Corsair Community

computer wont start after shutdown

whiterabbit

Hi

ive got a weird problem where my computer wont start after i shutdown.

if i turn off the power at the power supply and then turn it on again before the motherboard light has gone out it still wont start. if i wait until the light has gone out and then turn on the power supply, then everything starts fine.

once it actually starts everything works perfectly. also all voltages and fans are fine.

if i shutdown and then turn on computer with case button within a few seconds then it will startup fine. however if i leave it off for a few minutes then it wont start unless i do turning off power supply as above.

ive checked it isnt the case by shorting the power pins on the motherboard to start the computer.

ive now unplugged optional stuff like extra hard drives and fans etc but that hasnt helped. i cant disconnect everything since otherwise i cant start windows to then shut it down to get the problem.

what i did notice is when i short the power pins to start the computer, when it doesnt start up the tpu light does come on (i have it switched on) but nothing else happens. tpu has been switched on since the problem.

ive also unplugged all cables and replugged them in.

anyone have any ideas :mad:

the power plug is the one that came with the power supply but ill try another in another plug.

is it a chance that somewhere there is a short or build up of static thats causing this?

the 2 motherboard power cables are tight and pressed down. also asus windows software and bios both report that all voltages are fine once it actually starts

i also tried booting with no drives plugged in - when it got to the no bootable drives so will enter bios bit, i turned it off and left it a few minutes. then tried turning it on and it wouldnt start so atleast that confirms its not drives or windows somehow causing this

btw everything is brand new so im hoping something isnt dying already

is it a chance that somewhere there is a short or build up of static thats causing this?

Short ...possibly. Static electricity ...no.

If it only happens after you shut it down then it sounds like it could be a mb issue or maybe even the case switch.

I would run the paperclip test found here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991 and see if the PSU pwers up after turning it off.

i turned it off and left it a few minutes. then tried turning it on and it wouldnt start

After you shut it down , are there any LEDS lit on your MB?

the power plug is the one that came with the power supply but ill try another in another plug.

If you have one laying around , great! If not DO NOT go and buy one. Like i stated above there really is no reason to suspect the cable at this ponit. Or the wall socket. If there was a problem with that cable the PSU would not turn on at all. Same goes for the wall socket. The wall socket would trip breakers or blow fuses in your house if there was a short.

im presuming with teh paperclip test that would be with the plugs still in the motherboard?

the main motherboard light remains on but the tpu light goes out. when i tunr power on with screwdriver the tpu light goes on as well but not anything else unless i turn all power off for a while.

• Corsair Employee

NO absolutely not!

Please only connect a HDD and a case fan and follow the directions posted under Brief Functionality test

the main motherboard light remains on but the tpu light goes out. when i tunr power on with screwdriver the tpu light goes on as well but not anything else unless i turn all power off for a while.

That would suggest the system is detecting a short and is turning it self off!

ok ive fixed the problem now

i had the motherboard out of teh case on an anti static bag with no graphics card and even tried another power supply and still the same problem.

however when i came to try and reset the rtc on the motherboard i found the jumper was missing. so basically its bad quality control from asus. ive now put a jumper on and everything seems to be fine.

so if anyone gets weird issues relating to power and turning on/off - check you dont have any missing jumpers.

im suprised when it did boot that it worked perfectly in windows.

anyway thanks for the help

Archived