Corsair Community

New iCue "Freezes" and requires constant CorsairService restart

Rakshasas

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is being discussed somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Long story short, CorsairService seems to just get stuck and stop updating iCUE. Not only do the graphs on the dashboard and "Space" stop updating and become flat, changing fan speeds and colours no longer work either. The service is essentially dead.

I've attached two screenshots that show the problem. Note how every graph is completely flat in the first picture. Nothing updates including temperatures. Note the second screenshot where the data starts changing again. The second screenshot is roughly 30 seconds after I restart CorsairService. At some point in the next 10 minutes or so it will once again stop reporting.

My solution to prevent overheating is to keep my fans at max speed until this is resolved, but that is quite loud.

I have to say, if it weren't for this particular problem I am having I would say I really like what you have done with iCUE. I never really liked Corsair Link (useful but a bit clunky and for some reason refused to go on my 3rd monitor). One unified software package for this stuff is just a great idea, but unfortunately the risk of overheating is too great and I hope we can resolve this.

I was thinking about performing a reinstall but I figured I'd post first and see if anyone had a comment. I have restarted my computer and have experienced this issue for two days.

FlatGraphMeansItsFrozen.thumb.png.b28a24fb5475bf486c1fe9b505bd8a1c.png

AfterServiceRestartGraphIsWavyAgain.thumb.png.99c148e5dd2f55c1f194976bee96c891.png

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things ...

1) Can you export your logs? Make sure that you have debug logging enabled first; if not, enable it and then export after reproducing the issue. Please note the time that it started, if possible.

2) Are you running any other monitoring software at all?

1) Absolutely. I'll turn this on tonight and play around and get back to you. Would you mind pointing me in the direction of how to turn that on? I don't recall seeing a logging option inside the UI. I'll check the FAQ later tonight though if it's common knowledge.

2) Define monitoring please. I do have Razer Synapse going and it does do heatmaps for mouse movements. If you mean purely monitoring computer hardware components then no I don't. I'll double check to make sure though.

One thing to note. In my original post I was so confident that "10 minutes" later it would happen again and stop reporting. After posting I went and watched some TV for an hour before going to bed, and I left my comp running to see and it had not frozen.

It freezes very consistently while playing games though. I can confirm this freezing in PUBG, Rocket League and Stellaris so I don't think it's games related. It's most noticeable with Rocket League since the games are so short I remember to check more often.

1) For the logging option, go to Settings. It's in the "General" tab. That's also where you export the logs.

2) Yes, I mean something monitoring hardware components. HWInfo, Aida, etc.

One more question: you mentioned that it happens when playing games. What does your CPU usage look like while you are playing the games?

I don't have anything else running then.

My CPU usage is very high while gaming. My processor is fairly weak unfortunately. I do keep erroneous programs at a minimum when gaming though. Discord is open and maybe a few tabs in Firefox and whatever game of choice.

Rocket League is probably the least resource intensive game I play right now, runs very smoothly but I do experience this issue with this game. I can get more accurate numbers for you later of course.

And just to say it, I never experienced this issue with Corsair Link. While gaming I would always hear my fan speeds adjust up and down as needed. It was very stable.

Tonight's experience was a bit different. It happened only twice. It actually happened again as I was originally writing this post so I had to change it's contents a bit.

There are no noticeable messages in either the trace log or error log at the bottom. I've had the trace log open all night and I saw that it writes an entry fairly often, like once a second or so. It's completely stopped.

Last entry in the trace log is 11:26pm and I noticed a moment or two ago at 11:28pm.

I will say there are a lot of exceptions coming from my H115i (should I be concerned?)

The first zip is everything since I installed iCUE up to the last freeze, and the second zip is when I restarted the service.

Service logs_BeforeRestart.zip

Service logs_AfterRestart.zip

I am having the exact same issue as OP. I have a 7700k, rx 480, 16Gb ram. Cpu usage is never maxed out. icue randomly stops updating the graphs. Only way to fix it is to either use task manager to close corsair service or restart my comp.

