Corsair Community

Weird LL140 RGB-animation stutter

Mantimestwo

So this is a problem I've tried looking for other people having for a little while, with no findings

I bought a 2x140 pack of LL fans at the start of the year, and due to some LEDs being stuck, I RMA'd them.

got the first replacement after an RMA to the store I bought them from and the fans worked well other than a small weird thing. Once or twice a day while using my pc, the RGB animations started to stuttering and freezing for a minute, until resetting itself and showing the default rainbow, and then starting the custom animations again. ICUE was also picking up the lag, since it was showing it in the preview windows for the fans (not giving any errors on the bottom)

Switching the usb port of the cable going to the LNP didn't fix the problem, and I had no idea what the problem was, so I got a second replacement, and alas, the same problem seems to be here again

Only happens pretty much once a day, at least that has been the case with me seeing it happen, while using the pc otherwise for most of the day.

ICUE as well as the LNP are up to date on updates. ICUE itself isn't lagging in any way while the RGB is doing so.

I currently have both of the LNP and the LL fanhub on the same SATA power cable that goes to my HDD, was thinking of maybe trying to move them onto another and switching my SDD to the same as the HDD, leaving only the hubs on the other, to see if that would make any difference. (tested and still happened) Other than that, I sincerely have no idea what's the problem.

Edit: Debug logging showed nothing out of the ordinary going on in the logs while the RGB was lagging

EDIT2: scratch that, this appeared in the debug folder, I just didn't notice, and I'm pretty sure it came up just after it ended or was going on

2019-03-27 21:46:21.8671 | 51 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

System.OutOfMemoryException: Tyypin System.OutOfMemoryException poikkeus.

kohteessa System.Text.StringBuilder..ctor(String value, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Int32 capacity)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTraceBase.XmlEncode(String text)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.WriteExceptionToTraceString(XmlTextWriter xml, Exception exception, Int32 remainingLength, Int32 remainingAllowedRecursionDepth)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.ExceptionToTraceString(Exception exception, Int32 maxTraceStringLength)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.GetSerializedPayload(Object source, TraceRecord traceRecord, Exception exception, Boolean getServiceReference)

kohteessa System.Runtime.TraceCore.ThrowingEtwException(EtwDiagnosticTrace trace, String param0, String param1, Exception exception)

kohteessa System.Runtime.ExceptionTrace.TraceEtwException(Exception exception, TraceEventType eventType)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.ExceptionUtility.ThrowHelper(Exception exception, TraceEventType eventType, TraceRecord extendedData)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.CpuIdRemoteServiceReference.ICpuIdRemoteService.GetSouthBridgeModel()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.CpuIdRemoteSdk.GetSouthBridgeModel()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Dram.MotherboardChipsetHelper.GetChipset(ICpuIdRemote sdk)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Dram.DramComponent.GetDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Dram.DramComponent.<InternalAccept>d__1c.MoveNext()

--- Pinon jäljityksen loppu aiemmasta sijainnista, jossa palautettiin poikkeus ---

kohteessa System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

kohteessa System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.BaseComponent.<Accept>d__0.MoveNext()

--- Pinon jäljityksen loppu aiemmasta sijainnista, jossa palautettiin poikkeus ---

kohteessa System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

kohteessa System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Core.DevicesMonitor.<RunTask>d__29.MoveNext()

2019-03-27 21:46:25.2643 | 27 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

kohteessa System.Text.StringBuilder.set_Length(Int32 value)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.FileTarget.Write(LogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.Target.Write(AsyncLogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.Target.WriteAsyncThreadSafe(AsyncLogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.Target.WriteAsyncLogEvent(AsyncLogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.LoggerImpl.WriteToTargetWithFilterChain(TargetWithFilterChain targetListHead, LogEventInfo logEvent, AsyncContinuation onException)

kohteessa NLog.LoggerImpl.Write(Type loggerType, TargetWithFilterChain targets, LogEventInfo logEvent, LogFactory factory)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Utils.DeviceControlExtentions.<ProcessDeviceRequest>d__0.MoveNext()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Core.DevicesMonitor.<RunTask>d__29.MoveNext()

There's a few words of finnish there, considering I am finnish, but if anyone needs it translated I'll be happy to

Edited by Mantimestwo

Looking at the error messages, it looks like you're running out of system memory which likely causes iCue to crash and restart. How RAM do you have installed? If it's enough, there might be a memory leak of sorts (with iCue or some other software you're using). Try to monitor your process memory usage when that happens. Edited by Glzmo

I have two 8gb 3200MHz sticks, both are installed properly to my knowledge.

