Corsair Community

PSA: VOID Wireless in Bootloader Mode and How to Recover it

Hi everyone,

After doing an investigation we have found out that what may be causing VOID Wireless to go into bootloader mode when charging. When plugging VOID wireless in for charging, while holding onto any button - the headset will go into bootloader mode (thanks @Nicklez for identifying this). Please refrain from pressing any buttons while plugging the headset in. be careful with finger placement when plugging headset in! If any button is press and held while inserting the USB cable in, your headset will be in bootloader mode!!!!

As of now, bootloader mode will not have any indication if it is in this mode except it will not appear to power on, generate audio, or have the lights turn on. In other words, it'll look like the headset has stopped working. Bootloader mode is implemented as a fail safe, so that headset can still be recovered in case of "bricking" or a bad firmware update, etc.

Our next steps to how we're dealing with bootloader mode... we're looking into having a visual indicator if the headset is in bootloader mode so that users will be able to identify what's going on with their headsets right away. We are also looking into different sequences to enter bootloader mode. (So instead of pressing the mute button and plugging it in, users have to press multiple buttons and plug it in). We're also exploring the idea of having bootloader mode only available when plugged in via USB.

Here are the instructions how to recover VOID from bootloader mode:

You will need to have CUE 1.11.85 or newer. You can find the newest version of CUE at corsair.com/download

1. Open up CUE
  2. Go to SETTING
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23024&d=1444951590
  3. Under SETTING, find and click "DEVICE"
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23025&d=1444951696
  4. Under this screen you will see VOID WIRELESS. Click "Update firmware"
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23026&d=1444951702
  5. Select "Force update from the server" option, and proceed with update
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23028&d=1444951714
  6. Connect headset when prompted in CUE.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23027&d=1444951708
  7. Let it update.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23029&d=1444951720
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23030&d=1444951724
    Once the firmware has been updated you will need to put your headset and dongle in pairing mode.

For the headset: make sure the headset is turned off, once it is off press and hold the power button until the InfoMic flashes green and red. Please use this video as reference: [ame]

[/ame]

For the dongle: you will need to insert a paperclip into the hole under the LED. Press and hold until the LED flashes rapidly. Please use this video as reference: [ame]

[/ame]

After the two devices pair, the LED on the dongle will be solid white.

CUE_Setting.png.22a9b96da12029d5a650d28b94f719ea.png

CUE_Device.png.4f15d13d758d5264940b9267cf9bbc78.png

CUE_UpdateFW.png.d128dbd12932dac334515ab731e331cb.png

CUE_ConnectHeadset.png.89098895a0c29e5d8282e62d7bfe427a.png

CUE_ForceUpdateFW.png.339fa117277e0c602280d1760cff82f6.png

CUE_UpdateStatus.png.007358acf0ea220a1a683dfb444fc9fc.png

CUE_Success.png.3258b0dc33ba0b40314a8ff019d8cb11.png

Edited by Corsair Chris

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris Today my Corsair VOID Wireless DOLBY 7.1 Gaminng headset carbon/Black stopped working. No power and won't turn on. The charging lights don't come on even after charging it over night. I think is bootloader mode? Can you help me please!!! Software version is 1.10.67 but I cant see the firmware version? status not conected!!!

Hi everyone,

After doing an investigation we have found out that what may be causing VOID Wireless to go into bootloader mode when charging. When plugging VOID wireless in for charging, while holding onto the mute button - the headset will go into bootloader mode (thanks @Nicklez for identifying this). Please refrain from pressing any buttons while plugging the headset in.

As of now, bootloader mode will not have any indication if it is in this mode except it will not appear to power on, generate audio, or have the lights turn on. In other words, it'll look like the headset has stopped working. Bootloader mode is implemented as a fail safe, so that headset can still be recovered in case of "bricking" or a bad firmware update, etc.

Currently there are two ways to recover the headset, let the battery fully drain (since it is in bootloader mode it will take roughly 2-3 days) or manually flashing the headset to the most recent firmware. In order to flash it, I request that you send me PM with your email and which color of the headset you have (yellow jacket or carbon/black) so that I can share the firmware file with you.

We understand that this an inconvenience which is why we're looking into different options to resolve this. For the next CUE update (v1.11x) users will be able to manually flashing the headset without having to have the firmware file.

