Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6

JediTim

Hello,

I am planning on building a computer as soon as Gigabyte releases the new motherboard based on the Intel P35 chipset and would like to know when you will post the memory that will be compatible with the MB.

The build will be based on:

• Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, when released
  • Video Card - Gigabyte GV-NX86T256D
  • Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-520HX
  • CPU - Intel e6600
  • Hard Drives - Two Seagate 500Gb
  • O/S - Microsoft Vista Ultimate
  • DVD - LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 SATA

I planned on using 4 Gb of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 memory when the above build was planned around a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard but the availablility of the MB is low and since the new chipset will be available shortly I will now wait.

The two main quesions are:

• When will you post the compatible memory?
  • Should I fo with 4Gb or 3Gb considering the limitations of Vista?

The computer will mainly be used for Photoshop, some video editing, minimal gaming and normal MS Office products.

Thanks for any information you can provide, Tim

If you are planning on using 4gb of memory, I would suggest one of our new Twinx2x 4096mb kits which is 2 x 2gb DIMMs. This should be more stable on that MOBO. Keep in mind that there is no lab data yet on this MOBO since it has not been released. However, that memory should run fine in it. I assume you are getting the DDR2 version of the board or, is Gigabyte making a DDR2 version of it?

Hi,

I'm looking to build a mini-ATX system using ASUS P5B-VM DO mobo and it has the Q965 chipset. ASUS shows only one model of your's (I believe the CM2X1024-6400C4) that's compatable, but I was wondering if you have others that will work as well. Thanks

Derrick

Hi,

I'm looking to build a mini-ATX system using ASUS P5B-VM DO mobo and it has the Q965 chipset. ASUS shows only one model of your's (I believe the CM2X1024-6400C4) that's compatable, but I was wondering if you have others that will work as well. Thanks

Derrick

Derrick, could you please start your own thread for this. You don't have any of the same hardware or questions as the OP and, your posts can easily be overlooked in the middle of someone else's thread.

Also, try HERE and see if your MOBO is listed.

If you are planning on using 4gb of memory, I would suggest one of our new Twinx2x 4096mb kits which is 2 x 2gb DIMMs. This should be more stable on that MOBO. Keep in mind that there is no lab data yet on this MOBO since it has not been released. However, that memory should run fine in it. I assume you are getting the DDR2 version of the board or, is Gigabyte making a DDR2 version of it?

Thanks for your response...

...Gigabyte is releasing two versions of the board (based on what I have read) ...one with DDR2 and a seperate identical board that will support DDR3. I will use the DDR2 board.:cool:

I couldn't find any reference on either your site or Newegg for the 2 x 2gb DIMMs. I guess that brings up another question...since the MB will have four slots; is it that much more beneficial to use two slots with 2gb each or four slots with 1gb each. :confused: Also, aren't the 2gb DIMMs on the expensive side?

The other question as well is...should I bother with 4gb or go with 3gb...two 1gb DIMMs and two 512MB DIMMs or would this effect dual channel mode.:confused: The reason I ask this is the limiting factor of Windows...is it a waste of money to buy 4gb if I can't use all of it...if you recommend 4gb I am more than fine as that is what I plan on doing anyway.

The final question...I know the board has not been officially released and from what I can tell it will come out on May 21st. Assuming the MB will be available on the 21st, how long will it be for Corsair to indicate the compatible DIMMs for this and other P35 MBs that are then on the market...a rough estimate would be fine.

Thanks again for your help,

Tim

2 DIMMs are better on the MOBO than 4, assuming all other things are equal. There is substantially less load on the chipset. it's cooler overall, and uses less power.

Right now, at Newegg for example, the 2 x 2gb kits are listing for $270 with a $40 rebate attached bringing them to $230. So, it is no more expensive than buying 4 comparable DIMMs.

I would NOT suggest mixing and matching 512mb DIMMs with 1024mb DIMMs. Mixing and matching like that is not a good idea and can bring instabilities. Even if you install 4gb and a 32bit OS only uses approximately 3gb, you still have a good increase and you avoid the potential problems listed above.

According to the chipset specifications, our memory will run just fine with that board. All of the current Gigabyte DDR2 boards run our memory well.

