Corsair Community

Making profiles compatible with older versions of iCUE

Piplos

I had tons of beautiful personalized profiles in iCUE 3.2.87

Since I'm tired of the rainbow and other bugs which didn't get fixed in the latest update I did a roll-back to 3.1.133. The problem is I can't import the 3.2.87 profiles into a previous version of iCUE.

Can I somehow edit those profiles to make them compatible with the previous version?

I see a lot of users wanting to do a roll-back but they're stuck with the new version because the older versions are not accepting newer profiles, so this thread could be useful for many of us.

The profiles ARE incompatible per se. It is possible you tagged your export with something an earlier version of iCUE cannot read. YES, definitely tagged and tainted. iCUE 3.287 to iCUE 3.3.103 is a one way trip. Use caution. Make back-ups before you try.

Works for other things, not iCUE 3.3. :(:

Go back to the version of iCUE you used to create your profiles. You may have to re-import them. Redo your icons, programs Links, etc. Then go into your C: User/(name)/App Data (hidden folder)/Roaming/Corsair and grab the CUE folder stashed in there. Make a copy and paste it somewhere safe. This can be dropped back into that same location for other versions of iCUE. The benefit is the links and icons remain in take and it is a lot faster than re-importing everything. I am going back and forth almost once a week and have probably done 25-30 swaps. No problems so far.

The profiles are not incompatible per se. It is possible you tagged your export with something an earlier version of iCUE cannot read. Regardless, I usually suggest something different for the hoping back and forth between iCUE, CUE 2, & Link.

Go back to the version of iCUE you used to create your profiles. You may have to re-import them. Redo your icons, programs Links, etc. Then go into your C: User/(name)/App Data (hidden folder)/Roaming/Corsair and grab the CUE folder stashed in there. Make a copy and paste it somewhere safe. This can be dropped back into that same location for other versions of iCUE. The benefit is the links and icons remain in take and it is a lot faster than re-importing everything. I am going back and forth almost once a week and have probably done 25-30 swaps. No problems so far.

Nice to know. It also works between iCUE and CUE 2?

Nice to know. It also works between iCUE and CUE 2?

No once a profile goes to iCUE you can not go back to CUE 2. You can update from CUE 2 to iCUE. However, expect possible XML file changes at any point that might make downgrading impossible.

Yes, there are things like fan lighting and such that are not compatible or not applicable. Keep a separate file for CUE 2 and iCUE. The file location is the same for both, so take some care in storing them and labeling them. Still, a lot faster than re-importing.

Yes, there are things like fan lighting and such that are not compatible or not applicable. Keep a separate file for CUE 2 and iCUE. The file location is the same for both, so take some care in storing them and labeling them. Still, a lot faster than re-importing.

c-attack: is this confirmed between the current and previous version of iCue?

NOPE. WRONG. Don't do this. It won't work.

It has worked thus far through a high number of switches. As 3.3 just launched, I have not yet made the switch back to 3.2, but it would be rather stunning if something has changed regarding the profile save format. Unless someone knows something I don't...

It's what I said in the fix thread from @solarity. They changed something in the format between this versions and I can't find a way to migrate or convert the new one to the old one.

Are you talking about exporting/importing or the base file folder swap?

OMG. You are right. I just rolled back and the folder swap does not work. All files are tainted the moment they enter iCUE 3.3. Changing values is not required.

I am sorry, but regardless if this was necessary or not, you MUST give some heads up warning for that kind of thing. There is no possible end outcome other than a lot of very angry people and a ton of creative hours lost. Any kind of action that is irreparable must come with a some kind of notification. When do we not do this? You guys can be as busy as you want, but if you can't get patch notes up, notifications out, etc., then you are not ready to release the software.

I am fortunate enough to have back up copies for each and every version, but even then it took some micro-managing to get my 3.2 profiles back up. At least I can see my Color Wave pattern again. I will amend my erroneous suggestions.