Our next steps to how we're dealing with bootloader mode... we're looking into having a visual indicator if the headset is in bootloader mode so that users will be able to identify what's going on with their headsets right away. We are also looking into different sequences to enter bootloader mode. (So instead of pressing the mute button and plugging it in, users have to press multiple buttons and plug it in). We're also exploring the idea of having bootloader mode only available when plugged in via USB.

So, for all those who've read this thread... be careful with finger placement when plugging headset in! If mute button is press and held while inserting the USB cable in, your headset will be in bootloader mode!!!!

That is all.

Hi Chris it appears as though my headset has gone into bootloader mode, i will send you a PM

Hi Chris Today my Corsair VOID Wireless DOLBY 7.1 Gaminng headset carbon/Black stopped working. No power and won't turn on. The charging lights don't come on even after charging it over night. I think is bootloader mode? Can you help me please!!! Software version is 1.10.67 but I cant see the firmware version? status not conected!!!

Yep, that's bootloader mode. PM me with your email address and I'll send you instructions to fix it.

I am having the same issue Chris. I just bought the VOID yellowjacket a few days ago and now after charging all day while I am at work the VOID won't power up and is indicating no lights at all. & I loved it until this happened! But this is pretty irritating unfortunately. PM sent mate.

~Toxic

Can anyone PM me with the fix to the VOID Yellowjacket? I would really like to use my void today.

And Corsair, can y'all just make a tutorial post on how to flash the VOID without waiting a few days to here back from a Corsair rep.

Thanks

Edited by Toxic505

Hi

I think I'm experiencing this problem, but I'm not actually sure.

When connecting my headset to my pc, Win 10 complains about the device "descriptor" and device manager identifies the error as "error 43".

I tried connecting the headset to another Win 10 pc and got the same error.

I have the same problem. You say flash the firmware, but how are you supposed to do that if you can't turn the device on in the first place?

As far as fails go this one is monumental, i can't believe i paid top price for a product that has an issue that can be fixed by "waiting 2-3 days". Not Happy and considering returning them.

I have the same problem. You say flash the firmware, but how are you supposed to do that if you can't turn the device on in the first place?

As far as fails go this one is monumental, i can't believe i paid top price for a product that has an issue that can be fixed by "waiting 2-3 days". Not Happy and considering returning them.

If the headset is in bootloader mode, it is powered on.

Edited by Corsair Chris

Hi

I think I'm experiencing this problem, but I'm not actually sure.

When connecting my headset to my pc, Win 10 complains about the device "descriptor" and device manager identifies the error as "error 43".

I tried connecting the headset to another Win 10 pc and got the same error.

Send me a PM with screen shots.

Hi everyone,

After doing an investigation we have found out that what may be causing VOID Wireless to go into bootloader mode when charging. When plugging VOID wireless in for charging, while holding onto any button - the headset will go into bootloader mode (thanks @Nicklez for identifying this). Please refrain from pressing any buttons while plugging the headset in. be careful with finger placement when plugging headset in! If any button is press and held while inserting the USB cable in, your headset will be in bootloader mode!!!!

Here are the instructions how to recover VOID from bootloader mode:

You will need to have CUE 1.11.85 or newer. You can find the newest version of CUE at corsair.com/download

1. Open up CUE
  2. Go to SETTING
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23024&d=1444951590
  3. Under SETTING, find and click "DEVICE"
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23025&d=1444951696
  4. Under this screen you will see VOID WIRELESS. Click "Update firmware"
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23026&d=1444951702
  5. Select "Force update from the server" option, and proceed with update
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23028&d=1444951714
  6. Connect headset when prompted in CUE.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23027&d=1444951708
  7. Let it update.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23029&d=1444951720
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23030&d=1444951724
    Once the firmware has been updated you will need to put your headset and dongle in pairing mode.

For the headset: make sure the headset is turned off, once it is off press and hold the power button until the InfoMic flashes green and red. Please use this video as reference:

For the dongle: you will need to insert a paperclip into the hole under the LED. Press and hold until the LED flashes rapidly. Please use this video as reference:

After the two devices pair, the LED on the dongle will be solid white.

