Corsair Community

H50 cpu cooler SHOULD I BUY IT?

a0krn

Hey i know this is a silly question that many have already asked. But should i get the H50 cpu cooler over Air?

I am a somewhat gamer and wants a silent case. Ive been doing some research on all air/water coolers. But i am very new to water cooling. NEVER HAD EXPERIENCE. and this product fits my needs. /Silent/cool/clean installation/no maintains!

However since its my first time with water cooling. I am AFRAID it might leak. I plan to use it only for 2 years or so since better cpu coolers will come. But if it leaks what will happen to my system? i know it uses distill water but should i really be afraid? If it does leak what are my options? and my temps right now are 23 C to 30C idle and 44c - 55c full load. core i5 750 stock voltage no overclock 2.66. So my struggles is mainly with the chances of leaks!

Ive heard a very few reports of leaks and corsair replacing their ruined mobo.

but i know its not official warranty. or is it? or i might just wait for the upcoming new water cooling product from corsair?! from my sources.

But Thanks for taking your time to read my worries and hope to really just throw cash at corsair and take their amazing h50 product.

ok so i tell the story my perspective on 11 march 2010 i bought a h50 brand new!pump runnig ok but my temps on i7 920 were Fk-up..........to high on stock clocks idle i don't know what to say....it's your choice....you cold be a happy case or a bad case like me......others have great temp other not.....

the odds of an H50 leaking are less that being struck by lightning. (over 400 people per year are struck by lightning.)

as far as temps... any water cooling enthusiast should know that sometimes it takes up to 3 or 4 re mountings to get the best temps from a water block.

/.02

I like the H50 it drops my Temps 10 Degs. on my quad core and OC to 3.6--idel 37/37/35/34

IBT test 40 time pass and max out temps 58/61/61/57

I also like the idea not haveing a big *** heat sink hanging on my M/B!!

In gameing I never go over 45deg. max out.Remenber the H50 is a cheap mans water cooler but works for me and even the $300.00 water cooler leaks At times.

well i don't mind the hot temps since mine is only stock core i5. on air i get decent temps but the 400 people who got leaks were they the newer versions? or the older versions? since corsair improved on the h50 there's two types of version right? xD and since its using distill water if it leaks it wouldn't fry my component would it?

******** is god tier! this peasant h50 is utterly weaksauce and for the performance to have water near your system... that's ultra peasant tier. the only good thing about this is that it's compact. other than that it's loud, because the fans you have to make it work nice are very noisy.

Axenn and plee39 are having issues with their H50s so please consider that when reading their posts. I'm not saying they aren't having issues, but they are not having typical issues for H50 users.

There have not been 400 people with leaks, slow down and read his post again. There have been 3 or 4 reported leaks on this forum, and at least 2 of them were clearly mishandling somewhere in the process. And there is only one version of the H50, the 2 different model numbers refrence what mounting brackets are packed in, nothing more.

The H50 works great if your case has proper air flow and you mount it correctly. And no, having lots of fans does not mean you have good air flow. Tons of mesh all over the front and side of your case does not mean you have good air flow. It might mean you have lots of air moving around, but if it's collecting in odd areas of the case and creating hot spots, you have poor air flow.

ok first the h50 is mounted verry properly........ariflow is VG 3 fansx120mm in the front blowing cool air from outside 1 in the back that pulls out and 1 that is mounted the h5 as an intake from outside the case and 1x200 mm that pull's out air from outside the case ......and i didn't say anything about leaks.....my primary concern si the H50 TEMPS.....

He's asking for how we feel about this product, our points are valid. If you tell me that the ******** has higher temps on H50 you should do some research. There's a video on youtube where a guy compares the H50 to the ******** and the ******** rocked the sock out of the H50. don't waste your money on a product that cost the same as the ******** but requires upgrading the fans and buying another fan just to perform under the performance of the ******** since it comes with 2 fans stock. GG son, there's no comparison. Go hit up NCIX and you'll see that the H50 and ******** cost the same.

bobcb you can assume all you want, but i felt every inch and corner of my PC case and there are no heat spots. If i leave it as the stock configuration my temps are in the high 70's and my case has the same form factor as their test system when shown on youtube. so if you're telling me that my extra fans are useless and counter-productive you should think again. people should research before they claim what's wrong with people's setup by looking at the their PC specs instead of treating every issue like an issue from before. stop telling people to add a push/pull config or drop a few extra bucks for better fans just to get a decent temp when corsair advertised it with only 1 fan yielding better results. no offense, just my 2 pennies.

Rule # 4: Please use full and complete sentences when going through the troubleshooting process.

Rule # 9: No discussion of competitors.

Having said that, the video in question was in a custom case, and that's a pretty big honkin' heatsink. Interesting design, and I'd like to see it in a heads up competition versus a wide variety of heatsinks, but ultimately each heatsink has its pros and cons in different situations.

Let's stay on topic folks :)

bobcb: Nailed it on the head.