Any particularly good way to monitor memory usage other than task manager? If tm is fine I'll just have it open to see if anything weird happens whenever I'll see the RGB screw up the next time

Edit: also, is it normal for corsair.service.CpuIdRemote64.exe to be using around 160 000-150 000 Kb of ram? just asking considering the error message mentions it, and all in all I have no idea what it actually even does, and it constantly being one of the most RAM utilizing pieces of software while idle.

Edit2: okay, so

the RGB started lagging again, and more error code, constant RAM usage seemed to drop, I'd say a gig after it ended.

corsair.service.CpuIdRemote64.exe Ram usage seemed to drop from around the 120 000-160 000 kb to just under 100 000, and seemed to start climbing again ever so slowly. Albeit I'm not sure what it was just before, but I'm fairly certain it was higher before since it wasn't going down anyhow, or that's how it seemed last I looked at it a little earlier (still going back up as of writing this)

If this is the piece of software causing the likely memory leak, it would explain the fact of why it happens so scarcely, and always around the same-ish hours during the evening, after having my pc open for a while, it having been running for a while? I don't know, not really a software guy and I don't really understand much of this

More error messages included :D:

2019-03-28 17:05:07.4522 | 46 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

kohteessa System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.ToString(TraceFormat traceFormat)

kohteessa System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.ToString()

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTraceBase.StackTraceString(Exception exception)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.WriteExceptionToTraceString(XmlTextWriter xml, Exception exception, Int32 remainingLength, Int32 remainingAllowedRecursionDepth)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.ExceptionToTraceString(Exception exception, Int32 maxTraceStringLength)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.EtwDiagnosticTrace.GetSerializedPayload(Object source, TraceRecord traceRecord, Exception exception, Boolean getServiceReference)

kohteessa System.Runtime.TraceCore.ThrowingEtwException(EtwDiagnosticTrace trace, String param0, String param1, Exception exception)

kohteessa System.Runtime.ExceptionTrace.TraceEtwException(Exception exception, TraceEventType eventType)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.ExceptionUtility.ThrowHelper(Exception exception, TraceEventType eventType, TraceRecord extendedData)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

kohteessa System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.CpuIdRemoteServiceReference.ICpuIdRemoteService.GetSouthBridgeModel()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.CpuIdRemoteSdk.GetSouthBridgeModel()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Dram.MotherboardChipsetHelper.GetChipset(ICpuIdRemote sdk)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Dram.DramComponent.GetDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Dram.DramComponent.<InternalAccept>d__1c.MoveNext()

2019-03-28 17:05:09.2143 | 36 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

kohteessa System.Text.StringBuilder.ToString()

kohteessa NLog.Layouts.Layout.RenderAllocateBuilder(LogEventInfo logEvent, StringBuilder reusableBuilder, Boolean cacheLayoutResult)

kohteessa NLog.Layouts.SimpleLayout.GetFormattedMessage(LogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.ColoredConsoleTarget.Write(LogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.Target.Write(AsyncLogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.Target.WriteAsyncThreadSafe(AsyncLogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.Targets.Target.WriteAsyncLogEvent(AsyncLogEventInfo logEvent)

kohteessa NLog.LoggerImpl.WriteToTargetWithFilterChain(TargetWithFilterChain targetListHead, LogEventInfo logEvent, AsyncContinuation onException)

kohteessa NLog.LoggerImpl.Write(Type loggerType, TargetWithFilterChain targets, LogEventInfo logEvent, LogFactory factory)

kohteessa NLog.Logger.WriteToTargets(LogLevel level, Exception ex, String message, Object[] args)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Common.Shared.Logger.LoggerAdapter.Fatal[T](T value)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Core.DevicesMonitor.LogException(Exception ex)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Service.Common.Core.DevicesMonitor.<AcceptDeviceComponent>d__53.MoveNext()

