Corsair Community

Corsair link recommend custom curve speed

Oakley999

Hi, im just wondering what my fan curve should be like on my corsair link, im using default mode and always have done, but it's proved to be very loud even when my cpu (i5-3570k oc) isnt even hot, as it never gets over 60c. I have a h100i cooler, which is why it stays so cool, im just wondering how to control these 2 fans, i'd like it to be more quiet, as when im playing some games the speed of them seems to be over the top, but while still my computer doesn't burn during proper gaming.

Thanks.

Also, both of my fans are in a group called "H100i temp 1". Right now its showing about 31c right now, what is this? what is this the temperature of?

I just tried changing the group to my i5 3570k avg temp to see if it would slow down or adjust but instead it when to max speed, just under 2400 rpm for some reason.

Also, both of my fans are in a group called "H100i temp 1". Right now its showing about 31c right now, what is this? what is this the temperature of?

I just tried changing the group to my i5 3570k avg temp to see if it would slow down or adjust but instead it when to max speed, just under 2400 rpm for some reason.

h100i temp is the hydro water temp which is by far the best trigger to use as the water is what needs controlling...

You can put any curve on the H100I fans. The temps are what they say, the temp of the H100 "water".

The attached picture shows I have clicked on H100i Fan 1, and on the right I am choosing the fan profile speed.

I attached my H100i fans to my CPU as it ramps up faster as my CPU temp goes up.

644244840_NN-LinkVersion2-7-5339-W8.1andCommanderMINI.thumb.png.3b926cc641680c39a2aec75b630bfbee.png

so should i create a curve then? can you recommend me how fast it should go? or where the points should go? Also, how did you get your motherboard and other fans to show up? thanks.

What is interesting is when the Link display does not display the case fans, H100i pump or fans, or the PSU data, it always displays the ASUS MB temperatures. One time I had ALL my fans plugged into the MB. The Link displayed my MB temps and the fans, nothing else.

After about 100 hours (seriously) of putting the Link products on different MB headers, live unplugging the Mini, rebooting, plugging the Mini back in, rebooting again; Uninstalling the Link software AND deleting the Corsair folder in AppData/Roaming. Re-installing different versions, and again, then if it did not work, repeat the process. I rename my Link profile if I at least change a plug location, or re-install or other major work on the Link system, and I am on "LinkProfile-Version-83,now 84"

What should my points be like on my curve? Also when I have my curve on is it still affected by the water temperature?

Ill answer your second question first. The custom curves, as well as the built in quiet, performance modes etc are based on the temperature of device X. If you have your custom curve based on water temperature it will be affected by water temperature, if you set it to be based on something else it will be based on something else, it's up to you. It's a variable.

As far as the points on the curve, no one is going to be able to answer this for you. It's really up to you and depends on a ton of factors. There is no one size fits all answer, that's why there is a custom option available.

You need to ask yourself some questions:

What processor do you have?

Is it overclocked?

How hot can that processor safely run?

whats more important to you, temp or sound?

For me personally sound is a huge factor, at idle i don't want to hear my PC at all. But at full load I want my processor cooled effectively.

I would recommend 2 things:

1- Find low limit. at idle how fast do you need to run your h100 fans to keep your CPU at 30c or so? for me, I can run as low as 700 rpm's or about 40% stay under 30c and my system is whisper quiet. I don't need a jet engine to browse reddit.

2- find high limit. use prime95 or something similar to stress test your system. are you staying under the redline of your cpu? run this test several times. what are your results at full fan speed? what if you take the fans down to 80%, how much hotter is the CPU? how much quieter is the system?

Here are the results of my tests:

Low limit:

[/img]

So I know that on my setup I can hover at 55-60c with a max 65c with my h100 fans at max speed. 65c is well under the thermal limit of a 4770k, and the fans at 100% are loud, so i run the test again with the fans turned down.

High limit, test 1, 100% CPU@ 4.2 Ghz (Prime 95), 1100 rpm h100 fans:

I use that data to set up my custom curve:

One final note, by default link wants to tie h100 fan speeds to the water temp. For me, that temp never gets too high, I think the max i have seen is 36 or 37c after hours of stress testing an overclock, which i why I have mine tied directly to core temp.

Do these tests yourself, see what you come up with and make a curve that works for you.

