Corsair Community

CUE Causing Steam Crash

AlanOC91

Hey folks.

To cut a very very long story short.

CUE crashes steam 3 times out of 5 when I turn on/off any form of a controller. I'd go as far as to say it would crash steam whenever a USB device in general is inserted.

I've had this problem since December 2016 and have literally tired everything to fix it. Only tonight was it pointed out to me that it's a USB device causing the issue, after some Googling it seems CUE is causing it.

I initially thought it was a Steam issue and actually ended up in a week long email exchange with a Senior Valve Engineer. After inspecting my latest dump file when my steam crashed he said:

"Thanks for the dump. It’s confirmed that Steam is blocked in a Windows USB device driver call."

He then told me it may be my keyboard as during one of our tests it wouldn't crash while the keyboard was unplugged.

At this stage I think it's CUE. I'm tempted to download an older version to see if that fixes it but is there any other possible solution to this?

I would be so very grateful. This issue has hounded me for months now and is ruining my controller experience on steam.

My keyboard is Corsair K65 RGB. I have the latest version of CUE.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm that completely uninstalling Corsair Utility Engine has resolved the issue...

I'm going to try version 1.6 to see if it works for me.

There seems to be an issue for certain people in the latest build where it acts really funny with USB devices and cripples Steam.

I can confirm that completely uninstalling Corsair Utility Engine has resolved the issue...

I'm going to try version 1.6 to see if it works for me.

There seems to be an issue for certain people in the latest build where it acts really funny with USB devices and cripples Steam.

do you have any other software installed that would be grabbing or messing with the device inputs?

do you have any other software installed that would be grabbing or messing with the device inputs?

Nothing that I am aware of. I'm pretty sure it's 100% CUE considering it works perfectly with v1.6 and seems to have numerous USB issues with v2 onwards.

For reference, here is a lit of my startup programs:

http://i.imgur.com/qbCwuLH.png

• 1 month later...
I'm having this exact same issue. Can you please let me know what you've done to resolve it? Is it simply just using an older version of CUE? If so, what is best? I'm using a K70 Lux RGB. Thanks, really need this.

For anyone curious:

Downgrading to V1.6 fixed the issue to me. According to a Steam senior engineer, it's an issue with CUE and USB priority.

Contacting/telling Corsair about it was pointless. Like banging my head against a wall.

• Corsair Employee
For anyone curious:

Downgrading to V1.6 fixed the issue to me. According to a Steam senior engineer, it's an issue with CUE and USB priority.

Contacting/telling Corsair about it was pointless. Like banging my head against a wall.

CUE 1.16 uses a different driver than CUE 2.X. Who was this steam engineer you spoke to? If they can provide to us the data of this USB priority, we can fix it because we can't reproduce it internally (and its not a widespread issue).

CUE 1.16 uses a different driver than CUE 2.X. Who was this steam engineer you spoke to? If they can provide to us the data of this USB priority, we can fix it because we can't reproduce it internally (and its not a widespread issue).

I believe it's more widespread than you think. It may just be that users are not plugging in controllers or mice often enough. If you take a look at this thread I started, another user is having the exact same issue as I am.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168442

There's also a lot more reports of it with the exact same issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167509

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168442

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=899462

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165416&highlight=steam

I did quite a bit of testing and the culprit is definitely the driver that CUE is installing. When I completely uninstall CUE, the issue no longer happens to me.

In my steps to reproduce in the thread I started:

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start computer.

2. Notice that CUE has loaded up since my lights are showing RGB effects

3. Plug in a USB device like a controller or another mouse

4. Notice that Steam freezes and is unusable. ALSO notice that if you press Caps Lock or Numlock, the lights will not light up, no matter what you do.

5. Set polling switch to BIOS

6. Steam now unfreezes and is usable.

7. Set polling back to default. Caps lock and Numlock also now works again.

8. You can now unplug and replug USB devices without issue, but this only lasts for maybe 1 or 2 replugs. You have to go back to Step 1 again.

If I have CUE installed, I only need to unplug and replug USB devices about 3 times before I experience the issue.

