Corsair Community

Another K95 with Dead LEDs

R_Gtx

When I first saw the K95 advertised, I thought Wow, must have, the black anodized aluminium perfectly complementing my Lian-Li case, so I pre-ordered, and it duly arrived approx. 13 months ago.

Initially I was very pleased, in fact so impressed with the mechanical keys I gave my old diNovo Edge away (it was then four years old, and I assumed the battery must soon be on the way out... wrong, I hear it is still going strong!).

After 3 months two LEDs died, the "G", right in the centre of the board and one other, I learned to live with this, why pay shipping to RMA for two little LEDs? Well in the last six weeks a further sixteen LEDs have expired, and former admiring comments from all who initially saw it have been replaced with derision.

Has Corsair finally resolved this problem, as in low light levels, the now non-illuminated keys are difficult to read?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two weeks on and a further two LEDs have failed (they always die in pairs?). This is statistically looking less like an unlikely but natural occurrence and increasingly like a design fault (was it a lack of understanding of MTBF when designing built in obsolescence?).

It does look as though RMAing this keyboard would be futile (and unnecessarily expensive), and perhaps trading standards should investigate whether Corsair and its resellers are marketing a known defective product.

Yep, personally I don't understand why people RMA because of dead LEDs.

Dead LEDs would certainly occur again on their new same keyboard later anyway...it seems that it is just a waste of time/money.

Keyboard is 100% functional, it's fine for me...sure it's disappointing not having all keys lit up though.

Two weeks on and a further two LEDs have failed (they always die in pairs?). This is statistically looking less like an unlikely but natural occurrence and increasingly like a design fault (was it a lack of understanding of MTBF when designing built in obsolescence?).

It does look as though RMAing this keyboard would be futile (and unnecessarily expensive), and perhaps trading standards should investigate whether Corsair and its resellers are marketing a known defective product.

I actually already contacted trading standards about this as I am sick and tired of paying a lot of money for Corsair items only to have them fail shortly after.

RMA wouldn't be necessary if Corsair didn't obfuscate their keyboards' disassembly by means of concealed screws and would provide some minimal data on the LEDs used, such as Luminous Intensity at a given current, and viewing angle, permitting suitable replacements to be sourced.

Since my last post, two further LEDs have expired. I have had an RMA request accepted, but not yet convinced I won't be throwing £30 away by returning it, so holding off for now.

I actually already contacted trading standards about this as I am sick and tired of paying a lot of money for Corsair items only to have them fail shortly after.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Dead LEDs would certainly occur again on their new same keyboard later anyway...it seems that it is just a waste of time/money.

Keyboard is 100% functional, it's fine for me...sure it's disappointing not having all keys lit up though.

Probably because they feel cheated for having malfunction keyboard that they payed premium price for.

People who are willing to pay over 100eur for keyboard wants perfection, not some junk. They could buy junk for 5EUR and it would work at least few months, maybe even longer than their "premium" flagship of such glorified company.

2nd, but not least important, when someone comes at your house and see half lights dead and asks how much you payed this keyboard, its actually embarrassing to admit... "Yes, im an idiot who payed 150eur for K95 that shows signs of dying after only 3 months of medium use".

They feel like fools, and they feel cheated and embarrassed, thats why. Its not about one or two dead light, it does not make keyboard useless, but it does make user disappointed.

After all, whoever bought Corsair's keyboard, did not do so just to have usable keyboard, something that "at least works".. It bought it because brand should bring high-end, quality product. Not something that has few or half dead lights and "at least works".

Chinese noname keyboard "at least works".

And Razer's. (joke here ^^)

From Corsair we expected more..

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am lucky, I've only got 3 dead LEDs on mine (so far), up until the 3rd failure (on G13, a key I have never used) I was giving consideration to simply replacing all of the keycaps with white printed keys, at least then I could switch the LEDs off and not worry about being able to see where my fingers are. But now, I am thinking that I will just scrap the whole thing and buy something else.

It's a shame really as I have always found Corsair stuff to be pretty good in the past, I've had my 500r for a few years, with no trouble, memory has always been rock solid, even the PSU has been great, not had any problems with my M95 either, but this keyboard, it seems to me that it is fundamentally flawed in some way. I previously had a Lgitech G15 version 1, it lasted me nearly 7 years, and was only replaced because the backlighting was starting to fail, and the keys had worn out. but it was a solid keyboard.

In contrast, I've had this K95 less than six months, and its already showing signs of being not worth the money I paid for it. Is it worth the RMA? no, a replacement would be just as likely to suffer LED failures.

I guess when I have a little spare money, I'll buy a different brand, and consign this to the scrapheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a powersupply and memory from corsair so I thought a keyboard K95 (140 euro) will have excellent quality. Bought it close to end of june 2014.

Two months flawlessly then my 'F1' and 'r' key leds were dead (used at lowest intensity). Got it replaced by webshop. Now my new one arrived yesterday (yay) and today the '6' key led is dead. Not a coincidence.

2 years warranty and in 2 months already 2 boards failing.

I'm thinking 'bout switching to another brand as I see so many people with same problems and getting another fresh board probably won't solve it too. :mad:

Add me to the pile.

I bought my K95 off of NewEgg last June, the keyboard does work great, but the LED's on 1-2 keys died within 6 months. Since then, I turned off the lighting. Recently, I turned it back on and about 5 more LED's are out. Many on keys I practically never touch!

I wish there was a DIY kit I could buy to replace them myself. I have not RMA'd the keyboard because it's a hassle and there's no guarantee this issue has been resolved on a replacement keyboard.

there's no guarantee this issue has been resolved on a replacement keyboard.

Isn`t it the opoosite - guarantee it is not resolved - most probably it will happen again. My thinking on all the discussions to read on the net when it comes to dead LEDs -"Corsair will replace - no problem" - What after 2 years warranty?

Isn`t it the opposite - guarantee it is not resolved - most probably it will happen again. My thinking on all the discussions to read on the net when it comes to dead LEDs -"Corsair will replace - no problem" - What after 2 years warranty?

The 3mm flangless white LEDs are at least through hole components, so replacing them (with better sourced parts) after the two year warranty period should not be overly problematic. Unlike the smd tricolour LEDs of the Kxx rgb keyboards, after the warranty period you really are up the proverbial creek should any fail.

Thought I might have had bad luck in having a few LED's dying, but looks like a lot of us have the same problems.

I bought my K95 in October last year, so almost a year of medium use and I currently have 4 dead LED's.

Reading through this thread, I was wondering if anyone heard from the trading standards.

As said before, I refuse to accept the fact that I paid a premium price for a faulty product. Like so many of you, I was very impressed with Corsair products in the past, and the design of the Vengeance keyboards. Which is exactly why I was prepared to pay up for the K95. But after seeing that Corsair evidentally thinks it wise to ignore the problem or at least not provide a permanent fix, I'm very likely to avoid their products and advise anyone who will hear it the same.

It would be nice to see if we could (legally) force Corsair to deal with this problem and offer a satisfying and fitting solution to its customers who are dealing with their faulty products.

I'm going to look into my local (Dutch) legislation regarding the quality of products and what rights we have as paying customers. It would be nice if you all did the same for your respectable countries in an effort to bring this issue to the table.

The strange thing is, I have owned other keyboards over the years with LED's (not mechanical though) and the LED's still work. I just don't know what the deal is with these particular keyboards. It's not from typing, I'm pretty sure of that. Like I mentioned, I have keys burned out I never really touched (some of the higher G macro keys).

:(:

• Corsair Employee
Looking at the Cherry MX keyswitch technical specification, it would appear that optional lighting specified only red, yellow or green LEDs. Did Cherry Corporation authorize the use of Blue or White Leds? If so they may also be liable for this problem. If not, then clearly Corsair are entirely at fault.

The key switch is designed to use any 3mm LED - we're not the only ones who also use white.

You are not alone! freaking LEDs

I have a K70. Dead LEDs within a few months. RMA which went smooth tbh. Few weeks back, dead LEDs again.

Within a year two times a keyboard with dead LEDs.

I wanted to express RMA the second one, but no option to do so. asked if it was possible to express RMA and they said call the US (I am from the EU). I dont use skype and dont want to pay the phone cost, especially when you know the RMA office is in my country.

The keyboards from Corsair with LEDs are just badly made. With the high price you may expect to have a premium product, unfortunately this is not true. For this price you may also expect premium support, unfortunetaly this has changed also.

Archived