Corsair Community

CUE Update Statement (2/17/2015)

Corsair James

• Corsair Employee

I wanted to give everyone an update on the internal progress of CUE and the top issues that are widely discussed. CUE is something we’ve been hard at work here that involves an immense amount of resources from the developers, software engineers, validation, and the beta testers. As I’ve stated in many threads, part of the difficulty of resolving bugs is both the frequency of which it occurs and the hardware configurations they affect. For the vast majority of users, most people are able to use their keyboards without any issues. However, we want everyone to have a flawless process and we are working with a number of you to note the issue and to document as much information as possible to resolve it.

To give some layer of transparency, I’d like to update you all on the top 3 issues that people have been reporting for CUE:

1.) 16.8 Million Colors: This is considered to be issue #1 in house and we been working on a solution for this for a long time now. We apologize it has been so late since the last promised update, but we are still progressing towards a resolution. The reason for this long delay is that it is a combination of both firmware and software. They both work in conjunction and both the developers and our software engineers are doing everything they can to resolve this as soon as possible, unfortunately I still don’t have an ETA to provide.

2.) Steam Issues: The good news is that thanks to everyone who submitted their system data, we have been able to follow-up and may have a resolution with the issue that affects the small minority of users affected by either light freezing while Steam games are running, or issues that may cause Steam to crash. The bad news is that the fix is a long and complicated one that may take at least 8-10 weeks to resolve. Like the 16.8 million color issue, it is a combination of both firmware and software that involves a massive workaround to encompass all the different aspects of hardware. Again, because this doesn't affect a majority of people, but the solution has to work for everyone anyways.

3.) Long POST process in BIOS: This issue is actually related to how certain BIOS in a small group of motherboards have a difficult time communicating with the keyboard in POST. To be frank, the USB enumeration from the keyboard is too quick for some BIOS to properly receive and hence ends up hanging the BIOS for a prolonged (2-3 mins) at a time. This doesn’t affect all BIOS either but it is aggravating for those who experience it. The temporary workaround you can use is to toggle the button on top of the keyboard to change the polling rate from 1/2/4/8 to BIOS and then change it back afterwards. The long term solution is that we may implement some type of delay for the keyboard to be registered to bypass those systems that have this BIOS issue. We’re also working with some of the motherboard manufacturers to resolve it through a BIOS update too.

In the meantime, while working on these issues with long term solutions, we are planning a new CUE update by the end of the month that is currently in validations (if no serious issues are found). We will have even more bug fixes in this version not noted here as well as a newly implemented feature for users who desire out of the box effects. So while the top 3 issues may take a long time to resolve, we are working in parallel to resolve lesser known issues in order to improve the overall experience. It has been a slightly bump road but I am sure all of you have seen the improvements since release back in September. I encourage all of you to continue posting issues you may have so we can deal with them as they come up.

If you have any specific concerns or questions, my PM box is always open (give me 1-2 days to reply as I can get a lot of messages). We want to ensure that everyone is happy with our products. If for any reason you’re not, our support team, and I will do what I can to make your experience a positive one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for the update!

Those Steam issues definitely seem really hard to pin down, but it's nice to have an ETA for the fix.

The 16.8m color issue is probably something that is very complex which explains why a fix is so far down the road. I think a good idea would be to work on improving it through firmware updates over time rather than just release 1 big update really far in the future. Like, setting a shorter term goal for 16 brightness setting per channel as opposed to the current 8 (including black/off).

Can we have any specifics about the color issue. Has there been any progress yet (more than 8 bits achieved etc.) or still more issues to figure out before you get there.

If you could give us any specifics I think it would help the community be at ease about the issue than a generic statement.

• Corsair Employee

These issues are going to be released as soon as they're done. We may bundle additional bug fixes with them but these 3 issues aren't going to be dependent upon each other unless parallel development allows them to be completed simultaneously.

As for updates, there aren't really any to share specifically beyond that we're working with both the controller and the software. They're doing coding optimizations and enhancing the communication between hardware and software to ensure it doesn't break anything and improves what we have already. Your interpretation of "these problems are hard" and "we're still working on them" isn't an inaccurate version for TL;DR.

1.5.X will have what you're assuming Riekopo. It'll allow for standard lighting effects for users who either don't want to program their own lighting or only desire 1-2 effects.

I have to thank you James for this statement, it feels more reassuring to know that these issues are being worked on, and that there is some sort of ETA for some issues.

I hope you provide more in-depth details as this process goes forward.

Yes, thanks James for the update. FWIW, the only issue you mention here that I experience, is the random VERY slow boot (POST).

If it's of any help, I have had cause to restore my Windows 8.1 installation from a cloned copy I made before I installed the CUE software. As if by magic, I no longer suffer from the slow boot/POST issue. My hardware has remained the same so it is obviously some issue with the software.

I have a K70 RGB connected via a single USB 3.0 port and a M95 on a USB 2.0 port.