• Corsair Employee

The H-50 does exactly what it was designed to do and works extremely well, see the reviews for more unbiased information.

Either plee39 had a problem with the unit it self or there was some other issue and if he would like to work through that we would be happy to help but he needs to start his own thread and follow the rules of the forum. 4 or 5 people having problems out of more the 400K units is not something I would worry about to much a few failures are to be expected. And any time you put water or any conductive liquid substance around electronics some attention to detail and common sense is required or you will end up with problems.

I have went through a lot of reviews on the h50 and when i saw the temps it got I was very interested in the product. They yield great temps with just a single fan and I heard lots about push/pull and higher end fans to increase that preformance, but when I installed the product and used the push/pull configuration it has failed to meet the stock configuration of reviews or even the video put up by corsair themselves. I followed the how to install guild by the guy from corsair. It's annoying when people come up to you and assume you have installed it wrong.. I have made threads with no solution to my problem.

Thanks for the advice. Weird how a lot of people dont like h50 and that a lot of people do like h50.

But i like the fact that its for people like me too who don't know anything about water cooling.

I think im going to buy it and try it out, I just hope theirs no leaks. And I am always careful in reading instructions and researching before buying anything.

If it leaks and damages some of my parts its not under warranty for corsair correct? except for the water cooling itself? and i heard if it does leak you can just turn off your computer and dry the water and hope it works?

Thanks for taking your time to help me on this.

bobcb you can assume all you want, but i felt every inch and corner of my PC case and there are no heat spots. If i leave it as the stock configuration my temps are in the high 70's and my case has the same form factor as their test system when shown on youtube. so if you're telling me that my extra fans are useless and counter-productive you should think again. people should research before they claim what's wrong with people's setup by looking at the their PC specs instead of treating every issue like an issue from before. stop telling people to add a push/pull config or drop a few extra bucks for better fans just to get a decent temp when corsair advertised it with only 1 fan yielding better results. no offense, just my 2 pennies.

I never told you to use push/pull or buy more expensive fans, that defeates the whole purpose of the H50 for me. I wanted a compact, effective cooler and didn't want to spend any than I absolutely had too. For the record I use the stock, recomended Corsair configuration with the original fan pulling air into the case. I have only my top exhaust fan, albeit a 200mm top exhaust fan and I get better temps than I expected. That is it, one 120mm Corsair fan acting as an intake blowing into the radiator and one 200mm exhaust fan up top, and I idle at ambient temp and load 44-47c witha mild overclock. So either you have a bad H50, have installed it wrong or your air flow is a mess.

I'll say it again, just because you have a bunch of fans does not mean you have good air flow. And you can't "feel" every inch and corner of your PC for hot spots, that means the side panel is off and any sembalance of "air flow" is gone or you are groping the oustide of the case and you really don't understand what I'm talking about. I can look at your specs and treat your PC like any other, there is nothing magic going on and unless you have a completely custom case (in which case air flow debates go out the door) all of this stuff works the same. Air flow is not air volume.

I felt the metal and air right after shut down to feel every inch and corner for warmth, but nope it's all really cool and my case has a lot of holes to allow trapped air to escape, everywhere else has fans blowing air in or out and as i said my temps are better with more fans than without. Also I didn't say you specifically telling me to buy extra stuff, but the suggestions of other people on forums and even in this forum. I'm gonna reapply the AS5 one last time and wait for the curing period to due the test one last time. Using the Line or Pea method this time.

Your hands are not sensitive enough to tell anything about air temps plee, you need temp probes to really do the job. I'd also suggest you really carefully check your mounting, take a look at the heat spreader on your CPU and make sure it isn't a little concave (not uncommon and leads to a variety of coolers not making good contact). I'd try the line method with this cooler, but a short, thin line and make sure you really clean the old stuff off completely from both surfaces.

If you are running the H50 fan as an intake you need to take one of your other case fans and flip it around and use it as an exhaust. And if you have 2 rear case fans make sure the fan below the the H50 intake is not an exhaust, warm air rises and you'll be cooling your radiator with already warm air. Same if you have a really hot video card that dumps the air out he rear of the case, I think that is why some people have better luck with push/pull as it offsets some of this warm exhaust from hotter running video cards that completly duct out the back.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you have an Asus Dark Knight card, those don't dump mass quantities out the back. And I see you have a Lancool K-62, not saying this means anything to your set up but I had a Lancool K-60 and dumped it because I could never cut down on the noise or get the cooling balance just right. The K-62 does have top mounted exhaust that the K-60 lacks, but the stock fans really were not up to snuff. This is why I keep saying having lots of fans does not always help. The air flow design of that case is really not as great as it seems, you will probably have to play with fan configuration to make it work right.

I have Noctua 14flx as upgrade to replaces those stock fans. and they have great static pressure and cfm. My case is running very cool. I use the 2 stage arctic cleaner and as5. i used the line method and added some extra dots right above the cpu cores. so far my temps dropped about 3C~ so maybe it might have a hope, but still nowhere near how corsair advertised it.

Archived