Corsair Community

VOID Mic Boom Sensitivity Improvement

Hi,

I had the H2000 headphones followed by the H2100 headphones, both had a horrible buzz when charging and using the mic. The volume on the mic was very low on both of them too.

My H2100 set has now stopped charging and I'm waiting for an RMA label on that to return it and get it replaced.

Meanwhile I thought I'd try the VOID headset and purchased a set yesterday after my H2100 were pronounced dead... and they arrived today BUT despite already knowing about the bendable boom having had the previous 2 models and setting it to an angle between P3 and P4 in your examples (my head is wider so can't achieve P4), and pumping the gain to 100% in Win 10 sound->recording->properties->etc, the mic volume is still way too low even for comms use, let alone voice attack (which I have retrained under windows speech recognition) because it does not always detect my voice.

Please can I ask politely Corsair.. are you actually going to address this with software? (before you jump to conclusions, yes, software and firmware updated to latest version today) or should I (an avid Corsair fan in general) give up and return the Void set as not fit for purpose and get a more efficiently microphoned set from A.N.Other manufacturer?

Note, I have followed the forum rules within this post, the return/RMA policy for the H2100 (which when replaced will become my backup pair) to the letter, so please do have the courtesy to respond, even if it is with a "we can't fix it with software". I only have 14 days to return the headset if I need to so I'd appreciate a rapid response.

Thank you in advance of your kind and honest response.

Edited by MrPix

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I game in the same room as my husband and when we are in the same party every one says that they can hear an echo from my headset. I have the mic settings on the xbox set all the way down. I was going to try a muffie but i cant seem to find one that fits to see if it will help. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Any new update on how to fix any of this? Been searching for days and still running into nothing. I'm honestly probably going to return it in a day or two if not.

What makes mine weird is I have no issue with Skype or steam or anything. But Windows itself and any recording software just can't hear me unless the mic is in my mouth and im breaking on it, which frankly is unacceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Corsair. You have failed this customer.

I'll just get right to it and say that I am severely disappointed with the quality of the Microphone on the VOID Wireless headset. The volume is way too low and there is no dB boost option available, as you are well aware. :mad:

Please understand this:

Nobody cares that your audiophile geeks in the lab have objections, OK? We need a dB boost to fix this problem, so just give us the option. The suggested solution of moving the microphone closer to the mouth is utter, nonsensical crap. The closer it gets to the mouth (and under the nose), the more "noise" it picks up, because human beings need to breathe. Either way, giving us the "option" doesn't hurt anyone, so get at it.

In my country, we have a policy that allows us 14 days to regret any purchase and receive a full refund, without any limitations, no reason required. If you don't fix this problem within that time frame, you'll be giving me my money back, whether you want to or not.

Edited by Hoodling

The mic is greatly improved if it's sitting basically on my mouth... I find this to be unacceptable honestly.

I don't understand how calling a microphone noise cancelling can be a truth if it's simply so insensitive that it CAN'T pick up any noise to actually cancel out... seems like a bit of a misdirection to me.

I don't understand why they wouldn't add a boost feature or even just increase the sensitivity of the mic as an OPTION to users who would like to use it. Those who don't want to use it can simply choose not to.

I'm hopeful some sort of boost will be added. I got the VOID wireless set as a replacement for my g930 because the g930 has so many issues with crackling audio to me, but the mic was superb. Now with the VOID, the mic is iffy at best, but the audio is superb lol. I feel like I can't win!

I have to agree with the above 100%.

I am very impressed with Corsair products in general.

I have an 800D case, a 650D case, Two H100i water coolers. Corsair Commander Mini, Multiple Corsair Fans, Two AX1200i PSU's, a Strafe RGB and K70 keyboard, a mouse mat, an M65 and M65Pro RGB mouse ... and now a Void Wirerless RGB Headset.

I have spent a fair amount of my money on Corsair products as you can see above. I am even thinking of buying your Memory and SSD now because of the Overal Quality of your products.

I really like this lots of features on this Void Wireless RGB Headset. The Build Quality, Comfort Level and fit, the RGB led's look great , Control buttons on the headset. The infomic. Obviously I was impressed as I bought one.

I realise this is a new product, but there are 4 things that really let this headset down in my opinion. This is the first time I have felt I have had to complain about a Corsair product.

