Corsair Community

Vengeance v2100 Sidetone - Feature NEEDS to be added

CSTS

I picked up my v2100s in January and was disappointed that I couldn't hear myself speak whilst wearing the headset. This gets disconcerting to many of us when game sounds are playing and you're trying to use voice comms but can't hear how loud you're speaking. I posted and submitted a ticket on the issue and was informed that my headset sounded faulty. Great, I thought! RMA approved, spent another £14 for the insured postage of my headset. My brand new replacement arrived within a week. Overall, great - I'm thrilled that Corsair dealt with my ticket so fast and got my new headset out so fast. The problem is, the issue is still exactly the same - this is absolutely a software/driver issue.

I've spent long enough looking this up that I'm aware there's plenty of others with the same issue of not being able to turn up their sidetone. As has been stated by Corsair previously, the "volume" of the sidetone has been built in to some level that is apparently meant to mimic how loud you'd hear yourself talking normally. Problem is, it doesn't. If I pull the boom right in front of my mouth, yes, I can hear some slight sound when there are no other sounds playing through the headset speakers, though obviously this isn't where the mic is meant to be during normal use. The moment it's competing with music or game sounds during normal use with the boom where it should be, it's completely lost.

Corsair, PLEASE add the ability to adjust the sidetone volume. The G930 has this set up so that you can just adjust a setting in a config file where the sidetone is between 0-100 in volume.

This has been one really disappointing purchase and I really want to like my headset - but without this feature it's still unusable four months on from purchase.

You're seriously overreacting if the lack of a sidetone feature renders the entire headset worthless to you. And you're also exaggerating if you claim to not be able to hear a single thing when you speak unless you shove the mic in your mouth and nothing is playing in the headset.

I understand if you are annoyed that a feature that you would like doesn't exist and it COULD be implemented, but exaggerating about it isn't really the best way to go about getting it done. It's *NOT* a necessary feature (and I can say this as a G930 owner and current user until my 1500 v2 gets here) for use of a headset, or for use of knowing if you're talking or not. I understand you want to hear your own voice fed back into the headset, sure, but if it's this much of a big deal to you, then you're better off with a different product. Either a closed-ear headset with sidetone functionality like the G930 or an open-ear design headset.

You're seriously overreacting if the lack of a sidetone feature renders the entire headset worthless to you. And you're also exaggerating if you claim to not be able to hear a single thing when you speak unless you shove the mic in your mouth and nothing is playing in the headset.

I understand if you are annoyed that a feature that you would like doesn't exist and it COULD be implemented, but exaggerating about it isn't really the best way to go about getting it done. It's *NOT* a necessary feature (and I can say this as a G930 owner and current user until my 1500 v2 gets here) for use of a headset, or for use of knowing if you're talking or not. I understand you want to hear your own voice fed back into the headset, sure, but if it's this much of a big deal to you, then you're better off with a different product. Either a closed-ear headset with sidetone functionality like the G930 or an open-ear design headset.

Im going to have to disagree wholeheartedly with this post. I actually found this post because the G930 resets sidetone if it disconnects, and no side tone at all in linux. Headset with a closed cup MOST have side tone. Its built into windows for 3.5mm, aviation headsets use it, logitech uses it (badly). I would really love to replace these G930s with a set from corsair, but I wouldn't drop this kinda coin on a headset that doesn't have a simple loop feature.

Im going to have to disagree wholeheartedly with this post. I actually found this post because the G930 resets sidetone if it disconnects, and no side tone at all in linux. Headset with a closed cup MOST have side tone. Its built into windows for 3.5mm, aviation headsets use it, logitech uses it (badly). I would really love to replace these G930s with a set from corsair, but I wouldn't drop this kinda coin on a headset that doesn't have a simple loop feature.

My actual point about him not being able to hear himself was that I *CAN* hear myself with my G930 with sidetone all the way off. It *DOES* block out quite a bit of sound, but not so much that you don't hear helicopter or fireworks etc like some people wish to report. The point still stands, he's overexaggerating on how much he is incapable of hearing himself. It IS more difficult to tell how loud you speak without a sidetone feature, yes. No arguements there. But you eventually learn (with a short time too) how loud you actually are. Especially if you talk for a bit with one earcup off till you get a feel for your volume, then you don't need the "feature".

Not being able to hear your voice fed back through the speakers as you talk is very disconcerting to some - to me, this renders the headset unusable if I want to use it as an actual headset. As far as I can tell you don't actually have a set of V2100s? I don't know that it's an issue with other corsair headsets, just that it's prevalent with the 2100 - without the sidetone, I find it uncomfortable to use. As my original post said, yes, there is some sidetone - but I can only hear it in the manner I described it. Your assumptions as to my situation being an exaggeration aren't helpful or appreciated.

Previous headsets have had the option of adjusting the sidetone, allowing me to hear myself without being drowned out by whatever is playing at the time. Granted those were wired and the settings were all in windows, whereas with the wireless V2100 it seems the sound drivers limit what you can do with it.

Being better off with a different product is an amazing point - except for the fact I've already spent this much on the CURRENT headset, I can't afford to double that cost. I'm using the very old wired headset I'd bought the vengeance to replace right now.

Even having read around before buying the Vengance v2100s, all I'd heard was the previous version (Vengeance 2000) having a sidetone that is too loud for people but adjustable - I'd found nothing to lead me to believe it wouldn't be there for the 2100.