When I completely uninstalled CUE, I tried unplugging and replugging USB devices using the same steps and even after 30 tries, I no longer get the issue. Definitely a driver issue due to the Corsair Composite Virtual Input Device.

Also, even downgrading to 1.16, I get the same issue but less frequent. (happened at about 8 cycles of unplugging and re-plugging a USB device)

It's really, really easy to reproduce so I really hope you guys are able to do it on your end. It sucks to have an RGB keyboard where you can't use the software in the first place to change the RGB lights.

I believe it's more widespread than you think. It may just be that users are not plugging in controllers or mice often enough. If you take a look at this thread I started, another user is having the exact same issue as I am.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168442

There's also a lot more reports of it with the exact same issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167509

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168442

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=899462

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165416&highlight=steam

I did quite a bit of testing and the culprit is definitely the driver that CUE is installing. When I completely uninstall CUE, the issue no longer happens to me.

In my steps to reproduce in the thread I started:

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start computer.

2. Notice that CUE has loaded up since my lights are showing RGB effects

3. Plug in a USB device like a controller or another mouse

4. Notice that Steam freezes and is unusable. ALSO notice that if you press Caps Lock or Numlock, the lights will not light up, no matter what you do.

5. Set polling switch to BIOS

6. Steam now unfreezes and is usable.

7. Set polling back to default. Caps lock and Numlock also now works again.

8. You can now unplug and replug USB devices without issue, but this only lasts for maybe 1 or 2 replugs. You have to go back to Step 1 again.

If I have CUE installed, I only need to unplug and replug USB devices about 3 times before I experience the issue.

When I completely uninstalled CUE, I tried unplugging and replugging USB devices using the same steps and even after 30 tries, I no longer get the issue. Definitely a driver issue due to the Corsair Composite Virtual Input Device.

Also, even downgrading to 1.16, I get the same issue but less frequent. (happened at about 8 cycles of unplugging and re-plugging a USB device)

It's really, really easy to reproduce so I really hope you guys are able to do it on your end. It sucks to have an RGB keyboard where you can't use the software in the first place to change the RGB lights.

I have my wireless controller receiver connected at start up, and seeing no issue.

• Corsair Employee

@CCFan, its very sporadic and your results are the same as what we see internally.

@cxmachi, we've followed your steps as well as other steps posted elsewhere. No dice. The only thing I can find in common is that it has to deal with a Steam update around the same time period. If you noticed, no one had this issue prior last year and we didn't do anything in CUE that changes how USB is enumerated.

I've been having this issue for months myself, however it happens nearly everytime I plug in or unplug my Corsair Void headset to charge it (my former h2100's also had the same issue). Corsair's support back then was unable to find a solution. Would be nice if Corsair could look into this more and reach out to Steam and those having the issue to get this resolved.

• Corsair Employee
I've been having this issue for months myself, however it happens nearly everytime I plug in or unplug my Corsair Void headset to charge it (my former h2100's also had the same issue). Corsair's support back then was unable to find a solution. Would be nice if Corsair could look into this more and reach out to Steam and those having the issue to get this resolved.

It'd be nice if Steam could reach out to us too since this is entirely on their end from my POV. Im sure they get just as many complaints from their users as we do regarding this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed a K70 LUX today and I had cue 2 (the most recent version) running for my M65 RGB already.. without the K70 LUX all works fine, with the K70 plugged in and I try and connect my xbox 360 controller or any other usb peripheral and steam freezes.. This is not happening at all without the K70 LUX plugged in so I guess I am returning the K70 LUX... It's pretty and all but I can't have this crashing of steam.. that is a deal breaker.

edit: this K70 LUX with browns is SUCH a nice kb though.. I might put it on my other PC until the Cue/Steam/K70 LUX usb struggle is sorted out..

I have also been having this issue for a while and only recently discovered that it related to Steam and CUE.

Here is what I am seeing.

I have a Corsair K70 RGB Rapid Fire, a Steam Controller, and I have a Microsoft 360 wireless receiver with multiple 360 controllers.

Steam has a feature to allow it to manage other controller types the same way it does the Steam controller, for remapping controls and binding to keyboard input. I first had the issue when this feature was added to steam.

I have the issue with that feature enabled or disabled.