I dont know how to private message you.

I bought my corsair void yellow jacket headset a few months ago.

I was referred to by a corsair employee (who had hands on worked on testing this headset and creating it. his name is Carlos) to buy this headset.

So I bought it. But it never worked right. I returned it and bought another one. It had the same issue. The lights have never worked right and it doesnt ever light up or do what it says its supposed to. but i heard sound and the mic worked and at the urging of the corsair employee i kept it. He promised to get me a new one or help me fix this one. But he said it sounded like it was in demo mode or something.

Now i did the update and it doesnt work at all. i tried restarting my comp. turning the headset on and off. pairing it with the dongle again by placing the dongle and headset into pairing mode (exactly what you said to do in the forum) nothing works. but its hard to know when its even in pairing mode because the lights dont work right.

Please help me. I am tired of having issues with this headset. please call or email directly at .

I tried to create a support ticket, but the submit button doesnt work.

Oh and my options in the cue dont have the option to force update. it wants me to browse for some file or image.. I dont understand any of this. I just want a working headset and for the $150.00 i paid for this, that shouldnt be too much to ask for.

And no matter what i turn on or off the cue doesnt ever say my headset is connected. It always says its "not connected".

Edited by Technobeard

Oh and my options in the cue dont have the option to force update. it wants me to browse for some file or image.. I dont understand any of this. I just want a working headset and for the $150.00 i paid for this, that shouldnt be too much to ask for.

And no matter what i turn on or off the cue doesnt ever say my headset is connected. It always says its "not connected".

Hey bunnzii, you'll need to download the most recent version of CUE. You can download that at corsair.com/downloads. Once you have that try the process again.

No luck for me. I couldn't get past step 6 (Connect headset when prompted in CUE) CUE never recognizes that the headset is connect by USB. This was after a failed firmware update. The headset just appears to be dead. Also, tried the repair with the dongle from the other threads and reinstalling CUE, but neither helped.

Hey bunnzii, you'll need to download the most recent version of CUE. You can download that at corsair.com/downloads. Once you have that try the process again.

I did download it. I forced the update. still nothing.

I tried pairing it again and restarting my computer etc etc.

Still dont work.

Again its hard to know when my headphones are in pairing mode because they dont light up properly because I was told by a corsair employee my headphones look and seem like they are stuck in "demo" mode.

I just wish I could get someone 3who knows about this stuff to skype me so they can see I am not crazy. lol

No luck for me. I couldn't get past step 6 (Connect headset when prompted in CUE) CUE never recognizes that the headset is connect by USB. This was after a failed firmware update. The headset just appears to be dead. Also, tried the repair with the dongle from the other threads and reinstalling CUE, but neither helped.

This is almost EXACTLY what happened to me.

and I have done everything listed to resolve the matter, still nothing.

This is almost EXACTLY what happened to me.

and I have done everything listed to resolve the matter, still nothing.

I left my headset unplugged for the weekend then I was able to follow the update firmware and the repair to the dongle steps. I'm assuming I had to wait for the headset battery to die. I'm not sure how long it takes for the battery to die but for me it was about the 48 hour mark when I noticed it did.

Hey Chris, what if I can't get CUE to recognize that my headset is plugged in via the USB cable? This fix doesn't do anything if I can't get passed that step...

Do you have the yellowjacket or the wireless without the base station?

Hey Chris, what if I can't get CUE to recognize that my headset is plugged in via the USB cable? This fix doesn't do anything if I can't get passed that step...

You can try one of two things, but none of them are ideal.

1) Unplug the headset, while the headset is powered off, press and hold the mute button and plug the headset back in using the USB cable. Then try doing the Recovery Process from step 1.

2) Leave the headset unplugged for about a day and try process again tomorrow. So that the battery can fully drain.

Like I mentioned, it's not ideal and we should be getting new FW soon that should resolve the issue with the headset not being detected by CUE.

I have the wireless black one without the base.

I'll try to see what happens with letting it die out. Going to also start up an RMA for a refund. This kinda thing shouldn't happen :sigh!:

Also having this same problem and the mute button plus plugging in combo is not working. Don't really have time to wait for this to drain battery and If I do end up doing this what do I have to do when the battery drains. Has anyone found a good fix yet?