I recently got a new PC with the following specs:

Asus Maximus VI Formula

i7 4770k

32 GB Dominator Platinum

GTX Titan

512GB Samsung 840 Pro

H100i with 2 Noctua NF-F12 PWM

AX 760i PSU

Case: Coolermaster CM Storm Trooper w/ turned HDD cages (airflow: 2 fans sucking air in from the front, H100i exhausts@top and 1 case fan exhausts@back)

I've built the rig and ran it for about a month without any issues... I had stable temps of around 30C (idle) and max temps of 50C (gaming etc.)@stock CPU speeds.

Yesterday I noticed that my comp has gone from "almost completely silent" to "jet engine"...

When I check Corsair Link my idle core temps are around 45-50°C... My H100i temps (that's the water temp, right?) is at around 43-46°C.

What I've done so far:

- Checked all cables/connections

- Checked the fit of the cooling block and backplate (haven't dismounted it yet because I have no TIM handy), but it seems to sit tight! The fact that the water temp rises along with the CPU temp let's me think that this is not the problem. the backplate also is definitely mounted correct!

- Checked the CPU voltage both in CPU-Z and the UEFI

- Checked the CPU clockspeed in CPU-Z, HWMonitor and the UEFI (running@stock)

- Checked the CPU temps in HWMonitor, Corsair Link and UEFI (all ok)

- Checked the pump speed (in Corsair Link and the UEFI) - it reads about +/-2300 RPM

- Checked if the fans are turning at all (they obviously do..., but you never know!)

Do you have ANY idea what the problem could be? It ran without any problems since day one, only started to act weird since yesterday and I have not changed a thing... No new firmware updates, no new installs, no BIOS updates...

My ambient temperature is about 20°C.

Picture of all temps/rpms and so on in idle:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17080466/temps.png

Thanks in advance!

Okay, ordered some TIM and IsoProp to clean the CPU and cooling block and remount.

This is how it went:

The pre-applied TIM had the consistency of an old gum. Removed it with Iso-Prop (99,9%) and remounted with Noctua NT-H1 TIM. Now I'm back to 31°C in idle.

Problem is solved :)

Archived