Hi, thanks for the in depth answer, I can see you spent a lot of time with helping me, so thank you very much for the help.

http://i.imgur.com/UUICZys.jpg

Heres an image of what i've set up for my custom curve so far, usually, when im using the internet and doing general things, its about about 40c, its not too cool, but then again its not boiling, so im fine with that, and during gaming with 1800-2000 rpm with default mode i get the most of 60c on any of the 4 cores (tested using core temp). I didnt change my group to the i5 avg temp yet in the picture, but i just did and it seems to run fine.

I know all systems are different and such, but is my curve reasonable? do you have any thoughts on it? Also, my pc is quite dusty, and im hoping to get it cleaned out soon, so hopefully that would allow me to turn down the fans a little bit, especially because its coming close to winter. Anyway, thanks.

Edit: While it is convenient to edit it to hearts content, because its based on my avg temp, my fans have been going up and down a lot, making a lot of whirring noises and wierd noises that are slightly distracting, probably because the fans never stay at a frequent speed.

Hi, thanks for the in depth answer, I can see you spent a lot of time with helping me, so thank you very much for the help..

No Problem.

The curve you have should probably be ok... if based on CPU temp and not h100 temp.

So you changed your Group from h100 temp to CPU temp? After doing that you are getting fan rpm spikes?

Whats also quite annoying is that even though im barely doing anything my h100i temp usually gets hotter just because i've had my pc on for a quite a bit, im at 30.6 watching a twitch stream and having my pc on for 6 hours, however i had my window open which kept my room pretty fresh, so im quite confused right now.

Whats also quite annoying is that even though im barely doing anything my h100i temp usually gets hotter just because i've had my pc on for a quite a bit, im at 30.6 watching a twitch stream and having my pc on for 6 hours, however i had my window open which kept my room pretty fresh, so im quite confused right now.

whats your ambient temp?

Hi, thanks for the in depth answer, I can see you spent a lot of time with helping me, so thank you very much for the help.

Heres an image of what i've set up for my custom curve so far, usually, when im using the internet and doing general things, its about about 40c, its not too cool, but then again its not boiling, so im fine with that, and during gaming with 1800-2000 rpm with default mode i get the most of 60c on any of the 4 cores (tested using core temp). I didnt change my group to the i5 avg temp yet in the picture, but i just did and it seems to run fine.

I know all systems are different and such, but is my curve reasonable? do you have any thoughts on it? Also, my pc is quite dusty, and im hoping to get it cleaned out soon, so hopefully that would allow me to turn down the fans a little bit, especially because its coming close to winter. Anyway, thanks.

Edit: While it is convenient to edit it to hearts content, because its based on my avg temp, my fans have been going up and down a lot, making a lot of whirring noises and wierd noises that are slightly distracting, probably because the fans never stay at a frequent speed.

if your basing your curve off the cpu,,erratic fan speed is common which is why basing it off the water temp is recommended ..

theres no way to set an accurate cpu curve simply because different programs produce different heat and loads.

if your basing your curve off the cpu,,erratic fan speed is common which is why basing it off the water temp is recommended ..

theres no way to set an accurate cpu curve simply because different programs produce different heat and loads.

I think I would agree water temps should be a better option but i have avoided it for 2 reasons:

1- the water temp in the h100 (or mine at least) doesn't vary much. I go from 28c or so at idle and never above 35 or 36 during extended prime 95 test (with fans at 1100 rpm, which is quiet enough i dont hear them) That may be simply because the cooler is doing its job, but i'm not sure i want to set a curve with data points that are only 1 or 2 degrees apart.

2- if you wait till the water gets hot to start cooling it (or start cooling it more aggressively via higher radiator fan speeds) it would seem to me that the cooling system has to dig itself out of a hole so to speak. It seems it makes more sense to measure the heat source and keep the water from heating up in the fist place. If my CPU starts getting hot i want to start cooling it as much as possible right away, and not wait till it heats some water first.

wytnyt, could you share your setup and configuration and the logic you used to get to that setup? are you in fact using a 1 or 2 degree change in water temp for the next point to spin the fans up? What are your min/max?

when your cpu temp spikes due to a load,obviously it can be very erratic depending on its instant load

nothing will actually bring it down unless there's a load reduction,however the water combined with the fans help to reduce an increase in temps.

using the water temp as a trigger means using a tighter set of increments which work very well

even a 1 degree difference will ramp up fans in tenths ,,look below for a rough graph

say 35 degrees is the set rpm of 700

say 36 degrees and fan rpm is 1700

35.0 fan spins at 700

35.1 fan spins at 800

35.2 fan spins at 900

till 36 degrees is reached and fan set of 1700 rpm's is reached

look at my signature,this shows my hydro's and curve setups for my hydro's along with a few vids of the curves working...

Archived