(1). My major complaint. The mic is terrible. It is almost completely useless on my headset. I practically have to push the mic onto my lips / eat my mic to get it to work with acceptable volume. Please get some form of software fix to boost the audio pickup. The sound quality of the mic on my headset is awful. I sound like an "airline pilot speaker" when using this mic. Can this be improved using software somehow?

(2). The Wireless USB receiver Stick for the headset has a very bright white LED light which is really annoying when plugged into the USB feedthrough port on my Strafe Keyboard. Is there any way the firmware could be updated so that it is possible to turn the light off?

(3). Is there any way to adjust the left/right audio balance on the VOID headset please? This is really important for users with hearing loss disability in one ear. They need to be able to adjust volume level in one side of headset speaker versus the other. Inability to adjust the volume balance on the headset, means they are effectively single earphone, there is no ability to experience "stereo".

(4). Although I have to update the Firmware on this wireless headset by connecting it via a USB data cable, I am unable to use the USB data cable connection to listen to audio. I am unable to use the Wireless headset with wireless turned off /without using the USB wireless receiver using a USB connection. Why is this? Could this not be fixed with software/firmware update please?

Thanks

Edited by colesdav

I have to agree with the above 100%.

I am very impressed with Corsair products in general.

I have an 800D case, a 650D case, Two H100i water coolers. Corsair Commander Mini, Multiple Corsair Fans, Two AX1200i PSU's, a Strafe RGB and K70 keyboard, a mouse mat, an M65 and M65Pro RGB mouse ... and now a Void Wirerless RGB Headset.

I have spent a fair amount of my money on Corsair products as you can see above. I am even thinking of buying your Memory and SSD now because of the Overal Quality of your products.

I really like this lots of features on this Void Wireless RGB Headset. The Build Quality, Comfort Level and fit, the RGB led's look great , Control buttons on the headset. The infomic. Obviously I was impressed as I bought one.

I realise this is a new product, but there are 4 things that really let this headset down in my opinion. This is the first time I have felt I have had to complain about a Corsair product.

(1). My major complaint. The mic is terrible. It is almost completely useless on my headset. I practically have to push the mic onto my lips / eat my mic to get it to work with acceptable volume. Please get some form of software fix to boost the audio pickup. The sound quality of the mic on my headset is awful. I sound like an "airline pilot speaker" when using this mic. Can this be improved using software somehow?

(2). The Wireless USB receiver Stick for the headset has a very bright white LED light which is really annoying when plugged into the USB feedthrough port on my Strafe Keyboard. Is there any way the firmware could be updated so that it is possible to turn the light off?

(3). Is there any way to adjust the left/right audio balance on the VOID headset please? This is really important for users with hearing loss disability in one ear. They need to be able to adjust volume level in one side of headset speaker versus the other. Inability to adjust the volume balance on the headset, means they are effectively single earphone, there is no ability to experience "stereo".

(4). Although I have to update the Firmware on this wireless headset by connecting it via a USB data cable, I am unable to use the USB data cable connection to listen to audio. I am unable to use the Wireless headset with wireless turned off /without using the USB wireless receiver using a USB connection. Why is this? Could this not be fixed with software/firmware update please?

Thanks

I think maybe we're barking up a non-existing tree here. I just noticed the original post is from 2015, and Corsair still haven't done anything about this issue. Technically, they haven't really acknowledged the fact that there's a problem. And given that, I doubt there's a fix in the works. I'm returning this product for a refund if there's no word from Corsair by Monday. I'm not getting stuck with a useless headset waiting for a fix don't come. :cool:

A couple months ago, I purchased the Void Wireless, and I've been very happy with everything about the headset except the microphone. I'm running Windows 10, and have tried basically everything to improve the sensitivity of the mic, with no success. Bending the mic boom, third party apps, nothing seems to improve the situation.

Today, trying once again to fix this problem after coworkers comment they can barely hear me, I noticed something. In CUE, if I turn up the Sidetone slider, I can hear myself perfectly. However, if I go into the Windows device properties and select Listen to this device, I can barely hear anything. Using my previous Logitech headset, it comes through loud and clear in the same circumstances. Obviously, this is an issue revolving around Windows 10, which I imagine is becoming a very large part of the user base.

Are there any efforts at all to attempt to remedy this situation? With a significant portion of my gaming PC being composed of Corsair products, it would be very disappointing if the company was willing to simply let this problem continue.