Yeah, I always backed up my profiles in every version, but for some unexplainable reason I didn't do it for 3.2.87 and have to create them all again, but only create my default until now. You know, laziness to do everything again...

@c-attack: I tried to do the AppData trick with no luck

I tried by restoring all my 3.2.87 profiles into a 3.2.87 installation, then I wanted to rollback to a rainbow-free version (3.1.133). So I backupped the CUE folder, uninstalled 3.2.87 and installed 3.1.133, then restored the CUE folder, opened iCUE and... I found only one profile of the twenty I restored.

Did I miss something, or did something wrong?

@c-attack: I tried to do the AppData trick with no luck

I tried by restoring all my 3.2.87 profiles into a 3.2.87 installation, then I wanted to rollback to a rainbow-free version (3.1.133). So I backupped the CUE folder, uninstalled 3.2.87 and installed 3.1.133, then restored the CUE folder, opened iCUE and... I found only one profile of the twenty I restored.

Did I miss something, or did something wrong?

No, it doesn't work at all. The moment you install and then launch iCUE 3.3, ALL of your profiles are tagged and cannot be dropped back into earlier versions. It is a one way conversion. The file drop will work if you have a saved copy of old CUE 2 profiles or a pristine version of 3.1 or 3.2 files, but anything in the folder with 3.3 is altered and cannot be used with any other version.

No, it doesn't work at all. The moment you install and then launch iCUE 3.3, ALL of your profiles are tagged and cannot be dropped back into earlier versions. It is a one way conversion. The file drop will work if you have a saved copy of old CUE 2 profiles or a pristine version of 3.1 or 3.2 files, but anything in the folder with 3.3 is altered and cannot be used with any other version.

I knew that, but I'm not using 3.3. Those profiles were exported when I was in 3.2.87, before updating to 3.3 and uninstalling that because of the CPU load bug. All profiles are still 3.2.87 and I'm trying to rolling them back to 3.1.133 with the AppData trick, but they are not showing up when I install 3.1.133, like they are incompatible. I need a way to import those complex lighting settings, I don't want to recreate them from scratch

I knew that, but I'm not using 3.3. Those profiles were exported when I was in 3.2.87, before updating to 3.3 and uninstalling that because of the CPU load bug. All profiles are still 3.2.87 and I'm trying to rolling them back to 3.1.133 with the AppData trick, but they are not showing up when I install 3.1.133, like they are incompatible. I need a way to import those complex lighting settings, I don't want to recreate them from scratch

Its usually not possible to roll back like that for the most part. Any XML change will kill any chance of rolling back.

NOPE. WRONG. Don't do this. It won't work.

It has worked thus far through a high number of switches. As 3.3 just launched, I have not yet made the switch back to 3.2, but it would be rather stunning if something has changed regarding the profile save format. Unless someone knows something I don't...

The amount of panicked posts is quite difficult to make my through in my own panicked state having just encountered the issue. I backed my profiles up but not until after the update to 3.3.103 with no previous backup under 3.3.87! The intention for backup was rolling back to 3.2.87 in case something went wrong. Now because the profiles were backed up under 3.3 they cannot be imported back into 3.2.87. So I haven't quite been able to determine, is that not going to happen?

Is the data in in %appdata%\Corsair\CUE\profiles also supposed to be a copy of user profiles? After the update to 3.3 that data remained the same but none of my profiles appeared in CUE. Even after the roll back to 3.2.87 the unchanged %appdata%\Corsair\CUE\profiles has no impact on CUE with the profiles remaining empty??

It seems like the %appdata%\Corsair\CUE\profiles get's corrupted during the 3.3.103 update process maybe.. If your fortunate to have a Macrium system image backup prior to the update restoring the whole %appdata%\Corsair\ from your backup will restore everything.. I realise some people may not and this won't help :/

Edit: Another thought is there is something within the %appdata%\Corsair that's get changed or added preventing the profiles from working. If I get a chance I may have a dig and look for it.

Archived