Corsair Community

Need help selecting a gaming mouse

berlin88

I am looking to upgrade my generic mouse to a gaming mouse.

Any recommendations on what gaming mouse I should get, or what features I should be looking for? I don't need anything super fancy, so maybe a mid range gaming mouse would work.

I play a variety of PC games like StarCraft 2, Skyrim, Civilization VI, Battlefield 1, Diablo 2 etc.

The Corsair Glaive, M65 and Sabre all appear to be roughly the same price, and are currently about $50 if purchased online. I am also open to other suggestions, but don't want to break the bank by buying something real expensive.

Reliability is also worth considering, since I would prefer something that doesn't fail on me less than a year after getting it.

I suppose if I get a Corsair mouse, I should also get the Corsair MM800 Polaris gaming mouse pad.

For starters:

1) Wireless or wired?

2) How many side buttons you need?

3) How big are your hands?

4) What kind of grip do you use?

To answer your questions:

1. I have no real preference between a wired or wireless gaming mouse. I currently use a wireless mouse, but its just a cheap generic one.

2. Number of side buttons are not a big deal, since I am used to my current mouse not having any.

I have not previously owned a dedicated gaming mouse, so I am trying to get a general idea of what I should be looking for when selecting a gaming mouse.

3. My hands are not overly large, so I don't need a huge mouse.

To answer your questions:

1. I have no real preference between a wired or wireless gaming mouse. I currently use a wireless mouse, but its just a cheap generic one.

2. Number of side buttons are not a big deal, since I am used to my current mouse not having any.

I have not previously owned a dedicated gaming mouse, so I am trying to get a general idea of what I should be looking for when selecting a gaming mouse.

3. My hands are not overly large, so I don't need a huge mouse.

My vote would be Corsair Glaive [ame]

[/ame]

I am owner of a Scimitar Pro but i really needed all those extra keys, quality of life improvement, but if i wouldnt need them, the Corsair Glaive would be my choice, no doubts!

I would say the Glaive and M65 are a step up over the Sabre, but really it comes down to comfort and utility.

The Glaive is larger than the M65 Pro/RGB, so possibly more comfortable for big hands or palm grip.

The M65 Pro is very good for the finger grip/pinch style, but also possibly for small hands.

The Glaive has two large, definitive clicking side buttons. Possibly advantageous if you use these a lot in game. The M65 has these as well, but they are smaller and closer together. Still quite usable, but might be hand position dependent.

The Glaive will always have the blue DPI indicator shown in the picture above. The M65 can be set to any color or off.

Middle scroll wheel probably more comfortable on the Glaive and certainly if you do a lot of middle clicks. M65 pro certainly functional, but requires more precision.

M65 has the side "sniper button". I love it and always reprogram it to be a key action (dodge, cover, etc). However, some people will never be comfortable with their thumb resting on it. The Glaive does not have a corresponding button, so that is one less available for programming.

I would say the Glaive and M65 are a step up over the Sabre, but really it comes down to comfort and utility.

The Glaive is larger than the M65 Pro/RGB, so possibly more comfortable for big hands or palm grip.

The M65 Pro is very good for the finger grip/pinch style, but also possibly for small hands.

The Glaive has two large, definitive clicking side buttons. Possibly advantageous if you use these a lot in game. The M65 has these as well, but they are smaller and closer together. Still quite usable, but might be hand position dependent.

The Glaive will always have the blue DPI indicator shown in the picture above. The M65 can be set to any color or off.

Middle scroll wheel probably more comfortable on the Glaive and certainly if you do a lot of middle clicks. M65 pro certainly functional, but requires more precision.

M65 has the side "sniper button". I love it and always reprogram it to be a key action (dodge, cover, etc). However, some people will never be comfortable with their thumb resting on it. The Glaive does not have a corresponding button, so that is one less available for programming.

It looks like the Corsair Glaive RGB is the way to go then.

Should I wait to see if this mouse goes on sale? (like a Black Friday deal) Or should I just go ahead and buy it now, for $50 + tax? The Aluminum colored version is $60, while the black color version is $50.

Additionally, does anyone have any opinions on the Corsair MM800 Polaris mouse pad? Should I spend the money to get one of these? Which version of the MM800 mouse pad would you recommend?

I have both. If you'd like, here are my thoughts:

M65 Pro:

I love this mouse. I really do. The adjustable weight is cool and I've got it just where I like it. I like that the DPI goes up and down - not just cycles. The sniper button is useful when I need precise work done but I don't use it in games as a sniper button. I'll map it to something else. My only gripe is that the forward button is a bit tough for me to get but I think that's due to my freakishly small hands and fingertip grip.

Glaive:

I really, really like this mouse too. It has a good feel but it's missing the weight adjustment and the sniper button of the M65 Pro. However, it's far easier for me to hit the forward button on this mouse - I have no issues with that. Also, DPI adjustment cycles (rather than going up an down) and I've found it easy to accidentally hit the DPI button. That said, it's an excellent mouse and is my "on the road" mouse (whereas the M65 is my "at home" mouse).

I think $50 is probably as low as you will routinely see. Every now and then when someone is trying to dump inventory you might see the M65 Pro for $40 or $45, but it seems silly to wait indefinitely for that small savings.

The MM800 is a bit hit or miss with people. I had the hard originally, but it was way too slick for me. Sometime later I picked up the cloth 800C version and liked it immensely better. However, the usb passthrough on top still snags the cord all the time. It’s also pretty much a luxury toy for when you have everything else. It matches the RGB strip on the top of my keyboard. If you are on a budget, this should probably not make your priority list. You can get a decent mousepad for 1/4th the price. I just put mine away and went back to my XXL wide desk mat. Both the expanse and lack of lighting are a relief.

I ended up getting the Dark Core RGB SE Gaming mouse, instead of the Glaive RGB. I was all set to go with the wired RGB Glaive, but made a last minute switch to the Dark Core RGB SE.

My brand new mouse is now sitting in the box on my desk, waiting to be opened and set up.

With that said, I now need some suggestions on what mouse pad to use with my Dark Core RGB SE mouse. Would the Polaris MM800 RGB be a decent choice? Or is there some other option that would be better? I know there is a special m1000 mouse pad, but its like $70.

Well, with the wireless the Dark Core the rather annoying top USB port will no longer grab the cord on every pass, eliminating the biggest complaint about it. The surface is certainly decent and I like that aspect of my cloth MM800C. However, the price ranges from $40-60 USD and if you are in between keyboards I think that money is better spent on the board. While a bad mouse pad might take the fun out of things, the difference between a $50 and $15 pad will not alter your world. The MM800 is a decorative item for people that have everything or simply need additional lighting because they live in a dark room.

Archived