After much research and gnashing of teeth, I'm confident this is an issue with Microsoft's USB drivers. While I'm still frustrated, I'm happy that this is not the fault of the Void itself, as I really do love everything else about it.

20+ pages of discussion of the issue, including responses from a Microsoft Audio team member.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/low-usb-microphone-recording-volume-at2020-windows/6c63e3a3-e200-4c4c-997f-ebca42402b2c?page=1

I just got a wireless void and immediately noticed (and was told) that my mic was suuuuuuuper low. After finding this forum and having no luck, i continued my search for a solution and stumbled upon a reddit post which said to give this https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo a try... I set mine to +15db and was amazed by the improvement... The noise cancellation still works as well...

So... Here's my 2 cents for what its worth...

P.S. @Corsair Chris, maybe you could forward this to the dev team so they could possibly implement some improvements to the firmware, so 3rd party utils wont need to be used...

• 3 months later...
I just got a wireless void and immediately noticed (and was told) that my mic was suuuuuuuper low. After finding this forum and having no luck, i continued my search for a solution and stumbled upon a reddit post which said to give this https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo a try... I set mine to +15db and was amazed by the improvement... The noise cancellation still works as well...

So... Here's my 2 cents for what its worth...

P.S. @Corsair Chris, maybe you could forward this to the dev team so they could possibly implement some improvements to the firmware, so 3rd party utils wont need to be used...

I tried the Software u linked it worked fine for a week but now it doesnt work at all

PLEASE Corsair make us use a Boosting in the CUE Make it happen QUICK i cant stand another month with these low settings EVERYTHING is maxed and im still a liltle mice in every conversation!!!

Hello everyone.

Yesterday i bought the Corsair VOID USB Dolby 7.1. I plugged it to my computer, installed the CUE and at my first call at Skype, i realised that no one could listen to me. After some experimentation with the settings (Microsoft + CUE), nothing changed. After a restart the microphone didn't work at all + the mute button never worked. I started searching online for the problem and found out this thread. After reading and trying the EqualizerAPO, nothing seemed to change. Today i was ready to send my headset back to the store i got it. So i uninstalled CUE and was ready to pack it, but i wanted to give it a last try. So i plugged it in once again WITHOUT the CUE and everything worked perfectly. Everyone can hear my crystal clear now even when the microphone isn't in front of my mouth. I don't know what the real problem is here, but uninstalling CUE fixed it for me. I hope Corsair will notice there is something wrong with the VOID series and get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
I just got back from bestbuy with the wired Void RGB headset. I purchased it because I needed a headset with sidetone. Even with every setting at the absolute max, I can't hear myself over sidetone unless the mic is inside my mouth. In windows the volume setting for sidetone won't go past 25.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased this headset, in fact i bought two of them... i took mine out the box. followed the instruction manual. plug dongle in. let drivers install reboot pc. go to corsair.com/support/downloads get the latest cue software. install it, and restart. plugged my headset in via charging cable in case it needed updated. and it updated to firmware version 39.02. i hopped in discord. with all my friends / game mates. immediately barraged with: " omg we cant hear you you are so quiet." "if we hold our breath we can hear you." fix your mic. turn the volume up." after all of this drama and messing with this headset for 4 hours. trying to fix it. bending the mic trying many things nothing works, i even googled and found a 3rd party application that boosts a mics sensitivity. this seemed to fix the headset some times. but eventually it would just disappear id have to restart my system for the modification to apply again. i find this to be a very poor design of this headset. and im probably going to just return both these headsets i just purchased. due to the mic being such a hassle for anyone to be able to hear me.

Screenshots of my settings. : https://gyazo.com/a65e647a705344d803f0ce325fd6fd28

https://gyazo.com/637e506ae13a5f43fd31708271a18c73

https://gyazo.com/08f2ef2be70c820b2b60a7a493509085

TLDR im gonna stick to power supplies and maybe keyboards. i probably wont touch another headset if this issue cant be fixed with a firmware update.

Just purchased this headset, in fact i bought two of them... i took mine out the box. followed the instruction manual. plug dongle in. let drivers install reboot pc. go to corsair.com/support/downloads get the latest cue software. install it, and restart. plugged my headset in via charging cable in case it needed updated. and it updated to firmware version 39.02. i hopped in discord. with all my friends / game mates. immediately barraged with: " omg we cant hear you you are so quiet." "if we hold our breath we can hear you." fix your mic. turn the volume up." after all of this drama and messing with this headset for 4 hours. trying to fix it. bending the mic trying many things nothing works, i even googled and found a 3rd party application that boosts a mics sensitivity. this seemed to fix the headset some times. but eventually it would just disappear id have to restart my system for the modification to apply again. i find this to be a very poor design of this headset. and im probably going to just return both these headsets i just purchased. due to the mic being such a hassle for anyone to be able to hear me.

