Corsair Community

Psu makes popping noise when i switch it on

EdinPC

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well.

I built my very first PC a couple of years back, and it was powered by a Corsair RM650x. However, after about a year of using the PC, when I switched the extension block on, the Corsair PSU would make like a crackling/pop noise. And sometimes, flashes of light, as if the PSU was arching.

I naively just carried on with things because I didn't have the time to do any investigating. However, inevitability, a few weeks later - my computer would not turn on.

Since then, I have used the RMA service to receive a brand new RM650x from Corsair and I purchased a brand new surge protected Belkin extension block. However, about another year or so later, I am now starting to have the exact same problem all over again...

The Belkin extension block is plugged into the wall, behind my desk (socket is hard to reach, so it is left always on), however the extension block itself has its own switch. This gets switched off every time I am finished using my PC. However, when I come back to use my PC the next time and switch the extension block back on, I get this crackling/popping noise coming from like the back of the PSU, and sometimes a little arch - like flash of light (exact same as last time).

This only tends to happen when I switch the extension block off and then come back like a day or so later (can PSU's build up electric or something when turned off for a day? In the capacitors?)

I'm sorry I don't have very good knowledge of electronics so any help you could give me would be massively appreciated.

Regards,

Oli.

Why do you turn the power strip on and off?

Why not leave it on?

Well plugged into the powerstrip is 4 things - my PC, monitor, desktop speakers and some LED strip lights.

I just thought that leaving the powerstrip on all the time (and thus all these devices on "standby" would use some power and therefore money)? Is this not correct?

Regards,

Oli.

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well.

I built my very first PC a couple of years back, and it was powered by a Corsair RM650x. However, after about a year of using the PC, when I switched the extension block on, the Corsair PSU would make like a crackling/pop noise. And sometimes, flashes of light, as if the PSU was arching.

I naively just carried on with things because I didn't have the time to do any investigating. However, inevitability, a few weeks later - my computer would not turn on.

Since then, I have used the RMA service to receive a brand new RM650x from Corsair and I purchased a brand new surge protected Belkin extension block. However, about another year or so later, I am now starting to have the exact same problem all over again...

The Belkin extension block is plugged into the wall, behind my desk (socket is hard to reach, so it is left always on), however the extension block itself has its own switch. This gets switched off every time I am finished using my PC. However, when I come back to use my PC the next time and switch the extension block back on, I get this crackling/popping noise coming from like the back of the PSU, and sometimes a little arch - like flash of light (exact same as last time).

This only tends to happen when I switch the extension block off and then come back like a day or so later (can PSU's build up electric or something when turned off for a day? In the capacitors?)

I'm sorry I don't have very good knowledge of electronics so any help you could give me would be massively appreciated.

Regards,

Oli.

I have the same problem that you told here, and I haven't received any answer from the support center...

I personally would avoid using the switch on a power strip or similar to energize/de-energize a PC power supply. It probably should be supported and be reliable, but based on my understanding of how these things work, you are improving the reliability of the power supply by leaving it energized all the time. It is a laws of physics thing and not a result of Corsair's design philosophy.

They don't put a switch on it just for kicks, however.

I have the same problem that you told here, and I haven't received any answer from the support center...

Did you ever find out an answer / solution Dakmor?

I personally would avoid using the switch on a power strip or similar to energize/de-energize a PC power supply. It probably should be supported and be reliable, but based on my understanding of how these things work, you are improving the reliability of the power supply by leaving it energized all the time. It is a laws of physics thing and not a result of Corsair's design philosophy.

They don't put a switch on it just for kicks, however.

So do you recommend leaving the Belkin power strip on all the time then? But switch the PC off via the actual switch on the back of the PSU?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the same behaviour even with brand new cables in my room.

The electrician advised to directly plug the psu to the wall and all other units to switchable units.

Worked for me.

However: Does anyone know a german support number?

I am trying to register since weeks and always get an error, even from several devices with different browsers...

• Corsair Employee
Had the same behaviour even with brand new cables in my room.

The electrician advised to directly plug the psu to the wall and all other units to switchable units.

Worked for me.

However: Does anyone know a german support number?

I am trying to register since weeks and always get an error, even from several devices with different browsers...

We just have a general support number. If you're inquiring about product registration, we don't have a system for that. Just a ticket system for if/when you have questions or issues with products.

Archived