up is if I take the headset off and hold the mic right up to my mouth at which point it starts to become distorted as I'm too close to the mic. I've tried adjusting the mic at various distances from my mouth and nothing is working,

The next thing I tried was to use the headset on my laptop instead (Dell XPS 15) and it had the exact same problem. It's probably worth mentioning that had Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed.

I've looked through the forums and tried any suggested fixes and none of them seem to work. Can anyone suggest anything else or is it advisable to just return these to the shop I bought them from? Cheers.

First thing that comes to mind is that you seem to have tried everything already. Except one little thing.

Are you aware that this is a Stereo Microphone? It records one line while canceling out everything detected on the other but not on the one facing your mouth.

Check where you are sitting/standing and see if the microphone that is supposed to face your mouth is and the other side that has the noise canceling microphone is pointing distinctly AWAY from your mouth.

Try facing different directions while testing it. If one direction works then you probably have the means to fix this.

I would almost wager that there may be some noise that both microphones pick up and thus it makes it a mess. Things like fans are terrible for this.

Let me know if this helps any, and if not I am sorry for you but I know nothing else that could help.

First thing that comes to mind is that you seem to have tried everything already. Except one little thing.

Are you aware that this is a Stereo Microphone? It records one line while canceling out everything detected on the other but not on the one facing your mouth.

Check where you are sitting/standing and see if the microphone that is supposed to face your mouth is and the other side that has the noise canceling microphone is pointing distinctly AWAY from your mouth.

Try facing different directions while testing it. If one direction works then you probably have the means to fix this.

I would almost wager that there may be some noise that both microphones pick up and thus it makes it a mess. Things like fans are terrible for this.

Let me know if this helps any, and if not I am sorry for you but I know nothing else that could help.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried this to no avail. I tried another couple of checks today in which the mic volume was also terrible:

• Another computer running Windows 7 32-bit (onboard audio)
  • My own computer running Linux Mint

I think it could be time to get in touch with the company I bought it from...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I bought my HS1A's two weeks ago and am experiencing exactly the same issue as mlk1. My reseller already replaced my first pair via RMA, but the problem remains exactly the same.

Before I request another RMA, I now require a clear statement on whether this issue is a fault of both the headsets I received, or whether the low volume / white noise of the microphone is a design issue of the HS1A that cannot be solved by replacing them.

• 1 month later...
I too think I have the same problem. The microphone works but the volume is quite low and there is a fair amount of static/interference. I've tried multiple pc's (front and back ports), reinstalling audio drivers, and adjusting the volumes/boost.

Can someone address the microphone problem that I, mrosenki, mlk1, esswok, BBB83, and many others online have been experiencing?

Others have RMA'd it and gotten a replacement that behaves the exact same so I'd like to know if this expected behavior.

Archived