Mike,

Thanks for your help:D: ...I don't know how I missed that part at Newegg.:eek: That is exactly what I now plan on doing as it makes more sense to me to use these as a matched pair versus the four sticks.

To top it off the prices before rebate at Newegg are $318 for the four sticks and $270 for the two sticks for the same amount of memory.:bigeyes: With the rebate I am better off yet again.

Now I just need the MB to be released and hope for a positive review.

Thanks again and have a great weekend,

Tim

2 DIMMs are better on the MOBO than 4, assuming all other things are equal. There is substantially less load on the chipset. it's cooler overall, and uses less power.

Right now, at Newegg for example, the 2 x 2gb kits are listing for $270 with a $40 rebate attached bringing them to $230. So, it is no more expensive than buying 4 comparable DIMMs.

I would NOT suggest mixing and matching 512mb DIMMs with 1024mb DIMMs. Mixing and matching like that is not a good idea and can bring instabilities. Even if you install 4gb and a 32bit OS only uses approximately 3gb, you still have a good increase and you avoid the potential problems listed above.

According to the chipset specifications, our memory will run just fine with that board. All of the current Gigabyte DDR2 boards run our memory well.

Mike,

Thanks again, however, I have a few more questions. Gigabyte posted the GA-P35-DQ6 motherboard on their website. I had an opportunity to review the board and the additional link indicating the Memory Support List.

I really would like to use the 2 x 2gb DIMMs you mention above and have even added them to my Newegg Wish List to purchase once the motherboard is released. The concern I have is that the Gigabyte Website support list indicates 1 512MB and two 1gb DIMMS. The 1gb DIMMs are the CM2x1024-6400C4 and CM2x1024-8500C5.

Do you think they just overlooked the 2 x 2gb DIMMs or is their a problem? The board has four slots and is supposed to be able to accept up to 8gb so it should accept four 2gb DIMMs based on simple math.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help,

Tim

Most likely, at the time the manual was printed, the 2 x 2gb kits were not available and had not been validated. The MOBO should run the 2gb DIMMs just fine.

Thanks Mike...once again you are making me feel better.:D: I will let you know how the memory works out for me once I get all of the parts.

Tim

I just purchased this board from ClubIT.com (The P35 boards have been showing up at places like ClubIT and ewiz for about a week now, off and on) and I'm using the Corsair XMS2 2GB kit (2 x 1GB) and it works just fine with the GA-P35-DQ6 BIOS F4, so far the highest overclock I've been able to achieve is 340 FSB with 5-5-5-18 timings with E6600 x 9.

I haven't tested the highest clock settings with 4-4-4-12 timings but the board has no problems running @ 266 FSB when I set the timings manually in the BIOS.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr2-800_2.html

I haven't been able to hit the higher frequencies they did with this board.

Yeah, I'm running BIOS F4 which is the latest for this board.

I'm following this guide

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

It's pretty much the same options on this board, after adjusting my settings I'm at 333 FSB with 4-4-4-12 1:1, there are a few options I don't know what to set to though

CAS Latency Time: 4

DRAM RAS# to CAS$ Delay: 4

DRAM Precharge: 4

Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD): ???

Rank Write to READ Delay: ???

Write To Precharge Delay: ??? (okay just got this from the link in your sig, 15)

Refresh to ACT Delay: ???

tRD: ???

tRD Phase Adjustment: ???

I have all the ??? settings set to auto except the "Refresh to ACT Delay", it's set to 0 as there is no auto setting option.

• Corsair Employee
You need to load setup defaults and then exit saving changes and let the system try to boot to a floppy or CD and then restart and go back and only set the settings and Voltage as listed for your specific module.

Most likely, at the time the manual was printed, the 2 x 2gb kits were not available and had not been validated. The MOBO should run the 2gb DIMMs just fine.

Mike,

I was search the website and found the TWIN@X409606400C5DHX information has be posted.

I am confused to say the least. :bigeyes: You had mentioned that the MOBO should run fine with this DIMM. In reading the PDF it states that it is "Designed for 64-bit Operating Systems." It specifically states that "Corsair does not recommend installing 4GB onto PCs with 32-bit operating systems – this configuration is not advised nor supported." :eek:

I really want to use this DIMM for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 build and am not concerned that I will not see the full available RAM. I just want to ensure that the RAM will actually work and I am not buying this in vain.

