Corsair Community

800D needs SATA 3 hot swap...

529th

I am considering a C300 SATA III SSD card for my 800D to use in my hot swap bay. I just read on New Egg that the hot swap bay is SATA II.

It looks like the parts can be updated for the hot swap bays.

Corsair, will yo be making replacement parts for the SATA II brackets so we can update them to SATA III

Thanks,

529th

• Corsair Employee
Currently the hot swap backplanes would not be compatible with SATA III. Unfortunately I have not heard of any plans to update the backplanes. You can still use the drives in the hot swap bays, but you may need to remove the backplane, making a hotswap a little less convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

I just designed "2" liquid cooled i7-980X computers (totaling $9,600) using this chassis, but now I'm holding until I get more info from Corsair on this; or until I become impatient and go with the Thermaltake Armor + LCS or another instead. I already bought the CPUs too... so I don't think I will be able to last that long...

Is there any ballpark time frame? I would have to assume that its in the works, so could you atleast guesstimate for us... 1 month, 3 months, never...?

I just designed "2" liquid cooled i7-980X computers (totaling $9,600) using this chassis, but now I'm holding until I get more info from Corsair on this; or until I become impatient and go with the Thermaltake Armor + LCS or another instead. I already bought the CPUs too... so I don't think I will be able to last that long...

Is there any ballpark time frame? I would have to assume that its in the works, so could you atleast guesstimate for us... 1 month, 3 months, never...?

Hey, binary guy. I can sympathize with your request for information, but no vendor can give you that sort of information, at least no responsible employee would do that. There is nothing worse from a business viewpoint than "pre-announcing" a product. Great way to (1) dry up sales of the existing product and (2) tip off the competition.

There is even a term for this sort of thing: "Osborne effect" :D: Look it up on Google. Hate to say that I remember when this happened.:roll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Here's the deal. If I'm going to plop down $300.00 for a case I want it to last for like five years. For the most part the 800D is pretty much future proof. The exception here is the backplane. This is a red flag and I won't buy until it is addressed.

• 1 month later...
Sata III is here and there needs to be a way to update these backplanes at a nominal cost. I too plan to keep this case for quiet some time and I already have the need for SATA III with a SSD. For now I will mount it in the lower bays. NOT a good decision not to support SATA III.

Add me to the list of 800D owners both ready and willing to shell over some cash for some SATAIII compatible backplane replacements.

I'm not looking for a handout guys, I realize the costs involved. I'm quite willing to pay for upgraded backplanes as an optional replacement item.

Here's the deal. If I'm going to plop down $300.00 for a case I want it to last for like five years. For the most part the 800D is pretty much future proof. The exception here is the backplane. This is a red flag and I won't buy until it is addressed.

I agree, if one does a purchase of $300-$400 case one would like it to last for a few years.

I also just want to add, USB 3.0 ports. Currently the 700/800D cases have USB 2.0 ports in the front not 3.0 ports.

I would like if it would be possible to buy an "upgraded" front part for USB 3.0

I recon with Sata III and USB 3, the two cases = WIN

I agree. This case is missing Sata 3 and USB 3.

Its too bad though because it's going to be short lived when Sata 3 and USB 3 really start reaching mainstream. USB 3 way before that. But, Sata 3 will be there.

It's too bad too because I would definitely put $300 down on this case if it werent for that.

It is a great case even with the backplane limitation. I'm confident Corsair will work something out on that for us. In the meantime I can install the SATA III drives in the lower hard drive cage.

• 11 months later...
It is a great case even with the backplane limitation. I'm confident Corsair will work something out on that for us. In the meantime I can install the SATA III drives in the lower hard drive cage.

i was "lucky" i guess , my case shiped with the new hotswap backplate.

But i still can't figure out what was the problem with the old one?

The cables didn't change, the connectors didn't change,same power connector, only the interface changed...(mobo's job anyway...)

What could have been the problem connectig the cables from the hot swap backplate to the mobo's sata3 data connectors?

maybe i don't understand exactly what a "hot swap" is...tehnicaly.

what was done differently this time with the new back plate?

Except the physical differences...

• Corsair Employee
All of the cases manufactured since about December of last year will be USB3 and S-ATA3 compatible, if you have an older case you can order the upgrade kit form the on-line store off of the web site.

Archived