I don't know about your keyboard but my K65 does look just like that one. In the video I can distinctly count 8 steps between the brightest white and OFF during the gradients.

EDIT .... correction, after seeing full screen I think there is 16 steps (4-bit). That gives me even more faith in an eventual fix for this. :) Thanks for posting the video.

Thank you for your response, my K65 has been a sore spot of buyers remorse since day one. it is nice to know you guys hear our voice and are working on a fix, i want to love this board and if the steam issues can be fixed then im sure it and your company will be my recommendation from here on out.

The really concerning thing is that from what you've written, it sounds like Corsair doesn't actually know for sure how to fix these problems. That's really not good enough after all this time. If you'd have been able to say that you have a solid roadmap for the fixes, give some indication as to what that roadmap looks like, that might have been a little more reassuring. But your post doesn't give me that indication at all.

i know i have been a jerk on the forums about this keyboard not working with steam and the slow boot

but sense you guys are brought out a statement about it and say its going to be fixed

i am sorry and never meant to be a jerk

lol i really dont care about the 16.8 million colors the only colors ill probably ever use is light blue green and red lol

to match my system cause its blue and red

i just wanted to use some macros with the software and some effects and no more slow boot

Thanks James and sorry if i ever came off as a D***

i know i have been a jerk on the forums about this keyboard not working with steam and the slow boot

but sense you guys are brought out a statement about it and say its going to be fixed

i am sorry and never meant to be a jerk

lol i really dont care about the 16.8 million colors the only colors ill probably ever use is light blue green and red lol

to match my system cause its blue and red

i just wanted to use some macros with the software and some effects and no more slow boot

Thanks James and sorry if i ever came off as a D***

Cool of ya man.

Just remember a serene mind is the only way forward :p

Anger doesn't get anyone anywhere, more often than not the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

If some one messes up it'll be just as visible without violently reaching out.

Without the part where the right potentially falls into the wrong.

Props :).

Ok, Corsair demands 170$ for a Keyboard. I live in Europe and payed 227$ because not many Shops sell this keyboard. And one of the MAIN Features (the stupid lightning) doesn't work. And you guys tell us we should wait a couple of weeks for a potential fix.... really? Are you on Crack? You sell a product to customers and the Basic Features are not working. :mad: I think i should return this peace of garbage as fast as i can.

Whoa Tiger ... chill pill now dude.

Essentially 100% of your post is over-reaching and over-reacting. 98% of the features of this keyboard are working well, and only the gradients are at this time a little wonky. If you cannot be patient by all means return it, and spare those of us who will gladly wait a little longer the anguish of reading any more of your contributions. Thank you. ;):

Essentially 100% of your post is over-reaching and over-reacting. 98% of the features of this keyboard are working well, and only the gradients are at this time a little wonky. If you cannot be patient by all means return it, and spare those of us who will gladly wait a little longer the anguish of reading any more of your contributions. Thank you. ;):

What he said ^^

Lol....putting a 200$ Price Tag on a Keyboard and don't get the MAIN Feature to work is like building a car and put some square wheels on it. Corsair should be ashamed that they released such a unfinished product. And i'm astonished that not more people are angry about such a lazy working morale.

Although I do agree with you in a way, but the issue here is misleading advertising, and I'm going out on a limb here, but also unfair/deceptive business practice. If you look at any promotional material about the RGB line, 16.8 million colors is plastered as one the main features of these devices, when in reality (at least for keyboards) it's just plain wrong. If there was an asterisk with something like "right now its 512 colors, 16.8 will be rolled out with a new update" and that was clear enough to most users - people would just be interested in when the update will come out - it would be fine in a way. But what fuels the fire even more, is that it wasn't Corsair who came out with the this, rather a user on this forum figured it out. Most users I guess were just oblivious to "slow" color transitions and didn't actually understand that the lack of available color steps actually means that fewer colors are available. So it just means that Corsair screwed their customers over, because it just isn't possible, that with all the engineers, developers, marketing people and so on, who were working on these products "missed" the fact that 16.8 million colors is advertised, when they all knew that that wasn't the case. This is were unfair/deceptive business practice comes in - it was a decision by Corsair to go with the 16.8 million color statement, and not mention that it's in fact just 512 colors, a mere 0.003% of the advertised color spectrum. Again, if 512 colors where advertised as opposed to 16.8 million - there wouldn't be any issue, and if Corsair would've came out later and said "guess what? we made 16.8 million colors available, just download this update" that would've been totally fine. Now we're in a situation where Corsair has and is still putting out 16.8 million colors in their advertising when it's been proven and Corsair has admitted to having only 512 colors - that is in fact in most countries considered unlawful. That's what you have to keep in mind. This isn't some kickstarter campaign with low expectations and subject to changes - this is a product that is being sold (good luck finding one) that has false information provided to customers.

If you remember correctly the RGB line was delayed by a few months before release, and Corsair said it was working on a few issues was the reason. As the weeks drug on there was significant backlash, very angry people begging, pleading, even demanding the product be released as promised.