What I can't understand is that the V2000 had a volume control for it, it seems weird to remove that. All I've managed to do to try and fix this is turning on the listen to device in windows settings, but the delay it causes when trying to hold a conversation is pretty offputting.

The way you made your first post and the tone that was carried across by reading it were one of utter disgust at the lack of said feature and such, however demanding the whole ordeal be fixed because you deem this a necessary feature in a headset (which, to my knowledge, was not advertised to contain any such feature) is a whole other level. I do not have a vengeance 2100. I have a G930, and I use it with sidetone off. I, and MANY other people who I have let try the headset, have been able to hear ourselves (albeit more muffled than with the feature turned on) when using it, and have been able to know the difference between shouting or not. I and the dozen or so people that have used my headset are all not you, yes, however it is impossible for a headset to drown out your own voice unless you're listening to things are dangerously high levels. The G930 is a loud headset. There are some songs/videos that LITERALLY make my headset vibrate on my head if I listen to them at maximum volume. When that is happening, I can't hear myself. But that's the same as walking into a rave where music is blasting at you from all directions and you can't hear a thing. If that's what you're listening to audio at, that's dangerous as hell for your ears. Otherwise, you should easily be able to tell if you're talking or not and have a decent idea of your volume, far less knowing if you are actually shouting or not.

Secondly, I COMPLETELY understand saving up and sinking a chunk of money that you otherwise may not have into a headset that is not feature complete to you or that does not do what you want. I will forever hate the plantronics headset that I bought a few years ago, which only benefit was that it could get very loud. The mic picked up way too many background things and did not make my voice very clear and the headset would adjust its own volume randomly and I would constantly have to fiddle with the circular volume slider. After doing that, I simply sank a ridiculous amount of research into whatever I buy. But the thing remains, if a certain feature is wanted by you that badly, then you should look for things you know would give this to you, or go around asking people who have them if they work as you would like. While it may not be perfect to you, you could likely sell it as a near-new condition headset and simply buy another, without simply doubling the cost you sunk into the headset for a different type.

It is absolutely worthy of this level of concern, and Corsair's obvious indifference paints a poor picture of both their responsiveness and awareness of product performance.

Circumaural headphones must have adjustable loopback that I can actually hear. Period.

It is absolutely worthy of this level of concern, and Corsair's obvious indifference paints a poor picture of both their responsiveness and awareness of product performance.

Circumaural headphones must have adjustable loopback that I can actually hear. Period.

This is YOUR OPINION and something you personally want in a headset. This is *NOT* something that is necessary for every person and every headset out there. If you treat it as fact or as enough that a headset which is otherwise perfectly working yet lacking this feature is broken, worthless or otherwise unusable to anyone other than yourself, you're speaking in the wrong tone and nobody is likely to take you seriously unless they share the same sentiments... which is probably exactly why you are agreeing with the OP.

Both of you seem to find the feature integral to your usage of headsets. Either your hearing isn't good and you can't hear yourselves or you play everything at such a massive volume that you literally drown yourselves out. I don't know. I do know that the "airplane blocking out" G930 (which I still own) and my new vengeance 1500 v2s (with sidetone off on both headsets) have STILL let me hear myself quite clearly even in the midst of continuous explosions and gunfire, or music and voip or whatever else there was being played. The only time I could not hear myself was when I opened something (like a video) which begins at full volume where I need it closer to the minimum volume to hear it normally and my headset basically almost vibrates because of the high volume. And like I said in an above post, if you're listening to things at this level of volume, you're either partially deaf or you WILL damage your ears in a fairly short space of time.

And the thing I say to both of you is that if you KNOW something was so important, you should have researched what you were getting before you got it. It's one thing to just ask what's a good sounding headset and jump into it, but if you know you wanted that feature so badly, didn't research these headsets, got this, don't want to return or sell to someone else and get something else that has the feature (like a G930), then come complaining that because they haven't added in a feature that maybe 5% of headset users feel they need that they suck, don't listen to what you say, don't care, or have terrible support/caring for their customers? That's not cool or fair. It's not to say that your entire microphone is totally broken and doesn't broadcast to anyone or something and that they refuse to replace it. THAT would be something serious I could understand. Or if the 7.1 feature (touted feature, I might add) didn't work at all. I could understand that too. But sidetone? Nope.

This is YOUR OPINION and something you personally want in a headset. This is *NOT* something that is necessary for every person and every headset out there.

If every product was designed to the minimum requirement from the widest possible range of customers, the world of consumer products would really suck. (I need a car, but I only need it to drive 20 miles at a time!)

This is billed as a gaming headset. Gaming involves loud noises and talking to teammates. (Hence the need for a headset.) It is also billed as a circumaural headset, which is designed to reduce exterior noise. If those two are combined, the user will likely not hear their own voice, which makes speaking normally very difficult. This subject has come up on this forum tens of times in multiple threads, verifying the importance to many users. This is not just an opinion, this is what we call logic. Honestly, you seem to be awfully engaged in this topic for someone with nothing at stake and nothing productive to contribute.

I maintain my stand... Corsair needs to address this problem with a software update to be close to industry standard features, and until that happens I will continue to warn fellow gamers about Corsair's lack of interest in this type of issue and their continued lackadaisical approach to software.

• 3 months later...

I have had my Corsair Vengeance 2010 for 3 days now. It is a great headset but as has been quoted previously, Sidetone is not an option it is a requirement for this type of Headset.

Without some sidetone it is similar to talking with your fingers in your ears. Not Comfortable. I can hear my breathing but not my own voice? Come on!!

............Oh and "Opinions" are individual, like them or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived