Corsair Community

Problems With Corsair Ram and A8N SLI Deluxe

Airmax2020

This is a bit of strange issue, but I had bought a kit of CMX512-3200C2 V5.2 and everything worked great so I decided to buy another set. Again everything was working fine. Then my motherboard had some issue and I had to Get it RMA'D. They sent me a new board but exactly the same make A8N SLI Premium but now when I insert all 4 dimms its giving me a memory error. I ended up looking in the manual and it turns out that you can't use 4 CMX512-3200C2 dimms together. My question is, how was it possible that I got the 4 to work before for so long with no issues whatsoever? I recently updated the BIOS to the newest revision. I have set the ram manually in the bios to 2.5-3-3-6. I read somewhere to set the Voltage for it to 2.75 but I don't see that option anywhere. All four Dimms are the same make and revision. Any Help would be appreciated.

Check the manual and find the setting for the RAM voltage. It may refer to it as Vdimm or DRAMv or similiar. You definitely need 2.75v with 4 of those DIMMs.

Also, what happened to cause you to RMA? Is the 4 DIMMs what killed the MOBO in the first place since you found that the MOBO does not support them?

Mike.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it was because of the Ram why the Motherboard RMA'D. After Installing the 4 Dimms it worked great for 4-5 months with no problems. The motherboard died after I started having problems with the onboard sound (I think my case wasn't grounded properly) I have tested each pair seperately and they work.

I am looking through my Manual.. I think I may have found where I can set it but its called "DDR Voltage" We'll see if this helps me solve the 4dimm issue

Here is what I am going to try

400mhz

2.5-3-3-6 Command Rate -2T

Voltage 2.75

** Update The above settings did not work .. Any other Ideas? ****

One kits lot number is listed but one is not. Again all four of these dims originally worked with my first A8n-SLI_premium board, I am having issues with the new board that I got back from the RMA. On another note I have tried using 3 dimms and they work, but not when I try using three dimms with Slot B2 on my motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to All that have replied.... Just to post my solution for other people that may have the same issue. It turned out to be the new Motherboard that Asus had RMA'd to me. I got yet another MB back from ASUS and now the Ram works fine again. Only thing is the onboard sound on this new RMA is garbage! so they fixed one problem for yet another. Never buying Asus again.

• 1 month later...
HI! Ram guy i have a kit(2x 512MB) of the VS1GBKIT400(dual channel - slot 1 and 2) and it's work perfect in the Asus A8N-E. Now, i have an oportunity to buy two others modules, but the especification is diferent: CMX512-3200C2. My doubt is: i can use the CMX512-3200C2 rams (two modules - slot 3 and 4) with the others VS1GBKIT400? :confused:

It is not recommended to mix memory types. You may get instability or possibly not even be able to post. If you have access to the memory before you buy, you could give a try. You won't damage the MOBO or anything and the only way to tell if it will work is to test it. However, the best option is to use our Memory Configurator and select a 2 x 1gb memory kit for your MOBO.

• 3 weeks later...
HI! Ram guy i have a kit(2x 512MB) of the VS1GBKIT400(dual channel - slot 1 and 2) and it's work perfect in the Asus A8N-E. Now, i have an oportunity to buy two others modules, but the especification is diferent: CMX512-3200C2. My doubt is: i can use the CMX512-3200C2 rams (two modules - slot 3 and 4) with the others VS1GBKIT400? :confused:

Hello! Ram guy as you know I have two modules of the VS1GBKIT400, and I am thinking to buy another. So I will have four modules of the same rams. The question is: the system will work well? :sigh!:

Or is better sell the memories and buy two 1G? What do you recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again! I'd like to know if the CMX1024-3200PT is better than VS1GBKIT400; Exist any diference between them?

I have the last one (VS1...) and i've a real oportunity to buy the CMX2048 (=2x CMX1024) in this case the computer will a have better performance?

Sure my friend! But, what i want to know is if exist difference between the CMX1024-3200PT and VS1GBKIT400 in terms of speed. Problably the CMX1024 is similar as the CMX2048.

TWINX1024-3200PT XMS3200 1024MB @ 3-3-3-8 Click Here

VS1GBKIT400 PC3200 1024MB Corsair does not guarantee timings on the VS.

The 3200PT has guaranteed timings. I would not mix and match these sets.

I think that it is six of one and a half dozen of the other. The only way you can be certain is to try both in your system.

Either way, I think you will be so close on either set that it doesn't really matter. Both sets are guaranteed with Corsairs lifetime warranty at any rate. Since you already have 2 X 1GB I think it really matters little.

Hi Ram Guy

Reading the previous posts I am surpriced of the answer you gave me on e-mail.

Could you please clarify?

Dear Valued Customer,

We recommend the following modules for upgrade:

TWINX1024-3200C2 XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-3-6 2x184 DIMM Black

TWINX1024-3200C2PT XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-3-6 2x184 DIMM Platinum

Best regards,

Ram Guy

Corsair Memory Technical Support

Corsair Memory, Inc.

46221 Landing Parkway

Fremont, CA 94538

510-657-8747

Hi

My son is running a gaming PC with a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MB, AMD

Athlon64 X2 4200+ processor and Nvidia7800 series graphic cards in SLI.

Memory installed so far is TWINXP1024-3200C2 The question is what will

be the best way to upgrade the memory? The XP's don't leave much room for adding another set of memory, and as far as speed / money would it be wiser to upgrade to 2048?

appreciate your answers

regards

Pontius

Archived