Corsair Community

Random Restarts...

keith wing

I got a new 650TX PSU last Summer and have been very pleased with it. Very recently though I have been having random restarts on my computer that seem to happen at random times. I have only had it happen once while gaming and the other times it happened in the middle of the night or during the day when I wasn't at the computer. Sometimes it will do it 2 or 3 times a day but that is unusual and generally does it once every 2 or 3 days. The windows event log simply shows that there was an unexpected restart and no other information. I have checked for viruses and malware but found nothing. I have also stress tested the machine but that didn't trigger anything. Machine temperatures are all pretty low but it is showing that my 12v rail is only 11.71v which may just be the MB reading being off. Does this sound like a PSU or connection? Happy to test anything or do what I can to diagnose this. When it does reboot the case fans don't slow down or change speed at all.

• Corsair Employee

Random restarts are going to be difficult to pin down, but I would start by running http://www.memtest.org to make sure you do not have any memory related errors. If you do not have any errors, then I would start swapping components if possible. Test the PSU and or video card in a known working machine and see if you can duplicate the same issues, one component at a time. The 12v rail should remain between 11.4v-12.6v in order to remain within spec, and although BIOS and software readings are hardly accurate, I wouldn't suspect the 12v rail as a possible problem at this point.

Have you checked your temps after a shut down to make sure you do not have a overheating problem?

Yes I have checked my temperatures and they are all pretty low since the computer is in a 68 degree room with good airflow. I ran memtest and everything came up error free after several passes. I guess the next step will be to swap PSU but none of the other units I have are big enough for my video card so I may have to swap out the video card at the same time. The only other PSU I have that I could use is a 430 watt True Power and I don't know if that is big enough to safely run my computer. Probably is but since it has several 12v rails getting plenty of power to everything is a consideration.

Thanks,

Keith

• Corsair Employee

With random restarts I would not normally suspect the PSU as a probably cause. Normally if you have a problem with a PSU the issues will be consistent and easily repeatable. There could be a component going out of spec tripping the "Over Current Protection" or "Over Voltage Protection" circuits on the PSU, or it could be an issue with drivers/software. If you run out of options we can certainly try replacing the unit for you, but I would test the PSU in a different system if possible to make sure that you have the same issues.

To have the unit replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Edit: One more thing, if possible you may want to test both the PSU and the video card in an alternate system. If you can get the same problems, then at least you will have narrowed the problem down to the PSU OR the video card. If you have no issues, then you should be able to rule out those components.

Archived