Corsair Community

Corsair HX1000i - Worth it?

Donuts23

Hi! I really love what I've read about this PSU, and the price is okay for me as well. However, I do have some quesitions to know wether or not it actually is the right one for me:

1. Is the HX1000i OCP Multi-rail or Single Rail? Is there somewhere written which type it is?

2. Multi-rail vs Single Rail. Technically, a Multi-rail OCP should be safer against current irregularities, correct?

3. If I have a Multi-rail OCP, do I still need to purchase a "NO BREAK"?

4. This is my system, do you think this PSU will be good for it? Do you reccomend any better ones? 1000w is enough right? (was maybe thinking of going to 1200w)

- Asus X99 Deluxe LGA 2011-v3

- Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3

- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32gb

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980

- Primary Drive: Samsung XP941 512gb M.2

- Secondary RAID Drive: 4x Western Digital 600gb Velociraptor

- Corsair Hydro H100i Liquid Cooling

I also plan on eventually getting a secondary GTX 980 to have 2 GPUs. running.

Thank you very much in advance for your attention!

Donuts

Looing at http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hxi-series-hx1000i-high-performance-atx-power-supply-1000-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-psu it says multi-rail, but http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/ax1200i-digital-atx-power-supply-1200-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu says “multi-rail” software modes, with selectable OCP points when the HX does not mention OCP.

Given what the rest of the system is I would get an AX1200i which also reports the PCIe currents for each rail. I expect 1200 watts is overkill as my system with 4 x GTX 980 maxes out at about 1100 watts.

Well, I'd like to have my whole system giving a 40-50% load for my PSU. Therefore it would run in optimal settings and still leave room for extra upgrades such as GPU and stuff.

People recently posted above this post of mine, talking about a Corsair 1200i problem they are having. Is it something I should worry about?

What about the NO BREAK? If I'm not mistaken the 1200i has both OverCurrent Protection and Over Voltage Protection right?

With a PSU like that, is a No Break still necessary?

Thanks a lot!

• Corsair Employee

1. It's multiple +12V rail until you switch it to single +12V rail in Link.

2. Multiple +12V rails doesn't necessarily mean it's "safe" against "voltage irreglarities". All it means is that each connector has a pre-programmed OCP (AXi level products let you change the OCP) so if there's a short that exceeds that OCP, the PSU shuts off.

Read here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

3. What's a "NO BREAK"? Do you mean a UPS? A UPS conditions LINE INPUT. Whether you have single or multiple +12V rails pertains to the DC output. The one has nothing to do with the other.

That said, I always recommend a UPS if you're in an area prone to brown outs.

4. A 1000W is good for two GTX 980s.

Archived