Please advise...I am hoping that "Corsair" is just covering their bases on the flyer because of the 32bit limits with RAM.

Thanks, Tim

The memory will work just fine. However, there is a LOT of confusion these days with the emergence of 4gb kits and with Vista. Corsair issued this statement to clarify that the limitation is with ALL 32bit operating systems and to clarify that it is not a limitation or problem with memory.

The memory will work just fine. However, there is a LOT of confusion these days with the emergence of 4gb kits and with Vista. Corsair issued this statement to clarify that the limitation is with ALL 32bit operating systems and to clarify that it is not a limitation or problem with memory.

That is what I was hoping you would say. I am sure that a lot of people would complain that they are not "seeing" their full $$'s worth of memory.

As long as the computer will be stable I will be pleased. :D: Just wanted to ensure that it will work and I also noticed after I sent this message that the Corsair Configurator does mention this as being compatible.

I will let you know how it works if Newegg actually ever gets the board and memory in stock. :sigh!:

Thanks again, Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Please let us know when you do get the system up and running!

Finally...the system has been ordered...however I needed to settle for 2Gb of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 versus the 4Gb of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX as this was unavailable.

The parts should be delivered today through UPS...of course last night I checked Newegg and the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX became available so I ordered in...it should arrive on Monday...I guess I can't complete the build until early next week.

I will keep you posted.

Tim

Finally...the system has been ordered...however I needed to settle for 2Gb of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 versus the 4Gb of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX as this was unavailable.

The parts should be delivered today through UPS...of course last night I checked Newegg and the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX became available so I ordered in...it should arrive on Monday...I guess I can't complete the build until early next week.

I will keep you posted.

Tim

Ahhh....a weekend, and a pile of new puter parts :headbang:

Time to gather up some good music and your favorite beverages and go to work. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Ahhh....a weekend, and a pile of new puter parts :headbang:

Time to gather up some good music and your favorite beverages and go to work. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Great Icon :cool:...hopefully I am not banging my head...first build in a couple of years...should be simple. :roll: :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

:D: Finally have everything installed in the new build. As you will recall I started a new system with the following specs:

• Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
  • CPU - Intel e6600
  • Memory - Corsair 2x4096 -64005DHX, 4Gb
  • Power Supply - Corsair 520HX
  • Hard Drives - 2x 500Gb Seagate 7200.10, SATA
  • DVD Drive - LiteOn LH-20A1L-06
  • Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT
  • Case - LianLi PC-6070A Plus
  • Operating System - Vista Ultimate

Everything went together relatively easy...took my time to ensure nothing would go wrong with attention to placing cables in a way that would promote airflow. :roll:

On the first try the system posted with no problems. The next day I completed the build and then hooked up a monitor to ensure it in fact was working and sure enough the computer goes through POST and let's me know that I needed an operating system.:biggrin:

I adjusted the BIOS to indicate that I was using SATA hard drives instead of IDE. I loaded a DVD with the OEM version of Vista...it starts up and gets to the point where I need to select a hard drive...the system can't locate the hard drives :eek: even though it posted that they were both connected and found? :confused:

I searched for anyone else having the problem and determined through a MS Knowledge Base article that the problem may have been that I had both hard drives connected. I decided to disconnect one hard drive and sure enough the install started the next time with Vista loading up to the SATA hard drive. :biggrin:

As of last night I have now updated all of the drivers. I will next install a AV program (Kaspersky) and then connect to the internet for the first time to download any Windows updates.

As for what the system shows. It is reporting that I have 3.58Gb of memory which isn't bad...I expected closer to 3.1 or 3.2Gb. Vista also reports my system as 5.1 on the Windows Experience Index...much better than the 1.0 I received prior to installing the nVidia drivers. The slowest point was the CPU at 5.1...the memory was a 5.8, video 5.9 and hard disk 5.6.

I will now install additional programs, Photoshop being first, and possibly tinker a little with Overclock settings.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Archived