Screenshots of my settings. : https://gyazo.com/a65e647a705344d803f0ce325fd6fd28

TLDR im gonna stick to power supplies and maybe keyboards. i probably wont touch another headset if this issue cant be fixed with a firmware update.

Solved some of my issues after contacting discord on twitter.... we reinstalled the drivers. how ever reinstalling all drivers caused my headset to revert to a normal usb headset. and i lost all functionality, how ever i gained the options for mic boost. and gain.

after installling the Cue software nothing changed.

i had to resort to a windows restore to remove all drivers and programs asociated with this headset.

Plug the dongle in, restart pc.

Plug the headset in via usb cable. restart pc.

Install corsair cue software. Restart PC.

After all this my mic was then at a normal volume for others. how ever the mic is now picking up my breathing. due to its position on my face, and it being directly under my nose instead of shorter by my mouth.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally i don't like having the mic that close to my mouth, i may have a smoke or a drink while wearing the Void. My mic volume was rather low too and the AGC in the audio control panel doesn't seem to do much so i tried a system wide equalizer which has the ability to gain any input or output as well and it works fine with the Void. Using a gain of +3.5db makes the mic volume fine for my purposes.

This is the equalizer, it's open source so you can even check how it works. Maybe not the most user friendly application but it does work. If you try it and find yourself in a spot where the controls of the Configuration Editor don't seem to work anymore go to Settings -> Reset all global preferences. That ought to get you back up and running again.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/support?source=navbar

Edited by Burke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Dont bend the mike... it breaks at the base very easily.

I honestly do not like to be negative. I am in general a big fan of Corsair Products and Service.

I gave up with even trying to use the mike on my Void RGB Headset. Even the Infomic feature gave up working after my first firmware update.

I have had the headset for < 1 year, the mike stalk was in the vertical position most of the time because the mike is useless.

The headset looks like it is brand new. It has been treated with great care.

I just noticed that the base of the mike stalk has cracked.

I am now searching for a glue that can fix it. Nothing seems to work so far. Tried various superglues. No luck.

I really wish I had returned this headset. This is the only Corsair product I regret buying.

Looks great. Comfortable to wear. Wireless is good.

But ... Cost lots. Audio is ~ o.k. Mike / Infomic useless.

Basically I would not describe it as a gaming headset.

Edited by colesdav
Grammar.

• 4 months later...

It's obvious that Corsair spits on their customers. I bought Void Wireless last November and after 6 months of using I faced with the issue that nobody can't hear me well. Yes, mic level was bad from the start but people could even hear me with mic boost via Equalizer Apo. But in the end this program also no longer helped. I created RMA ticket and based on the issue description I was asked to make RMA. Of course this can be considered as an excellent attitude to the client's problem but I think that Corsair perfectly knows about this issue and can't do anything except RMA. One of my friends is working in quite big PC shop and he told me that recently the number of returns of Corsair broken products significantly increased. I really liked Corsair. I bought Corsair PSU (RM650) three years ago and it's still working excelent. I recently bought Corsair's case fans - ML140 and ML140 Pro and they all had ticking sound at low RPM so I had to RMA it. So I'm very disappointed with Corsair's products quality and won't consider Corsair in the next few years.

When I returned my Void Wireless so I bought headset from another manufacturer and this headset is build on the same audio chip as Void Wireless but quality of sound and micro much higher. So I assume that Corsair is using good components in their products but I can't understand why the quality is so lame at the end.

• 2 months later...
I have similar issues in the sense that my microphone volume is really low however, after owning 3 different Corsair products (Void Wireless RGB, K70 RGB and M65 RGB) almost every issue they have has varied wildly from the common issues. My first problem with Corsair was with the K70 RGB that caused any Dark Souls game (1,2 and 3) to not start, this ended up being an issue with CUE but I had searched high and low for an answer and non a single person had a similar issue. My M65 had an issue where it was able to move around and function but it could not actually click any windows, resolved with a CUE reinstallation and once again, nobody shared the issue. Now with my Void headset my mic has gotten extremely low which wasn't an issue before but the most common fix with Equalizer APO doesn't work and I've seen nobody with a similar problem, my issue being that Equalizer APO doesn't even see any audio devices so I cannot configure the microphone on my headset. I love the products Corsair makes from a physical design perspective but hot d**n do they suck when it comes to working properly

• 4 weeks later...