The issue is that when ever I turn on one of my wireless 360 controllers, steam will lock up for several seconds, some times close to 30 seconds. If the Steam controller was turned on and I turn on a 360 controller, steam will freeze, and the steam controller will stop working completely. If I was using a 360 controller(s) first and turn on the steam controller, steam will freeze and the 360 controller(s) will stop working. Controllers will not start working even if I unplug them and plug them back in. But everything seems to work properly if I unplug my keyboard or switch it to bios mode and back again.

Some times the issue happens when only using 360 wireless controllers when a second or 3rd one are turned on (with out the Steam Controller turned on at all).

I have the issue with Steam in the release version and the beta version.

I have the issue with CUE version 1.16 and 2.15

I think the issue happens less often if I set CUE to advance mode, but I can't confirm it.

It also seems that the problem might go away completely if I move my keyboard from on of my Intel USB ports to the ASMedia port. The other devices are still connected to the Intel USB ports.

I have also found another really strange issue that is somehow tied to all of this. The Blizzard app (formally Battle.net) takes a VERY long time to start. Like 30 to 120 seconds. But after I have moved the Corsair keyboard to the ASMedia port, it starts in 2-5 seconds.

I have been having this issue for a while now, as does one of my friends. Every single time i plug in or unplug certain usb devices, mainly my xbox one controller. It is definitely linked to CUE, as uninstalling it fixes the issue but leaves me without much needed features of my devices.

And now that you mention it, I also have a really long startup time on my Blizzard launcher and was wondering why. I can no longer recommend any device that uses CUE until these serious issues are fixed.

I had this very issue.. it turned out to be my Strafe RGb and Polaris RGB Mouse mat being plugged into the Gaming Device ports 'Red' usb ports on the rear of my MSI Gaming Motherboard!

Since swapping them into the other usb ports on rear of my mobo the following issues have gone

Steam locking up

Strafe regularly disconnecting from CUE

Polaris Not lighting up at all since latest CUE update

Link Locking up randomly

usb disconnect sound on start up

I have a "non RGB" K70 LUX and I'm getting the same issues. Steam locks up until I switch the polling toggle to bios and back. If I leave steam locked up, I get the usb disconnect sound repeating every 10-30 seconds. With or without the CUE software installed. I've even uninstalled my antivirus software. What happens for me is... The CAPS lock, Num lock and scroll lock indicator lights, will cease to function. Although, the functions of CAPS, Num and scroll lock will still work. Switching the polling switch to bios and back to the 1ms position will fix it. And it will sporadically cause the issues again all on its own. I have a razer death adder and have uninstalled the synapse software, with no change. I've swapped usb ports in every combination with my mouse, no luck. I also notice that, the Num lock light will come on during post, but when windows loads, before I log in, that the Num Lock key isn't lit up. But when I log in, it does light up.

This just happened today out of the blue. I can't think of any software I've installed lately that would have caused this. This isn't an isolated issue obviously and other than a hardware defect with the keyboard itself, I can't see any correlation with it being related to software. I'm going to dump a month old image of windows onto my driven see if the problem still exists. I'll post my results after I've tested it.

This just happened today out of the blue. I can't think of any software I've installed lately that would have caused this. This isn't an isolated issue obviously and other than a hardware defect with the keyboard itself, I can't see any correlation with it being related to software. I'm going to dump a month old image of windows onto my driven see if the problem still exists. I'll post my results after I've tested it.

It's not a hardware issue I can promise you that.

It's not a hardware issue I can promise you that.

I've re-imaged my pc and pretty much updated everything back to how it was when I started having my issues. So far, fingers crossed, my k70 is working as it should. So yes, you are correct when you say it is NOT a hardware issue. Which I'm quite grateful that it is not.

So, I had the issue occur to me again. This time, the only thing I did, was upgrade Corsair LINK from version 4.7.0.77 to the latest, v4.8.0.82. I've uninstalled LINK and reinstalled version 4.7.0.77. I don't have this issue anymore. I suspect they have updated the USB driver and that may be what's caused the issue for me. I should also mention that I do not have the CUE software installed. I don't have an RGB, just a red led k70 so I see no need to install it.

Archived