Corsair Community

Dominator Plat RGB Query

ntweedie2007

Hey

I'm a little confused - on the Corsair site, it shows 3200mhz and then 3600mhz - fine, no probs.

However, on Scan.co.uk it has 3466mhz - which isn't even listed on the Corsair site.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-2x8gb-corsair-ddr4-dominator-platinum-rgb-pc4-27700-3466-non-ecc-unbuff-cas-16-18-18-36-rgb-led

Can anyone shed light on this? Are these actually 3600mhz modules? I don't understand why they aren't on the Corsair site.

I am not sure I would read too deeply into whether something is or is not on the website for sale. Any number of reasons, including it may be a SKU# specifically for certain retail vendors. It is probably exactly what it’s listed as - a 3466C16 kit. Here is the same kit in the US market.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16820236523

Hey - thanks for this! I raised a ticket with Corsair just in case, but I'm sure they will say the same.

Maybe you could shed light on one other query, and that is the part number. They are identical except the 3466mhz has "M2C" in the middle, whereas the 3600mhz has "M2K" - would this signify anything? Different die cast?

Edit - I guess you can ignore the above as I just read the sticky. Seems the 3600mhz is revision K and 3466mhz is revision C. So by my reckoning, the 3600 was produced after the 3466? Not sure what, if any, difference this makes. K would be more refined/newer?

Edited by ntweedie2007

It may not be newer vs older. C vs K could be material supplier (Hynix vs Samsung) or it could be a different batch of supply and was sufficiently different to mark them as such. According to Taiphoon Burner, my CMT32GX4M4K3600C16 is Samsung 8 GB B-die, revision 01h. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Looking at the three 2x8 kits at 3466C16, 3600C18, and 3600C16, the first two are "C" and come in a good $60-80 less than the 3600C16 kit that is K like mine. I consider 3466C16 and 3600C16 pretty close in potential, but it stands to reason the difference is likely the Samsung B-die versus something else.

It may not be newer vs older. C vs K could be material supplier (Hynix vs Samsung) or it could be a different batch of supply and was sufficiently different to mark them as such. According to Taiphoon Burner, my CMT32GX4M4K3600C16 is Samsung 8 GB B-die, revision 01h. Not sure if that matters to you or not. Looking at the three 2x8 kits at 3466C16, 3600C18, and 3600C16, the first two are "C" and come in a good $60-80 less than the 3600C16 kit that is K like mine. I consider 3466C16 and 3600C16 pretty close in potential, but it stands to reason the difference is likely the Samsung B-die versus something else.

Thank you! You're awesome. I kinda thought it might have something to do with the manufacturer - I want to ensure I get the Samsung B-die as this does appear to be superior from what I understand. Therefore, I will stick to "K" sets.

As you do appear to be the font of all knowledge here (no sarcasm - a genuine compliment!) which would you choose for gaming -

16GB 3600Mhz CL16 or

32GB 3200Mhz CL16 or

32GB 3600Mhz CL18?

Ideally I would prefer 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 but sadly, Corsair only offers this in 4x8GB and not 2x16GB. I have an i7-8700k, so I'm dual channel and not quad. Which makes me a little sad :[pouts:

Even if you are dual channel, you can still use a 4x8 kit as long as you have 4 slots. You don’t reap the huge performance gain like on a quad channel board, but it certainly works. There are some differences between a 8GB module and a 16GB. You won’t find too many 16GB module kits at 4000+. There are 4x8 kits that sell with higher frequency.

I also was looking at 2x16 kits and wanted a reduction in modules from my prior. Then I made a last minute decision to get the RGB Dominators. In terms of visual presentation, the full deck of 4 is quite impressive. I was wondering if my module temps would be higher. Nope. I’ve peaked at 36C while running MCI @ 4000 MHz and 1.40v. No issue there. For this specific style kit and the effects you can do, the 4 module kit is pretty fun. The only downside may be cost.

Even if you are dual channel, you can still use a 4x8 kit as long as you have 4 slots. You don’t reap the huge performance gain like on a quad channel board, but it certainly works. There are some differences between a 8GB module and a 16GB. You won’t find too many 16GB module kits at 4000+. There are 4x8 kits that sell with higher frequency.

I also was looking at 2x16 kits and wanted a reduction in modules from my prior. Then I made a last minute decision to get the RGB Dominators. In terms of visual presentation, the full deck of 4 is quite impressive. I was wondering if my module temps would be higher. Nope. I’ve peaked at 36C while running MCI @ 4000 MHz and 1.40v. No issue there. For this specific style kit and the effects you can do, the 4 module kit is pretty fun. The only downside may be cost.

