Corsair Community

SSD good choice for boot drive?

FuturisticMC

I am thinking about using an SSD for my boot device for windows 10 64 bit but I have heard that SSDs die faster then mechanical drives. I also know that drives start getting slower when they're getting closer to dying so I'm guessing if I do use an SSD for a boot drive windows should start getting slower which would tell me to Buy a new drive to back up windows onto it. And my last question is how fast will it be to boot up I'm guessing it should be pretty fast because I know SSDs are very fast.

In the early years of SSDs, yes they were known to die unexpectedly. Now that isn't the case as SSDs are becoming more common.

You should always keep a backup of your data even if the drives are working fine as they can go bad unexpectedly. This is pretty much the same with SSDs while they don't go faulty often, at times when it does and its not seen in the BIOS, etc it will be quite difficult to recover data off the drive over a mechanical drive.

60GB is quite small. I'd recommend a 120GB or 240GB SSD drive for OS and some applications you use regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep it`s the Neutron or the Samsung Pro for my new Z170 build, but honestly I think the 850 Pro is the best on the market, but the Neutron XT has great numbers too, still undecided.

Actually the new 950 M.2 will crush everything, but a 256 GB drive is $199.

Now my last question is how to install the OS on the SSD I'm guessing that when I turn the computer on it will ask me where to install the OS and I can choose the SSD but that's only if it's a disc and a USB right? But what if it's a card with a product key?

Here is what I'm going to buy. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900140

Samsung 850 Pro

Samsung 850 Evo

Corsair Neutron Series XT

For $119 I think the Corsair is a great choice.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/neutron-series-xt-240gb-sata-3-6gbps-ssd-cssd-n240gbxtb

These are good ssd choices,,it's hard to really call a better one tho

Im running a dual boot,2 raided Xt's and 2 raided Evo's and they each have their own preferred ratings...

Archived