Corsair Community

High Temps with H60?

wdcook3

Just wanted to see how normal these temps were. Recently recieved the H60 from a friend as a gift and didn't know if sitting around 40c idle and around 70c while gaming at 40% load was normal.

I have the Pump connected to the CPU_OPT on the Maximus VI Hero and the radiator connected to the CPU_FAN. I read on another forum that the OPT should provide the constant 12v that the pump wants. Not sure how correct that is, I had to disable a cpu fan warning in bios too after hooking it up like this. You can see that I did not mess the Fan control in bios either.

It's a cheaper case with 2 front intake fans and a push/pull setup on the back with the h60, no optional top or bottom fans. Are these temps normal, did a hook something up wrong or should I wait for the GC-extreme thermal paste to come in tomorrow and redo the arctic silver 5? Thanks a ton!

55441115_369248693674036_1822005331182485504_n.jpg.d9a8a77e9d4ec5ab7822b7139572b233.jpg

55485936_328904497764419_3129108658407866368_n.thumb.jpg.5b4ea5559c93c7c59df2b06f09758b78.jpg

55611103_2245866212408769_5048167850909368320_n.jpg.38c2bcc8e7d5013fa13a077b2ee63603.jpg

It's likely you are cutting voltage to the pump and that is negatively affecting performance. On Asus boards, OPT is a mirror or copy cat of CPU_FAN. You've noticed you have no direct control over OPT. On the other hand, you've set the CPU Fan to run on a fan curve, so it is doing the same thing to the pump. CPU/OPT is not going to work for this combination. Put the pump header on CPU Fan, then set the fan control to "disabled", Full Speed, or any other way your board shows 100% fan signal. That will keep the pump at the necessary 12v. Move the radiator fan to a CHA fan header. You can do it the other way if there is some advantage for header location or control.

Never read about OPT and CPU headers being mirrored, thanks for clearing that up! If I set the pump to disabled in the CHA I connect it to is there anything I need to do to the fan speed limit or fan profile or will those just be disabled after?

Also is there anything else I can hook up to CPU_OPT to get the extra fan slot? Just hook up a front case fan and let it run at 100%? Again, thanks a lot!

If there was another fan you wanted to run at the same speed and based off CPU temperature, than CPU and OPT could both take case fans (like two on the radiator). Of course, you can do the same on a CHA fan header with a splitter.

Unfortunately, OPT is pretty much wasted unless you are running a dual fan CPU air cooler. The CPU header typically will only offer CPU temp as a control variable and specifically on Asus boards may follow some hidden parameters. I am not sure if you have "fan delays" to prevent the fan from jumping up and down, but they typically do not work on CPU fan, even when they should. I've never been happy running fans from CPU/OPT going back the last 6 or 7 years, except when it was an air cooler.OPT has been sitting vacant for a long time. Funny enough now all of my motherboard headers are vacant in a full custom loop and fan control comes from elsewhere.

I'm running a push/pull config on the radiator that is mounted on the back blowing air out. Any way hooking those two fans to CPU and OPT and setting those and putting the pump on a CHA and putting it to 100% would be fine then? Again highly appreciate the input, I've learned quite a bit.

You can run the two radiator fans at any speed you see fit. You don’t need them to react to cpu temp spikes. Slow to medium steady speeds will keep the heat flowing out of the H60. You don’t need to be super aggressive on the fan curve.
  • Confused 1