So I thought it was about time to invest in a new headset. WOW.

I'm a disappointed to say the least, I thought I'd purchased a reasonable quality headset only to now find that the mic isn't up to scratch and hasn't been for years.

I'm not a loud speaker and having to install 3rd party software to have the mic work is not what I wanted to be doing. Your mouth position suggestion does not work, I either have to put the mic mm from my mouth or SHOUT to get heard.

I think I will be returning this headset to where I bought it and going back to what I know.

Running CUE 2.14.67 and a wireless Void headset here. I've had my headset for about 18 months with zero issues associated with mic volume control. Skype works without issue. I do not use gaming software to talk during the game.

My only audio/mic concerns come from having to manually select the default communications device from time to time. I have an Audio Technica Microphone connected via usb that is always on so I can communicate without the headset or select the headset and utilize it. This requires going into skype and selecting my speakers and microphone. Occasionally I have to start from the beginning and set the properties in Windows for headset playback, then microphone levels, the back into skype.., etc.

As far as the microphone not picking up.., Anything that my daughter says while in the room +/- 8ft. gets picked up and transmitted, including the television show playing in the background.

I'd suggest that anyone having issues with the Void headset, wireless or wired, has an unresolved driver conflict OR actually has a defective headset. If you cannot get it to function properly using the skype test call after you've configured it in your OS and Skype then you should probably be doing an RMA with Corsair instead of passing the buck back to the store where you purchased it.

• Corsair Employees
So I thought it was about time to invest in a new headset. WOW.

I'm a disappointed to say the least, I thought I'd purchased a reasonable quality headset only to now find that the mic isn't up to scratch and hasn't been for years.

I'm not a loud speaker and having to install 3rd party software to have the mic work is not what I wanted to be doing. Your mouth position suggestion does not work, I either have to put the mic mm from my mouth or SHOUT to get heard.

I think I will be returning this headset to where I bought it and going back to what I know.

Which headset and version of CUE do you currently have installed? Are you having issues with one specific program, or is it in all applications?

• 1 month later...
Which headset and version of CUE do you currently have installed? Are you having issues with one specific program, or is it in all applications?

Am going to step in on this with my issue.

I own a K95 RGB Platinum, a Scimitar Pro RGB and I decided that what my setup needed was the Void Pro RGB USB.

So, I purchased a Void Pro RGB USB a few days ago, I use comms software alot, normally I have game sounds playing though speakers and only comms over headset.

As the audio on the corsair product was so good that I thought I would try it for comms. Apparently not a good idea.

This headset only picks up my voice when I have the microphone placed in my mouth. I have sidetone on full, I have edited the profile xml to unlock the 25 to 100 (why is this a thing?) so I can now raise the Headset Microphone level in Windows properties.

In Teamspeak I had to lower the sensitivity by -30DB to hear myself on the local test. In Discord more. This is with the microphone touching my lips. In a more sensible and comfortable position I hear nothing. I've basically given up.

I've got 2 other headsets that I've used before, I double checked the settings to make sure I wasn't going crazy, this is by far the quietest microphone.

Putting a microphone in your mouth should never be an answer. My other 2 headsets the mic is below and to the left of my mouth, pick up is fine, external noise levels are fine. I have to SHOUT to make this mic work in the same place with all settings at max.

CUE V 2.20.72, Headset CA-9011154-EU

Pretty much returning the product today at this rate. It's too much money to justify half a device.

Sorry for wall of text, really wanted to love this headset out of the box.

EDIT: Headset returned.

Edited by Ingen
Pointless posting about microphone quality.

• 1 year later...
I brought this up with the software team and the headset dev team, what they came back to me with was if we do bump up the sensitivity of the mic using software what would happen is that the mic will be more prone to pick up audio from additional sources. This ultimately defeats the purpose of the noise canceling feature of the mic.

With that said, if users continue to have issues with the mic volumes we can implement a software fix to raise the sensitivity.

I bought mine last Wednesday and still having the same issues. This was posted in 2015...and its 2019.