2019-03-28 17:05:09.2483 | 48 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

kohteessa System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.ProDevices.Common.ProDevicesProvider`2.UpdateDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.ProDevices.Common.ProDevicesProvider`2.EnumerateDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.ProDevices.SpecOmega.SpecOmegaDeviceComponent.<Accept>d__0.MoveNext()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Common.Shared.DevicesData.DeviceAcceptHelper.<Accept>d__6`1.MoveNext()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.ProDevices.ProDevicesComponent.<Accept>d__17.MoveNext()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.ProDevices.ProDevicesComponent.<InternalAccept>d__c.MoveNext()

2019-03-28 17:05:13.6495 | 36 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

kohteessa System.Text.StringBuilder.ExpandByABlock(Int32 minBlockCharCount)

kohteessa System.Text.StringBuilder.Append(Char value, Int32 repeatCount)

kohteessa System.Text.StringBuilder.Append(Char value)

kohteessa System.Runtime.Diagnostics.DiagnosticTraceBase.XmlEncode(String text)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.CpuIdRemoteServiceReference.ICpuIdRemoteService.GetNumberOfDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.Common.CpuIdRemoteSdk.GetNumberOfDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.CpuIdDevice.CpuIdComponent.EnumerateDevices()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.CpuIdDevice.CpuIdComponent.CollectDeviceData()

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.CpuIdDevice.CpuIdComponent.VisitSystemInfo(ISensorVisitor visitor)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.CpuIdDevice.CpuIdRemoteComponent.VisitSystemInfo(ISensorVisitor visitor)

kohteessa CorsairLink4.Module.CpuIdDevice.CpuIdComponent.<InternalAccept>d__0.MoveNext()

2019-03-28 17:05:18.0868 | 40 | PC | 3.13.0.11 | DevicesMonitor | ->

CorsairLink4.Common.Shared.DevicesData.ComponentException: Component crashes. Error: Tyypin System.OutOfMemoryException poikkeus.

edit 3:corsair.service.CpuIdRemote64.exe went up to around 175 000kb after it started going up, stopped for a little moment and seemed to drop to 100 000 again and started rising up once more, no rgb-lag though

Edited by Mantimestwo

Anyway, I downloaded and installed iCUE 3.1. Didn't seem to have the corsair.service.CpuIdRemote64.exe, at least task manager wasn't picking it up.

After that, I decided to install a 3.10 version, which yes had cpuid, but

after staring at it for a minute or two, it pretty much decided to stay at 18 500kb, give or take around 300 up and down

I also tried installing a 3.12 version, but in that cpuid started eating away at the ram as well, similar to the 3.13 I was running previously

If weird things keep happening, I'll post news here, if not, this is at least some sort of a fix for now :biggrin:

Also, as a sidenote, when I was using the 3.13 version, I had noticed that it didn't pick up any of the temp sensors, which I had found weird, since when I got the fans at the start of the year, they had worked, but now that I went back to 3.10, the version that was out when I got them, seems to pick everything up again :biggrin:

just something I figured I could throw out there ^^

Edited by Mantimestwo

Aside from all of the above, have you tried 3.14.100? Yes, the older iCUEs did not have the CPU ID to perform it's task and those were handled elsewhere. For most people, the total package of service usage has been reduced quite a bit since then. I don't have anything using more than 1% with iCUE closed to the task bar drop down.

You also could try a clean install of iCUE 3.14 to see if there is an installation problem. Before uninstalling, go to C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden folder)/Roaming/Corsair/iCUE and copy the Corsair/iCUE folder to your desktop. That is all your settings, profiles, icons, and everything else. Remove current iCUE, take the option to delete all settings, then restart, install 3.14. Create a quick new dummy profile with one of the troubled effects. If it checks out OK, fully quit iCUE, go back to the App Data/Roaming folder and drop Corsair/iCUE back in, then launch iCUE again. That will bring back all your current profiles and settings.

Aight, I did do a fresh install of 3.14, but to no awail, RAM usage of cpuid kept climbing up and up just like with 3.12 and 3.13

Guess I'll stick to 3.10 as that is what seems to be working properly for me, and it isn't that far from the newest versions and since cpuid doesn't seem to be eating my ram up on that