Corsair Community

New 400R. Need fan screws for top and side panel fan mounting

mothman07

Hello,

Just got a 400R and noticed that there is several long fan screws like those that mount the front fans.

I want to mount fans in the top and side panel and would like to get some screws like the ones used to mount the rear exhaust fan.

The long screws are useless for mounting fans in the top or side panels. If there's a request to fill out to get these screws, please direct me. I'd like to get 20 of these.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the top and side panel work with regular fan screws.

They work, but they wouldn't fit very well. There are two reasons for that:

1. The head of normal fan screws is too small, so the screw could went through the hole. Actually this happened when I tried to unscrew the fan. The head of your custom screws have a wider diameter, perfectly sitting on top of the rubber grommets.

2. The normal fan screws would sit uneven in the mounting hole, because it has a thread from top to bottom. In contrast to that only 2/3 of your custom screw has a thread, the part beneath the head is plain. This is the part which sits inside the rubber grommet.

Here are some pictures to illustrate my words:

The screw i need:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6072/6102964810_01d7515506_m.jpg

This is what it should look like (custom screw):

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6186/6158165177_f6a7b664fd_m.jpg

This is what normal fan screws look like:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6158707116_f87b99ea6f_m.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/6158706388_6d7a9a6ed8_m.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6089/6102420951_37ca766035_m.jpg

I contacted the Technical Support (8/30/2011) and requested those custom screws. And guess what? They sent me a completely new Carbide 400R (9/14/2011)! That's very nice Corsair, great support, but that wouldn't help me solving the problem. All I need are those screws, there is no need to replace the whole case. What am I supposed to do with the case? Shall I send it back to Corsair? I already asked the Technical Support what to do, but the didn't answered yet. Tech Support Case #2235376.

- Fan mounting hole: 0,7 mm

- Rubber grommet: 0,4 mm (inside) | 1,0 mm (outside)

- Corsair's custom fan screw: 1,3 mm (length) | 0,8 mm (head width)

- Normal fan screw: 1,0 mm (lentgh) | 0,6 mm (head width)

I should mention that I use Alumino fan filters installed between side/front panel and fan. The normal fan screw is 0,3 mm shorter compared to the custom one. If I use a washer, then the normal screw may be too short to fix both fan filter and fan (didn't tried that).

I may have a solution for that, I have some UNC 6-32 screws (35 mm lentgh) that I ordered for my H60 but actually don't use them. The head has the same diameter like the custom screws (0,8 mm). The problem is, I don't have the appropriate nuts and I would need to import them from UK. So I thought I will first ask Corsair, whether they can provide me with the custom screw. Never thought they could send me a new case!

If you have tried the Custom screw from Corsair and it fits perfectly with the filter.

Yes, it fits perfectly as you can see in this picture. It shows a custom screw holding a fan filter and case fan.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6186/6158165177_f6a7b664fd_m.jpg

Then give the link to this thread, so they have an idea on what you are talking about.

When I opened a support ticket and talked to the Technical Support, I was asked to explain the problem, so they can try out in their lab. I explained the problem exactly and provided them with the pictures you can see here in this thread (post #5). I don't know if this helps but I will post a link to this thread in my support ticket.

I hope one of the Corsair officials will reply to this thread soon as I don't know what to do with the replacement case.

I would ask what to do with the replacement case.

Already did that, here in this thread and in my support ticket on 09/14/2011. Still got no answer from Tech Support.

Post your RMA number so RAM GUY can email the tech support guys.

I've got no RMA number assigned, apparently they didn't want me to send them anything. Added the Tech Support Case # to post 5.

Anyway, thanks for your help, Toasted!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update: I received the screws two days ago.

The bad news: The ones I received are not the ones I was asking for, they are not included with the 400R, so I guess they originally belong to a different type of case, maybe 600T or 650D.

The good news: it's working!

I've also contacted Corsair about the lack of fan mounting screws too. Hoping to hear from them soon.

Send them a link to the picture of the screw, so they can clearly see what type of screw you requested:

@Corsair: I think it would be a great idea, if you could provide the case with a sufficient amount of fan mounting screws. Everyone who has bought this case and wants to install fans on top or at the side panel will run into the same problem.

Send them a link to the picture of the screw, so they can clearly see what type of screw you requested:

@Corsair: I think it would be a great idea, if you could provide the case with a sufficient amount of fan mounting screws. Everyone who has bought this case and wants to install fans on top or at the side panel will run into the same problem.

I agree 100%

Even the Quick Start Guide shows screws similar to the above picture, but there are none to be found. It even says in the guide - "Can Be Used On All Fan Locations" :confused:

@OP - Yes I have sent in a RMA and a link to this thread. Hopefully I can get a similar result from Corsair.

• 2 weeks later...
im confused im doing my first build ever soon and this is the case i plan on using..i plan on putting 1 or 2 fans on top will there be any issues with screws for me

If you plan on using the defaullt fan screws found on regular cases, then yes, you will have problems.

You will need screws similar to the picture shown on the previous page. Corsair use a custom screw for their fan mounting.

im confused im doing my first build ever soon and this is the case i plan on using..i plan on putting 1 or 2 fans on top will there be any issues with screws for me

Someone from Corsair told me, that it should work with normal screws, if you don't fasten them too tight. I never tried this because I have fan filters installed between case and fan. Anoher soultion could be to use UNC 6-32 screws (with wide head) and appropriate nuts. Anyway, the custom Corsair screws are fitting best.

• Corsair Employee
If you are having similar issues with these screws, please submit an RMA request and explain what the problem is. We will provide you the appropriate screws. It may take some time but we will send them out to get this issue fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are having similar issues with these screws, please submit an RMA request and explain what the problem is. We will provide you the appropriate screws. It may take some time but we will send them out to get this issue fixed.

Seriously, I paid $140 for a case and you guys can't even include a few screws to hook up a fan. Then I submit an RMA request and it said I would receive a response in UNDER 24 hours. Took over 24 hours for a response... but all was good because you guys asked for my address and that you would confirm within 48 hours.

It's been 9 days without a confirmation. Why do you guys make promises you can't keep? I'm seriously disappointed with Corsair. I was looking at a Force 3 or Force GT as well, but I will definitely pass on that.

I'm in the same boat... shouldn't have to join the forums and post to get a response for an RMA.

+1. I just received a response asking what case I need screws for. WTF? What's the point of asking for the case model when you submit a ticket if the support people can't even look it up? Corsair support is inept.

I wouldn't be quite as upset if I wasn't lied to TWICE.

I'm also quite upset that there were no instructions... just a pamphlet listing half the features of the case and pictures of the screws (which btw, don't look anything like the screws included.) They made a decent case and then hired a complete moron to design the fan mounts and "instructions"

Same here... I opened a ticket for the screws, they asked for the address, but after that no confirmation or update on the status.

I assume that the screws are not available yet? And that we'll have an update when they arrive?

It would be nice if someone would give us an update on this issue...

Archived