Corsair Community

Help with Corsair memory and Asus K8V

Max Death

Just up graded system to a Asus K8V with Athlon64 3200+. Put everything together installed two sticks Corsair PC2700 125 Ram. System booted fine, ran stable. Bought two sticks Corair CMX512RE-3200LL replaced the PC2700 with these and system failed "due to CPU overclocking". When I recieve this message I have no video so I can not enter bios to make changes. Took out one stick of the 3200 and system boots and runs stable. Have tried both sticks in the first bank and system is fine. If I place another stick in the other bank the system fails. What the He## is the problem. Asus refuses to help since Corsair memory is not listed as Qualified. Any help would be appreciated.

The general answer is to enter the BIOS and set the DIMM voltage to 2.7 and to manually set the timmings to 2-3-2-6 in case the BIOS does not properly read the SPD of the Corsair. You may also try different DIMM slots like one and three . . . Shamus

I tried setting all memory settings to thier lowest setting before I posted. I fiqured if the thing would post then I could slowly up each setting until it would not post then I could back it down to where it last posted good. Would not even post on settings at lowest. Tried one stick in second bank, nothing in first or third banks, would not post. Will try upping the voltage and try one stick in first bank and the other in the third bank. This is such a pain because of the close quarters inside my case I have to tear part of the computer apart then put it back together to change RAM around. Thanks for the quick reply. Will let you know if this works.

Well just increasing voltage to 2.7 and moving second stick to third bank did nothing. Was finally able to boot part way with both sticks if I turned off Bank Interleaving. This got me to the point where the board was configuring usb controllers and it hung. After I disabled legacy usb support it hung just before booting from the OS. Close but no cigar. I have set Memclock mode, Bank Interleaving, Cas Latency, TRC, TRFC, TRCD, TWR,TRWT, TRAS,TRP,DDR Clock Delay and DDR voltage. ALL to no avail. I have Flashed BIOS to 1002, 1003 and now at 1004. Any more Ideas?

Do you have [URL=http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8V Deluxe&langs=09] K8V Deluxe [/URL] or the [URL=http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=SK8V&langs=09]SK8V[/URL] or either? I ask because they list slightly different RAM specs.... Another question: Do you have the AMD 64 or the 64FX 51? Here is what I see. The part number you listed is Regestered/Buffered ECC RAM. The SK8V requires Registered RAM with ECC and runs the AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor. If this is your rig, you have the right RAM. The K8V Deluxe requires un-buffered (meaning not Registered) RAM with or without ECC and runs the AMD Athlon 64 Processor. If this is your rig, you have the wrong RAM. In this case, that would explain why your first two sticks worked because they are un-buffered and non-ECC. As a note: All Corsair Registered RAM comes with ECC.

Thanks Guys. You're right I have the wrong memory. Must have hit the wrong button or something when I ordered it. Would have sworen on a stack of bibles I bought unbuffered. Was so sure I did not think to look at the part number. The place where I bought it won't take it back unless it is defective. Anyone want to buy 2 sticks of memory? Ordered the right stuff just now CMX512-3200LL. Hope it gets here fast. Once again thanks. And sorry for the trouble.

Just got my new memory two sticks of CMX512-3200LL put them both in and fired up system. Finished the Windows XP screen(the one with the loading animation). then system reset. took out one stick and the computer booted fine. swapped sticks and had the same problem. Tried to boot in safe mode and get to the point where safe mode is printed in all four corners then nothing else loads. Tried setting the DDR votage to 2.7 but this did not make any differance. is it possible that I got a bad stick of memory? The memory test during post shows no problems. Any help would be appreciated. Setting up this new system is going to be the death of me.

• Corsair Employee
What is the make and model of MB you have and the bios settings you have set for CPU and memory? In the orginal post you list K8V and if so I would try setting the timings manually and test the modules one a time at Cass 2-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts.

Asus K8V deluxe Bios at default for the CPU 2 3 3 6 and 2.7volt for memory. Downloaded a Microsost memory test. The one stick of memory failed the test repeatedly. Sent it back to Newegg this morning. The other stick that I am useing at the moment passed the memory test. With both sticks in banks 1 and 2 or in banks 1 and 3 the same stick failed each time no matter how I switched them around. Thanks for the help. Will let you know how things go in 6 or 7 days when I get my replacement. Get the felling if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Ram Guy: Recieved my replacement Ram today just finished installing it and benchmarking it. System runs fast and stable. Finally glad to have the system up and running the way I meant it to. May try so overclocking down the road but for now just too happy to have system running. Thought I would let you know that things are great and thank you for all your help and support.

Archived