Corsair Community

Problems adding DIMMS on MSI K8N NP

ride

I now have a Corsair XMS3200LLPT 512 MB DIMM v1.3 installed in my first slot on my K8N NP. Because i wanted some extra memory, i decided to check the shops, but concluded that the kind of memory i wanted (same as i have now), was no longer on sale. So, i tried to get it by other means, and checking ebay for new DIMMS. I found 2 that i won, and tried them in my system:

Corsair XMS3200LLPRO 512 MB Rev 1.0

Corsair XMS3200LLPT 256(a) MB Rev 2.1

As you can see, these dimms should be the same concerning type of memory, all are 3200LL modules. But as you might have guessed, they aren't working. I have tried alle configurations concerning setup in slots (1-3), but nothing is working. As i would like to have some additional memory, i would like to have a suggestion on what to buy, because this is driving me crazy. I really hope somebody can help me :)

Welcome to the forums, ride!

I believe that a Newcastle core CPU will require that all of your memory modules be identical in order to run together...

HOWEVER, something you can try is to increase the VDimm to 2.75 or 2.8 volts and relax the latencies (I.E. CAS 3-3-3-8) and see if that helps.

Mixing lots of different revisions/densities isn't usually reccommended because it complicates the process of using the memory and the early A64's weren't very good at it... at all.

PLUR

CK

Thank you.

I've tried what you suggested. This works for the 256MB module, but the 512LLPRO does not want to work. Also, i see that i made a mistake in the version number, i now have v3.1. (XMS512-3200LLPT v3.1)

According to this site:

http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/

this means my memory uses infineon chips. The other two use winbond. (v1.0 and v2.1). Should this cause a problem?

Also, now that i have the 256MB DIMM working, but at lower speeds, i would like to know what other options remain. Are there similar modules to the ones i have now that use infineon chips? Thank You :D

I would try just the two 512MB modules with relaxed latencies and see what happens.

PLUR

CK

Tried this:

XMS512-3200LLPT v3.1 in slot 1

XMS512-3200LLPRO v1.0 in slot 2

XMS512-3200LLPT v3.1 in slot 1

XMS256A-3200LLPT v2.1 in slot 2

3.3.3.8 timings

Only the second setting works.

Note that the pc does not want to boot using the XMS512LLPRO module only

To adress the alternative, getting some alternative memory modules, i would like to know if problems concerning the use of chips won't happen again. As Corsair uses different chips on its DIMMS, i would like to be sure before buying some new memory that is compatible. So, can i trust the memory selector no matter what? Does it take the different versions in account? v1.0 v1.1 v2.1 e.g.? Thank you!

DOH!

Please try the modules one at a time. It'd be rare to get two bad modules at the same time, so this can help to determine the cause.

If one is bad and one is not, it's probably the module.

If both are bad, then it would be a good idea to try them in a friend's machine with Memtest and see if they get errors as well. (But dis-connect the HDD to protect their stuff, that one bit me in the rear before)

PLUR

CK

Tested all three modules:

Results:

XMS512-3200LLPT - > 64 errors in test #5

XMS256A-3200LLPT - > no errors

XMS512-3200LLPRO - > 1544 errors in test #5

Ok, checked the two DIMMS that gave errors in test as show above again @2,7V:

XMS512-3200LLPT - > no errors

XMS512-3200LLPRO - > 1840 errors

What should i try or do next? Thank you for your help :D

Ok, did that, but did not receive a confirmation email or sth. Your sig says i should wait 24 hours. I think they have just passed. Should I give it some more time or should i already start mailing the rma service as mentioned in the link in your signature? Thanks!

Archived