Corsair Community

P256 SSD Issue with Lenovo T400

2L82XLR8

Installed my P256 a few weeks ago on my Lenovo T400 (7417-CTO)...I LOVE IT!...Just one Cruel problem...

When I start it up, the system reboots after POST. Sometimes it will reboot up to 6 times before it finally starts the drive up. No blue screens, just the lenovo screen in the beginning, then a cursor in the uper left hand side, then it shuts off, and restarts again.

NOW - if I go into BIOS on startup, and exit without saving, the system restarts, and ONLY then, will the Hard Drive start, and Im on my way to SSD shangrila...

Has anyone had this problem? The problem also affects my Power saving states...I cant use standby or else it gives me a beeping sound when I wake it up. Hibernate takes me to the earlier problem, and I resolve it with the Bios Trick I use.

If anyone has the same problem with their T400 using the P256 SSD, Please let me know.

I tried putting the AHCI in compatability mode, and it gave me a BSOD, but I fixed that by reloading Restore discs in that mode, but everything slows down to half the speed that it was in AHCI Mode. I hope there is a fix for this without sacrificing The Drive's Speed. Im currently using it in AHCI Mode, and doing the Bios Trick to start it up...PLEASE HELP!

• Corsair Employee
From what you posted I would try and do the Install or restore with the HDD set to IDE Mode and then make sure all of the drivers are up to date and see if the system will run and Boot properly.

• 1 month later...

I also have a Lenovo T400 and I've experienced a very similar problem. Sadly Amazon and Newegg are OOS on the P256 & P128 so I can't replicate your exact config but I can come close. For me, the solution was to downgrade to the 1.20 BIOS (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=mobiles/7uuj07uc.iso) otherwise I usually can't resume (lots of beeps most of the time). It also cut my crazy BIOS rebooting down to one or two tops (although my max was three or four).

Good luck!

Wowy

EDIT: This is with AHCI mode and a WD Caviar Blue 500GB. Newegg seems to have gotten more P128 drives so I should have one tomorrow to test.

• Corsair Employee
If you are having problems with a standard HDD I would not suggest that you image to a SSD drive as you will likely have more problems. From what you have posted I would send the system back to the manufacturer and have them fix it so it runs properly before you upgrade to an SSD.

An excellent suggestion, ram_guy. :-)

I did some searching on Lenovo's forums and it seems the beep code I have (one short, three long, three long, one short or 1-3-3-1) indicates either memory or the motherboard. As I reseated the RAM and ran memtest for a few hours without issue and the suspend/rebooting problems persist, I'm going to guess it's the motherboard. Time to put my extended warranty to good use.

Thanks again for the advice ram_guy! I don't know why I didn't do this earlier...

Wowy

Archived