Corsair Community

Checking Firmware

dawscaus

Ok i am a slightly uneducated. I originally had my bios in RAID mode however my p-128 drive is not in a RAID array. So i changed my bios to AHCI and windows would not boot. I then changed my bios to IDE and it booted fine. So i run crystal disk info and it tells me that I have firmware 1.0. I thought the Performance series had a number like VBM19C1Q for the latest firmware. Can someone please tell me or direct me on where I should go. Also can someone tell me why windows would not boot in AHCI mode but in IDE and RAID.

damascus, Usually if you have it set to RAID mode and you are not really using a RAID array it will default to AHCI but it sounds to me like in your case it defaults to IDE. You will have to follow the sticky guide here in the corsair SSD forum to switch from IDE to AHCI mode. You modify the registry and then reboot, then in your BIOS change it to AHCI mode.

With regards to your firmware question please provide a screenshot (use snipping tool or other) and show us the crystaldiskinfo page for the drive.

Ok my system is in IDE mode and boots, I have created a usb boot drive using the ultimate boot drive usb tool, and have run the firmware updater. however when the firmware updater searches for my ssd it finds no devices. What to do.

Also I here is a picture of what crystal disk info shows when I am in IDE mode.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww214/dawscaus/crystaldiskinfo.png

i will check and see if there is a firmware version sticker on my drive, and report back

ahh all is explained thanks so much. I have one last question. I want to run this drive as my boot device, and I want to run my mechanical drives in a raid configuration. I want to do all of this with out adding a raid card. I want all the features of ahci also like trim ect. I am going to reinstall windows so that isnt an obstacle that I need to work around. What should be my plan of action?

This is what I think I need to do.

1. wipe SSD clean with some SSD clean tool

2. Boot to windows 7 installer

3. Install amd RAID/AHCI driver

4. Install windows

This should enable me to switch from RAID to AHCI and back and forth correct just not IDE right?

This will also enable all the features of AHCI, correct?

Please let me know what you think, and I need to move this to a different section I will do so. Thank you for all your help.

That's what I suspected haha, you do have the P3 drive.

Use secure erase (Parted Magic) and wipe the SSD. Set your BIOS to AHCI mode for the primary controller and install windows.

Plug your two mechanical drives to another controller and set that to the desired RAID mode. When you boot into windows, you can install the RAID driver there.

ps. AHCI is not required for TRIM.

with my motherboard I have to set all my sata controllers to the same settting. What would be the implication of setting my bios to raid and installing the os in that mode eventhough the drive wont be in an array? Isn't raid a superset of ahci?

If I install in ahci mode will i be able to change my controllers to raid and still boot?

If you have to set all the sata ports to the same setting (ie, you have one sata controller), I don't think what you're asking is possible, but I could be wrong.

If anything, set it to RAID mode, then in your RAID ROM utility, include the two drives you want in the array and build it, then leave the other one alone, perhaps it will run in IDE mode on it's own. From what you said earlier, it should be in IDE mode, though usually from what I've seen it runs in AHCI.

Archived