Corsair Community

Abit IC7-G & CMXPC3200C2 DDR400

Scott049

I am running an Abit IC7-G board with 2 sticks of CMXPC3200C2 XMS 512MB RAM. I'm running a P4 3.0gHz w/800mHz FSB. For some reason, my machine spontaneously reboots within 1-2 minutes after reaching windows (XP Home). I'm wondering if my RAM is incompatible with my board. Corsair's memory guide recommends the TWIN-X sticks for my particular board, but I have tried running each CMX 512MB individually to no effect, so I doubt the TWIN-X to CMX matters - unless (unlikeley) both of my sticks are bad. I have either replaced or tried alternate parts for every other component in my system short of my keyboard, USB Explorer mouse and processor. I have even reformatted my HD to make sure it wasn't software related and also tried running a different HD. The two main components that have remained are my RAM and processor. I should aslo mention that I ran an Asus P4C800E-Deluxe board for over 5 months before I started having memory related crashes (so the Windows error stated). I changed to the Abit thinking it was an incompatibility issue between the board and memory. With the Asus board, I just had program crashes. Now, with the Abit board, I get full reboots. What baffles me also, is that my machine ran rock-solid stable for 5-6 months before having problems, and I had changed absolutely nothing in my system when the problems started. Anyone (RAM guy) have any suggestions for what I can try with my current Abit board? P.S. - I have attached a bitmap of the error message I was receiving with my Asus board when trying to run Warcraft III.

• Corsair Employee
I would set the timings manually to the tested settings for the modules that you have Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then please test them one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and let's make sure one is not failing or weak. If you do find one failing please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace the pair.

Thank you very much for the reply! I will try that when I get home. Based on the two boards I have tried the memory in, do you know of any incompatibility issues with either of them? Corsair recommends the TWIN-X, which I don't have, but isn't the CMX practically the same memory aside from the matched feature?

• Corsair Employee
If you are not getting any errors in memtest86, and still the system reboots. I would try and test the modules on another MB if possible but it might suggest some other problem like PSU, CPU or MB. Or maybe some type of driver problem.

I have tried one stick in my brother's system (MSI K7N2 Ultra MB w/AMD 2500+) and ran it at 333mHz and it ran just fine. I also bought a brand new Enermax 460w PSU 2 weeks ago along with my Abit MB and I get the same exact error that I got with my Asus board and 350w PSU. I have been talking with Intel's horrible customer warranty support and they're trying to tell me that my memory may be bad or incompatible with my motherboard. Now that I've pretty much established that that is not the case, hopefully now I can get them to actually cover their supposed warranty on my CPU. Thanks again for the help. I just needed some ammo against Intel's CS reps.

Archived