Thanks again, I'll certainly look at the 4 sticks for the "look" as you suggest.

Final FINAL question - would you say there is any real gaming benefit to moving from 3200Mhz RAM to 3600Mhz (or 3466Mhz)? 5%? 10%? Wanna do a very basic cost/benefit analysis. I currently have the Vengeance RGB (1st gen I believe, not the "Pro") 16GB, 3200Mhz.

Pretty much zero advantage for gaming unless you have a known memory sucking application and/or are playing a game at crazy high frame rates at a lower resolution where the CPU-memory might be a slight bottleneck. You can google around for specific games and or other memory reviews and see what's there. The annual F1 simulator is a commonly listed one and my specific kit showed a 5 fps difference between 3600 and 2933 on F1 2015@1080. However, that is somewhat deliberately creating a result. Most games are going to exactly the same at 3200 vs 3600. You may now see lower frame rates in the 2133-2666 range, but once again the conditions have to be right. It's not a universal upgrade that will make everything better unless you have current problems.

It's hard to categorize memory as a cost effective upgrade unless you need more or are are forced because of hardware changes. I was running an older Dominator 4x4 3200C15 kit originally bought 5 years ago for my X99. Those things would clock right up to 4000, although the sweet spot in terms of timings was a very tight 3466. I am running 4000 now and there is no visible difference in performance and even the standard AIDA benchmarks are not overly exciting. My decision was one of aesthetics. I had meant to upgrade memory when I got this board, RAM prices went crazy and it made no sense. Now I have drastically changed my hardware look and I needed something different. Black Dominators were perfect. It is a luxury item.

Edited by c-attack

I have CMT16GX4M2C3200C14 and I was able to get them to 3400mhz 14-14-14-34 with no modifications. Haven't tried higher yet. Not so sure with such tight timings it could go further.

That's some nice timings. I must confess I have only ever used the preset XMP profiles with RAM. Are you using manual tunings? If so, can you say what they are or screenshot ur Bios? That would be awesome :)

Even though performance gains would be negligable over my current RAM, I'm a sucker for anything Corsair RGB and will probably buy them anyways!

Oh, while I have you - if you have a program that identifies the manufacturer of that RAM, can you tell me if it's Samsung or another brand?

Cheers!

That's some nice timings. I must confess I have only ever used the preset XMP profiles with RAM. Are you using manual tunings? If so, can you say what they are or screenshot ur Bios? That would be awesome :)

Even though performance gains would be negligable over my current RAM, I'm a sucker for anything Corsair RGB and will probably buy them anyways!

Oh, while I have you - if you have a program that identifies the manufacturer of that RAM, can you tell me if it's Samsung or another brand?

Cheers!

3200C14 is going to be Samsung no other IC can run that tight

Cheers!

I am using manual timings. Memory is definitely Samsung.

Memory Timings

CAS Latency (CL) 14T

RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 14T

RAS Precharge (tRP) 14T

RAS Active Time (tRAS) 34T

Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 594T

Command Rate (CR) 2T

RAS To RAS Delay (tRRD) Same Bank Group: 10T, Diff. Bank Group: 7T

Write Recovery Time (tWR) 24T

Read To Read Delay (tRTR) Different Rank: 7T, Different DIMM: 7T, Same Bank Group: 7T, Diff. Bank Group: 4T

Read To Write Delay (tRTW) Different Rank: 13T, Different DIMM: 13T, Same Bank Group: 13T, Diff. Bank Group: 13T

Write To Read Delay (tWTR) Different Rank: 6T, Different DIMM: 6T, Same Bank Group: 32T, Diff. Bank Group: 28T

Write To Write Delay (tWTW) Different Rank: 9T, Different DIMM: 9T, Same Bank Group: 7T, Diff. Bank Group: 4T

Read To Precharge Delay (tRTP) 12T

Write To Precharge Delay (tWTP) 41T

Four Activate Window Delay (tFAW) 38T

Write CAS Latency (tWCL) 13T

CKE Min. Pulse Width (tCKE) 8T

Refresh Period (tREF) 13265T

Round Trip Latency (tRTL) DIMM1: 81T, DIMM3: 81T

I/O Latency (tIOL) DIMM1: 4T, DIMM3: 4T

Burst Length (BL) 8

3200C14 is going to be Samsung no other IC can run that tight

That was my understanding as well. I'm kinda thinking anything that is C14 or C15 is likely Samsung. C16 could be either, and anything above that is probably not Samsung (at least not B-die).

Corsair wouldn't tell me, sadly, when I made a ticket but that was kinda expected.