Same deal here. iCUE has updated once or twice since I started using it a month or two back, and this issue is still around. I sorta expected this to be a big issue and be resolved by now, seeing as how it breaks its ability to adjust cooling and system monitoring.

In any of these cases, are any of y'all running any other monitoring tools?

Aida? HWInfo? Anything else at all?

I typically see these issues when another monitoring app is trying to access the Corsair hardware. This causes a failure when the service tries to access the hardware at the same time and then things just go south from there.

I typically see these issues when another monitoring app is trying to access the Corsair hardware. This causes a failure when the service tries to access the hardware at the same time and then things just go south from there.

I am. I will try turning them off and see what happens. I believe I am only running coretemp and the hardware monitor from EVGA's precision XOC. But speaking of precision XOC, do i have to turn it off completely? or just the hardware monitoring?

More: iCUE crashed again. I'll try turning off EVGA precision XOC completely now

Edited by CasuallyIntense
Addendum

Oh, EVGA XOC has caused issues. See the Liquid Cooler FAQ.

Do you have a Corsair AIO?

EVGA XOC was completely closed and it the monitoring still froze

Yeah, I do have a Corsair AIO - H100i v2

Edit: LED sync on the main XOC window is grayed out. As are the "Appearance LED" and "Thermal LED" tabs within the application settings. Nothing else within each of the XOC's settings tabs say anything about LED sync. tl;dr I think the LED sync isn't available to me anyway

But it's not the cooler that isn't working. All of the monitoring on iCUE stops. As per OP, this issue isn't limited to just the cooler.

The driver is required for monitoring. If the driver crashes/freezes/whatever, the monitoring will freeze.

No other monitoring Tools at all. iCUE can work well for hours and suddenly freez. Do i Close iCUE and Corsair Service and strart them up again it can go for a while then freezes again.

The driver is required for monitoring. If the driver crashes/freezes/whatever, the monitoring will freeze.

Are you sure the Corsair USBXp driver is what would be needed to monitor Motherboard and CPU temps?

In any case, I did disable and re-enable the driver and it did nothing. Only a corsairservice restart in services will cause monitoring to work again. But it inevitably froze some time later anyway

Update: I restarted driver as you said, but also stopped the corsair service, AND closed icue. Then i turned icue back on without restarting service manually. EVGA XOC is on (but not the "HWM" hardware monitor) and the monitoring seems to be flawless so far. But I haven't minimized icue to tray yet (i usually minimize iCUE and later notice the monitoring stops after opening dashboard again)

2nd Update: iCUE's monitoring ran just fine for an entire day - never minimized it to tray since I got it working early today / late last night. I minimized it to tray an hour or two ago. I just opened it again to find that all the temperature and fan speed monitoring graphs are flat. i.e. monitoring has froze. Perhaps something in the minimizing to or being in a minimized to tray state, breaks it? It can't be bringing it out of minimized-to-tray, because all the graphs are flat, which means it happened a while ago.

Update

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to return and see if there was anything new. I am fairly certain I don't have any other monitoring tools running.

To add to CasuallyIntense comment, I have been leaving the dashboard open on another monitor. I never minimize iCUE to tray. When I was testing while playing Rocket League I would glance over at the graphs when some kind of stoppage in play would occur (goal, death, game over...) and that was when I'd see it happen.

I am kind of interested in the relation to the Corsair AIO because I have one also. Could someone clarify what they mean by restarting the driver? Device Manager disable and re-enable?

Just wanted to return and see if there was anything new. I am fairly certain I don't have any other monitoring tools running.

To add to CasuallyIntense comment, I have been leaving the dashboard open on another monitor. I never minimize iCUE to tray. When I was testing while playing Rocket League I would glance over at the graphs when some kind of stoppage in play would occur (goal, death, game over...) and that was when I'd see it happen.

I am kind of interested in the relation to the Corsair AIO because I have one also. Could someone clarify what they mean by restarting the driver? Device Manager disable and re-enable?

I didn't wanna add update after update especially since it looked like thread wasn't active anymore...

But since then, even having iCUE open and never minimized to tray, and restarting the corsair service, the monitoring graphs will still eventually flatline. Any hope i have of this software working properly is slowly diminishing