Corsair apparently, and admittedly, were aware of the gradient issue ... and I believe as an attempt to quell discontent released the keyboards as is with the pledge to redouble their efforts toward a solution. Nothing has changed except for the demands of the customer, who started by demanding release now they've done a 180 demanding resolution ASAP.

Corsair could have made a default, straight from the box, initial power UP profile that disguised the limited gradient effect problem they were having. But what did Corsair do? The very first sight we all witnessed when the lights first came on was an all red background with WASD and the arrow keys making 8 sluggish steps from red to white. That certainly was NOT an attempt to cover or distract from the issue at hand, was it?

I understand that many are upset, but beating up Corsair over it is really not making this solution come any faster.

Lol....putting a 200$ Price Tag on a Keyboard and don't get the MAIN Feature to work is like building a car and put some square wheels on it.

Firstly, it's not the main feature. This is a quality mechanical keyboard with backlit keys ... not a "Lite Brite" that doubles as a keyboard. Perspective .. grasshopper. :)

If you want a better analogy .. it's like building a car with a stuck ashtray, not really a deal killer if you think about it.

Lol....putting a 200$ Price Tag on a Keyboard and don't get the MAIN Feature to work is like building a car and put some square wheels on it. Corsair should be ashamed that they released such a unfinished product. And i'm astonished that not more people are angry about such a lazy working morale.

It's more like buying a used car. It still works well, it's totally and completely functional in almost all aspects, but it's just missing some of that color/shine of buying it brand new.

The product in all entirety is finished, the lights work, the keyboard itself is actually very well made. It just needs a few tweaks to bring it up to it's advertised self. Being finished does not necessarily mean it's perfect in all aspects, because nothing ever is. When was the last time you finished something perfectly?

Corsair is working on it and you should be happy to already have one of the best keyboards on the market. You really won't get as much out of the Razer Chroma or the Logitech G910.

A read through of this thread: K70 RGB keyboard incapable of displaying full color range should give a more appropriate cross section for people's reactions and with the length of time we have been dealing with this issue. Also just to note the 8-10 weeks was to resolve issues with steam, since you mentioned "a couple weeks" in your previous post. The lighting fix is still has no ETA so one might assume 2.5 months+

On a positive note, I am pleased to see Corsair is putting an effort for transparency by this clear concise statement explaining the current situation and hope to see this effort continue.

It just needs a few tweaks to bring it up to it's advertised self. Being finished does not necessarily mean it's perfect in all aspects, because nothing ever is. When was the last time you finished something perfectly? Corsair is working on it and you should be happy to already have one of the best keyboards on the market.
Well.. Mm .. Yeah.. Well it seems you have no understanding when it comes to false advertising and how big of a deal it is. Nvidia is now hit with a class action lawsuit for not disclosing the fact that 500mb of the 4GB of VRAM on the 970 is slower than the rest. Technically the cards do have 4GB of VRAM as advertised, but the fact that ~12% of the VRAM is slower than the rest, is enough to justify going to court for false advertising and maybe unlawful business practices. KIA got hit with a ~$100 million settlement for advertising their cars with up to 10% more horsepower than they actually had. The list goes on, just look up "false advertising cases" and there are hundreds of such examples.

What we're dealing with is not ~10% difference in terms of what was advertised and what is in the box, we're dealing with 3276800% - yes, 3million+ percent difference. This is a huge deal despite of your opinion that it doesn't break the product, and in a technical sense - you're sort of correct. Advertising a car, gpu or whatever with a 10% increased value doesn't break the functionality of the product, 10% more or less horsepower isn't such a big deal, and you can argue that even 512 compared to 16.8 million colors isn't too big of a deal, however advertising false information is illegal. What this means is that Corsair "gave" itself a huge perk - the first RGB mechanical keyboard with 16.8 million colors, that's a huge statement, resulting in an advantage over other manufacturers. However as it turns out, the 16.8 million color claim is false, yet it still is being advertised and promoted that way. In fact most other RGB keyboards out there DO have 16.8 million colors available. Imagine if Corsair did the right thing and actually started advertising the RGB line of keyboards of only being able to display 512 colors, they would loose their advantage in heart beat. People who don't have any brand preferences would probably not even look twice at these keyboards and go with a competitor that HAS 16.8 million colors, if that was that important to them. And to be honest, even though I do work with designs and colors, I know that 512 colors is actually enough for most of us, but the number is low, and if as Corsair advertises - "virtually unlimited customization" was a top priority for me, I'd look at other options.

My point is - don't downplay this issue. This is a huge problem, it falls into Corsair actually breaking the law with deceptive advertising. I'm guessing that's the reason they kept silent and detached from all of this. Hopefully they do come up with a solution and fix this, till then I can only hope no one sues the bejesus out of them forcing them to either close down or discontinue this product line until the issue is resolved, it really is that big of a deal guys :/

Archived