Corsair Community

Volume Keeps Changing

Zarken

Hey,

I've been having problems with my volume for some time now.. every now and again the volume levels increase to go higher, I cannot pin the problem down, could someone help?

I'm using VOID Wireless if that helps in anyway.

Thanks.

So welcome guys to the world of Asus motherboards. You can find a big thread at Asus Rog Forum about this issue. Speaking briefly looks like there is a failure between Realtek codecs provided to Asus motherboards (if you go to Realtek software I think you will see Asus branded interface. I have Rog Strix z270 so I think it's the same story with your Z97). The issue is that if you don't set-up your headset as a default audio device and use it to change volume level so it may lead to random change of sound level for any particular application including system sounds. If you choose your headset as your default audio device and change level volume by using sound button on your headset so all is working fine. For example, I've just returned my Void headset and bought another one from another manufacturer. In this headset there is a volume slider which increase or decrease headset sound level on the hardware level and not software level. By the way I had Gigabyte motherboard which used legacy Realtek drivers and never had any issues with sound. With Asus motherboard I already faced with several audio issues and not sure that I will consider Asus products as same as Corsair products in the future. Edited by Bra1nstorM

So welcome guys to the world of Asus motherboards. You can find a big thread at Asus Rog Forum about this issue. Speaking briefly looks like there is a failure between Realtek codecs provided to Asus motherboards (if you go to Realtek software I think you will see Asus branded interface. I have Rog Strix z270 so I think it's the same story with your Z97). The issue is that if you don't set-up your headset as a default audio device and use it to change volume level so it may lead to random change of sound level for any particular application including system sounds. If you choose your headset as your default audio device and change level volume by using sound button on your headset so all is working fine. For example, I've just returned my Void headset and bought another one from another manufacturer. In this headset there is a volume slider which increase or decrease headset sound level on the hardware level and not software level. By the way I had Gigabyte motherboard which used legacy Realtek drivers and never had any issues with sound. With Asus motherboard I already faced with several audio issues and not sure that I will consider Asus products as same as Corsair products in the future.

Thank you for the response..

so the fix it to set the headset as the default device? if so i've already done that? :S

As I understood the only one way to fix it is to switch to another motherboard from other manufacturer. :) I also faced with that issue also when my headset was a default audio device. For example, after my PC wake up after sleep mode or when I changed volume on my headset in some games. Since my problem is gone when I changed the headset so I didn't investigate this issue much. I don't know is there any chance to install legacy realtek driver on Asus motherboards but you can go to Asus Rog Forum and try to find the solution. That all that I can suggest.

• 1 year later...

Hi! I have the same issue. I noticed that if I disable the Dolby Headphone feature in CUE, the problem disappears. So at least in my case, it's something related to that specific setting. I don't know how much "better" the sound is with that feature switched on, anyway.

I opened a ticket with Corsair support, describing the problem in detail and linking to the various forum threads regarding the issue. They only replied back asking for a photo copy of my warranty, which I doubt I'd be able to dig up. It makes no sense to me why they would need to verify my warranty in order to answer a software issue, but there it is.

• 1 year later...