Corsair Community

HD Tune Pro READ Bench - Weird result for Force 3 120GB!!

3BRP

I'm replacing my k1ngst0n 64GB V-series SSD with a 120GB Force 3 hoping to get some more space and speed. By now I'm fully aware of the Marvell SATA3 controller limitations, so for testing purposes I'm using just SATA2 for now. I'm getting a very weird looking benchmark result on the Force 3 with HD Tune Pro. I've attached screenshots of the read benchmark for the Force 3 and the k1ngst0n. What is causing this slow speed and jittering for the first half of the benchmark on the Force 3??:confused: They were both tested on the same PC even using the same SATA2 port. Also, WHAT is up with the temperature sensor on the Force 3???

Thanks!

14-August-2011_13-48.png.a85c942a04cfc611d361a37cd653a5f5.png

26-February-2011_22-17.png.de71b1f305072d6cd7971ff442894a12.png

Do you have about 60GB used up on the Force 3?

The slow bit is probably just where it's reading real data... then the real data ends and you get the faster speed you were expecting the entire time.

As for the missing temp value, it would appear HD Tune Pro is unable to query the drive's SMART data. Maybe it's a fluke, maybe it's a controller issue, maybe it's a driver issue - can't really say at this point.

Do you have about 60GB used up on the Force 3?

The slow bit is probably just where it's reading real data... then the real data ends and you get the faster speed you were expecting the entire time.

As for the missing temp value, it would appear HD Tune Pro is unable to query the drive's SMART data. Maybe it's a fluke, maybe it's a controller issue, maybe it's a driver issue - can't really say at this point.

Yeah I have 60Gb used on the Force 3 but only after I cloned my K1ngst0n and made the Force 3 "C:\" Before that, when it was empty it was benching in the same way. Very erratic and strange. As far as the temperature - HD Tune was actually showing me an overheating warning and showing it at 128C (I don't know why it is blank on the screenshot)

Blank would be where it can't query SMART data. 128 would be where there's no temp sensor in the drive and SandForce decided (in their infinite wisdom) to use 128 as a default/fixed value.

It's interesting that the Force 3 doesn't have a sensor and the Force GT does... I knew I'd seen a real value for the temp on one of my drives!

Going back to the speed issue, if it's not a major pain and you really want to get figure it out, SE the drive and do another test without having initialised, partitioned or formatted it. I assume your bios and Intel RST drivers are all current?

I assume your bios and Intel RST drivers are all current?

BIOS - NO :roll:

Intel RST - Yes - just installed them yesterday

Should I flash the BIOS? Do you really believe it will make a difference?

I believe they like you to be running the latest BIOS and Intel RST. Old versions have problems etc etc.

The BIOS would/could update the Intel option ROM (the bit you see when the machine first starts up and before Windows starts to load).

You do have the controller set to AHCI mode yeah?

I believe they like you to be running the latest BIOS and Intel RST. Old versions have problems etc etc.

The BIOS would/could update the Intel option ROM (the bit you see when the machine first starts up and before Windows starts to load).

You do have the controller set to AHCI mode yeah?

The SSD that I'm replacing was running in IDE mode ever since I first bought it, until I started reading up on this because of the upgrade to Force 3, and changed it to AHCI just yestreday. Does that mean that I didn't have TRIM active up until now??

As for the BIOS, I will update it and hope for the best!

Possibly, I think it depends on the driver that was being used and if it (sent?) allowed the 'Trim' (Data Set Management) command to reach the drive.

To the drive, it's just another command - so it doesn't matter which mode the controller is in.

edit: oops, should have refreshed before posting :)

Archived