Corsair Community

Surge suppressor/protectors and power conditioner/regulator

nstgc

While I know that this sort of thing is ussualy handled by the PSU (surge protection isn't, but I believe Corsair's PSUs cover the others), I've been thinking about getting something to help clean up the power. Maybe thats the problem I've been having with power supplies. Its impracticle to run an extension cable from a bathroom to my computer so i'm looking for some other alternative. Will something like this give me a clean stable power feed even if my ground is not so good (or even just for show)? Are there any other products you may suggest?

[edit] In other words -- any suggestions on products that will ensure that the power entering my PSU is a nice healthy/happy sine wave and make up for a possible poor ground?

All that unit can do is give you a constant voltage eliminating surges and "noise". If the outlet isn't grounded proper that it is plugged into you defeat the purpose. The only way to fix a ground issue is to hire an electrician to ground it properly for you.

any suggestions on products that will ensure that the power entering my PSU is a nice healthy/happy sine wave and make up for a possible poor ground?
Any AC mains 'cleaning' will be completely undone by what is already inside the Corsair. Due to superior protection already inside every PSU, then 'dirtiest' power even from a UPS in battery backup mode is made irrelevant.

For example, a sine wave output from my 120 volt UPS is a 200 volt square wave with a spike of up to 270 volts between those square waves. Power that may be harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. And ideal power for all electronics due to circuits already inside all power supplies.

Another example. What does a PSU do to that power? First converts it to voltages well exceeding 300 volts. Then converts it to high voltage radio waves (spikes). Then eventually converts that much 'dirtier' power to the rock solid clean DC on its output.

Why do you need clean power? A PSU makes that power 'dirtier'. Then converts that to 'cleanest' power. A PSU's job is to make 'dirtiest' power irrelevant. Some consumers buy even better supplies.

Manufacturers, hyping high profit solutions, simply forget to mention what all PSUs are supposed to do.

I am aware that the PSU's already going to clean up the source (if you bothered to read my post in its entirety you would have seen that), however it is still effected by brown outs, and I'm not sure if the ground is good. I know there are devices which can compansate for both.

... however it is still effected by brown outs, and I'm not sure if the ground is good.
There are devices that can compensate for both. And those 'devices' are inside a power supply.

For example, your brownout is a subjective claim. You did not quantify it. So a popular urban myth is assumed. How often are your incandescent bulbs dimming to less than 40% intensity? All properly constructed computers must work uninterrupted even when incandescent bulbs are at 40% intensity. Why? Another function required to be inside every computer power supply. That even existed inside the original IBM PC.

Grounds do not cause computer problems. A receptacle safety ground is first and foremost for human safety. Does nothing to 'clean up power'. But again, what are you trying to cure?

That APC has only one function. To provide temporary and 'dirty' power during a blackout. It does not even claim to 'clean power'. In fact, it outputs the 'dirtiest' power a computer might see. What are you trying to solve?

Bad diagnostic procedure is to recommend solutions when a problem is not first defined. Posted was some subjective assumption about power supply problems. The actual failure and hard symptoms not provided. A posts that was only subjective. Always important numbers were not provided. An assumption that an APC will magically solve all possible anomalies is not even found in APC specifications.

Posted was why you have no reason to believe that APC will do anything useful. It was the best reply for your every sentence. Now, if you want solutions, first provide hard facts and numbers. For example, what are voltages from six important PSU wires? What does the manufacturer's comprehensive hardware diagnostic report? What specific component failed in the power system - which is more than just a PSU? Questions that might be asked only after a problem is first defined.

From your posts are zero reasons to suspect brownouts or bad grounds. Not posted is why you believe power supplies are failing. Both problems were made irrelevant even in the original IBM PC. What are you trying to solve - and why?

All that unit can do is give you a constant voltage eliminating surges and "noise". If the outlet isn't grounded proper that it is plugged into you defeat the purpose.
That APC does not even claim to eliminate destructive surges. APC can even create more noise as quantified in a previous post. Noise to a 120 volt computer is 200 volt square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts. Ideal power for all computers due to circuits already required to be inside its power supply.

Assume a wall receptacle is two wire. How do we power a three wire computer via that two wire circuit? Code is clear. Replace the two wire receptacle with a GFCI. Now the computer is plugged into a three prong outlet. And no safety ground exists. No problem. All computer must work just fine via that GFCI without ground. Again, safety ground is for human safety. A missing safety ground does not harm or crash a computer.

Code is quite specific. It even says what a label on that GFCI must read, "No Equipment Ground".

But again, long before a problem can be solved, first it must be identified. The actual problem has yet to be identified.

That APC does not even claim to eliminate destructive surges. APC can even create more noise as quantified in a previous post. Noise to a 120 volt computer is 200 volt square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts. Ideal power for all computers due to circuits already required to be inside its power supply.

Assume a wall receptacle is two wire. How do we power a three wire computer via that two wire circuit? Code is clear. Replace the two wire receptacle with a GFCI. Now the computer is plugged into a three prong outlet. And no safety ground exists. No problem. All computer must work just fine via that GFCI without ground. Again, safety ground is for human safety. A missing safety ground does not harm or crash a computer.

Code is quite specific. It even says what a label on that GFCI must read, "No Equipment Ground".

But again, long before a problem can be solved, first it must be identified. The actual problem has yet to be identified.

I agree 100 percent. All i was saying is that a bad ground or lack there of can not be "fixed" by plugging in any device into that wall socket.

• 2 weeks later...
If it wasn't such a big deal, then why is it that I was told to make sure I had a good ground when I was complaining about funny noises?

i worked for 22 years in industrial construction and asked a few of my electrician buddies of mine about this and this......

safety ground is for human safety. A missing safety ground does not harm or crash a computer.

This is true, it wont harm or cause a crash, but most certainly can cause buzzing or other noises especially with todays ever increasingly sensitive electronics.

Going back to the original topic it is also true that that there are no devices that you can plug into or can take the place / fix a missing/properly grounded outlet except for having one installed by an electrician.

Archived