Corsair Community

Looking for some advice

DRunkCoWBoy69

So I bought the k-70, i love it, happen to be building a new computer and I have now decided to buy alot of corsair stuff. Ive already purchased the H115I water cooler which as far as I can tell does not need a fan controller to work? I cant really be certain, my current motherboard doesent have the right pins to test anything, its far to old. I will be ordering my new mobo and cpu this week, I already bought a rtx 2070. But i planned on buying 6 more fans, 5 120 mm and 1 140 mm, of the LL series of course. I also wanted the LED strips. I bought a thermeltake view 71 mammoth full tower case and im replacing all the fans in it with corsair fans which i realize is stupid but I just had my heart set on that case. So my question is, should I buy the corsair commander and buy the fans individually or should I buy the fans in those packs that come with that small fan controller? And if I split the fans into 1 slot on the controller will they still worK? If i needed to I could make that 140mm rear fan into a 120. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want desktop based software fan control through the iCUE software that governs the lighting, you will need a Commander Pro. Otherwise, you use the Lighting Node Pro that comes in the triple LL120 pack to communicate with the lighting software and your motherboard or other fan headers for fan power. A Commander Pro is a Lighting Node Pro with a 6 port fan controller and 4 thermal probe sensors.

Mutli-packs vs singles -> You'll need to price it for your area. Costs seem to be fluid lately and the mutli-pack may or may not be financially advantageous. If it's close, get the triple pack. Inside will be the RGB Lighting Hub you must have for lighting power and a Lighting Node Pro for software communication. Even if you decide to get the Commander Pro, you still must have the RGB Lighting Hub. The extra node pro can be chained into the Commander Pro to expand lighting capabilities beyond 2 RGB channels. 6 fans and 4 strips will be 2 full channels.

You can mix and match LL120 and LL140s on the same RGB Lighting Hub. Fan size does not matter. LED count does. All the LL have 16.

H115i (Pro? Platinum?) has an onboard fan controller. 2x140 fans plug into the pump. You will have software control and monitoring through iCUE.

It is shaping up like you will need the RGB Lighting pro expansion package. This is the 4 strips plus 4 extensions. Those extensions (not available in the Node Pro bundle) can be very valuable for allowing the placement you want.

Edited by c-attack

You should not need a Lighting Node Pro (LNP) and a Commander Pro at this point. You will only need to install one or the other. If you want fan speed control for the case fans through iCUE, it has to be the Commander Pro. You may wind up with both anyway. Typically the RGB Lighting Hub is a $10 USD product, but once you factor in shipping and time, the individual price for 3 LL120 + Hub usually does not beat the triple pack by more than a few pennies. Since the LNP still has value even when not initially utilized, get the triple pack if the cost is close.

Yeah i thought i would just need the commander pro so thank you for keeping me from a costly mistake. I suppose i dont need fan speed control at the moment so ill leave the commander pro on hold for now. But thank you for making it crystal clear, I need to buy the packs.

• 3 weeks later...

just finished, thanks again for the help guys

https://sta.sh/01izbne1stu3

thank you c-attack for saving me from buying the commander pro(turns out my mobo is great at managing fan speeds) and thank you zotty for the great diagrams. Im pretty happy with it, if I could do it over again I would probably skip the CPU cooler because it ended up in a weird place but im still happy with it. So now one more thing. My very expensive mobo for whatever reason only came with 2 of those USB slots that you plug the lighting node pro into. 1 of them is used by the CPU cooler and the other is used by the 1 lighting node pro im using, I actually had to unplug the usb ports in the front my case, not that it mattered much. And I already have an excessive amount but i couldddd fit two more fans on the bottom of my case. So question is if I use something like this does anyone know if it would still work probably and be recognized in ICUE?

Your 2 internal usb hubs are 1 more than a lot of people. The linked device should work and I know others are using it for the same purpose. You’ll hate this, but the Commander Pro has 2 onboard USB 2 hubs as well. I have used both of mine on the C-Pro to solve that problem.